What is the deal here. Sheriffs and other LEO agencies are now considered DHS?!?

This is a discussion on What is the deal here. Sheriffs and other LEO agencies are now considered DHS?!? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "Sheriff, we'll give you tons of federal money if you'll wear these DHS patches on your deputies' uniforms and keep an eye out for suspicious ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What is the deal here. Sheriffs and other LEO agencies are now considered DHS?!?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Sheriff, we'll give you tons of federal money if you'll wear these DHS patches on your deputies' uniforms and keep an eye out for suspicious terrorist activities."

The obvious answer? "Sure, why not?"
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

I'll need to verify, but my wife explained to me that it was a DHS way to both save money and expand their personnel numbers.

By giving these agencies the grant money, the LEOs needed to attend a class/get certified, to wear the patch. Once they were "Blessed" by DHS, they were then empowered to act in the name of DHS if they observe something that falls in that jurisdiction, or be called upon by DHS to act in their name.

Looks good on paper. The big picture is a bit disturbing though.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Yeah, "nothing to worry about here folks, move along, move along..."

Bull puckey.

Sorry to the poster regarding "Incident Commander" FEMA and "just follow the law of the land." DHS with LEO disarmed the folks in the wake of Katrina...

As to the lack of support for conspiracy theories... This country was FORMED by a conspiracy of a very few folks who were able to rally the people to their side...

We now have a standing army... which the founders opposed...

And, that isn't enough... Let's bring all the LE agencies under one banner domestically... not states working independently, not counties within those states, not municipalities... It's (going to become)all one big DOMESTIC standing army...

Don't feed me the line that "these are not the droids I'm looking for" Your FORCE won't work on me... I know better.

And just because you ain't seen it on your badges yet... it's a comin'. Put your ear down on the rail, you can hear it a looooong way off... and it's coming your way, too.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Let's not forget Real ID either.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I'll need to verify, but my wife explained to me that it was a DHS way to both save money and expand their personnel numbers.

By giving these agencies the grant money, the LEOs needed to attend a class/get certified, to wear the patch. Once they were "Blessed" by DHS, they were then empowered to act in the name of DHS if they observe something that falls in that jurisdiction, or be called upon by DHS to act in their name.

Looks good on paper. The big picture is a bit disturbing though.
    Interesting....but DHS does not equal DOJ. That's quite a conundrum, because the Attorney General of the U.S. is the Chief LEO, the Secretary for Homeland Security is not. DHS cannot bring charges to trial...only the DOJ can (at the Federal level). Someone more knowledgeable please let me know if I'm off the reservation on this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Interesting....but DHS does not equal DOJ. That's quite a conundrum, because the Attorney General of the U.S. is the Chief LEO, the Secretary for Homeland Security is not. DHS cannot bring charges to trial...only the DOJ can (at the Federal level). Someone more knowledgeable please let me know if I'm off the reservation on this.
    Maybe a tad off the reservation. Practically every acronym named Agency has some law enforcement component with arrest powers. They turn their cases over to DOJ for prosecution. It doesn't much matter who does the arrest.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^ That ^^
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yawn....someone wake me when the black helicopters approach.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I can see receiving training and funding from the DHS, but wearing some kind of patch or insignia? Being referred to as DHS officials? When you complete training it becomes a line item on your record, maybe you get a certificate to hang on your wall or an award; but insignia and identity changes send up a red flag as far as I'm concerned.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I didn't say anything about arrest...only DOJ can file charges
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Maybe a tad off the reservation. Practically every acronym named Agency has some law enforcement component with arrest powers. They turn their cases over to DOJ for prosecution. It doesn't much matter who does the arrest.
    This is something that I have written and called my Representatives about numerous times. No agency that has the power to create rules, regulations or laws, that make citizens subject to arrest, should have the power to enforce those laws. It should be left to the proper law enforcement agencies.
    Even the founding fathers knew to make the law creators and the law enforcers into separate branches of government. They knew not to allow one branch to much power on its own.

Michael
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    When you want to see the boogeyman behind every tree, you will...
    And when you can't see the forest for the trees.............

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    This is something that I have written and called my Representatives about numerous times. No agency that has the power to create rules, regulations or laws, that make citizens subject to arrest, should have the power to enforce those laws. It should be left to the proper law enforcement agencies.
    Even the founding fathers knew to make the law creators and the law enforcers into separate branches of government. They knew not to allow one branch to much power on its own.

Michael
    I think there is a serious misunderstanding about how rule making gets done; and the difference between regulations and laws. All regulations have to be consistent with some piece of enabling legislation. All (with some security sensitive exceptions) get published in The Federal Register with a comment period for the public to submit comments. The Agencies must respond in some fashion and publish the responses before the rules are finalized. Stuff doesn't just happen because someone feels like it.

The sad fact is that most of the time few pay attention to proposed rules and so the only folks who respond are those with a special interest in the subject; or advocacy groups; or specific industry groups. That's one mechanism by which things get skewed in favor of one group or another.

Most of us don't scour the Federal Register --and if we pay attention at all it is only to one or two things we are particularly interested in.

But, you are correct still in that we have way too many different special law enforcement groups. It is on the one hand efficient to have the specialization and on the other it seems too disorganized and goofy a way to run the show.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I am still trying to figure out why some large police forces, usually swat teams are wearing green digital Cammies with brand new desert tan boots and subdued green and black american flags?

A swat team in the middle of charlotte shouldnt be wearing desert tan camoflauge. but what do i know, never been a cop
    as far as the flags, red, blue and white should be worn. whats wrong with a police uniform? why cammies? and why the latest digital cammies?
    I know they probably have thier reasons, but isnt that a waste of money?

I dont know

Because digital is what's in right now for the military and swat teams are very military organized. But ur right desert boots don't go well with green clothing. Most officers in swat teams are ex military.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links