What is the deal here. Sheriffs and other LEO agencies are now considered DHS?!?

This is a discussion on What is the deal here. Sheriffs and other LEO agencies are now considered DHS?!? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been seeing a great deal of police officers, sheriffs and the like being called "Enforcement officer for the Department of Homeland Security", and wearing ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What is the deal here. Sheriffs and other LEO agencies are now considered DHS?!?

What is the deal here. Sheriffs and other LEO agencies are now considered DHS?!?

I've been seeing a great deal of police officers, sheriffs and the like being called "Enforcement officer for the Department of Homeland Security", and wearing patches stating the like on their uniform.

Are we becoming a nation with 1, count em, 1 - single police force run by a federal agency?

Not trying to raise the tin foil hat alarm, but I do find this a little unsettling.

If so, that would make them larger than the combined US Military/National Guard.
    oneshot likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Huh? Where is this? Is this on local LE uniforms?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Clark County NV (Las Vegas PD), Larimer County Sheriffs - CO are two that I know for sure, (I want to say that the Denver Police was also sporting the badge), since they were both in the news, and I saw the NV up close and personal last month. Given that Larimer County is rather insignificant - not a whole lot of terrorist targets other than a couple of water supplies, I can safely presume that there are many many more.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    It would appear as though this may be the innocuous approach to ultimately begin to lump all states and local agencies together someday.

If you click on the link I've provided: "Enforcement officer for the Department of Homeland Security" patch - Google Search
    you'll see 183,000 entries for patches and most of them are not patches, but what is, are federal in nature, but as you begin to scroll through you will see counties and cities with their own patches with some form of reference to homeland security on it.

Who's to say if there is a diabolical plot at work?
    IMHO=YES.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

My opinion is this....

In a word yes. I do believe this to be a power grab by law enforcement.(if it's true) Looking at the big picture averyone should be able to wear a homeland security patch on everything from a housecoat to a plumbers work uniform. Were all responsible for the security of our homeland.

As far as local police sporting it I do wonder why. I'm hoping it has something to do with funding for preparedness. Or just some locals claiming their contribution to homeland security. IMO if it's on marching orders from the feds then I find it scary.

The federal law enforcement system was set up so that this country could never become a police state. No agency had the power or legal standing to act outside their assigned violations. The closest thing we had to a national police department was the U.S. Parks service police.

Then came the "WAR ON DRUGS", and all the funding that came with it. The F.B.I. went to congress to make changes in the laws so they could get in on the act, and funding... Then the BATF got involved. Now we have this "Homeland Security" umbrella that combines all manner of federal law enforcement under this patriot act to become some super-agency. IMO it is getting scary.

I do know that the LV Metro Police signed a memo of understanding with ICE to enforce immigration law at the jail. I'm not sure about them enforcing anything else. Ill look around some more.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Does the patch come with a sash?

It's not just a matter of sporting a patch on the uniform. The news has been referring to them as - DHS enforcement officers - involved in reporting to a domestic call. This particular incident was in Larimer County CO, it was the County Sheriffs, just now referred to as DHS officers.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    When you want to see the boogeyman behind every tree, you will...
    kb2wji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Does the patch come with a sash?
    You beat me to it!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I do know the federal government has wasted a lot of our money inlaw enforcement training that they will never use or know how to use. If they take certain courses they get fed. money.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    You beat me to it!
    I am inclined to agree with your assessment. My problem with it is that if Secret Spuk is who he says he is, with the background he claims, I think his viewpoint is worth paying attention to.

I don't think our Federal Government, or our State Government and many of our local governments are sufficiently together to enter into any sort of conspiracy, so I'm leaning toward your view Hiram; but ... with an eye askance given what Sticks reported.

Patches of course can be bought anywhere and just as I've seen ordinary folks walking around with T shirts saying NYPD, I think maybe someone thought they would look cool--- like CWP Badges.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Before I retired I was a sergeant for a large LE agency and I was one of those that took the FEMA training for incident commander in case of a nation emergency. It's just classes that you attend which at the end ur tested on the information uv been presented and it's in three different parts or levels. I took all three levels and all it does s gets everyone on the same sheet of music on the ways to do things in case of a national emergency. I was trained to be a incident commander of an area if the need ever did arise. Let me say that there is no crap about controlling the people of this country. It's all about protecting citizens, federal and state highways, state and federal prisons, courts houses, jails, etc. it's about keeping this country running just like it is but under emergency conditions just in case of any thing that could disrupt our way of life. Way too many seeing things that are not. Just live ur lives, follow the law of the land and everything is fine. Just be sure to go vote. Myself I vote conservative the American way as I believe it to be. Oh we had those Homeland security mottos put on our new patches. It all stems from being American and us all on the same wagon for protecting our homeland and working together for the common cause. The cause ? To keep American safe..that's it just like sports teams wearing the American flag on their uniforms after 911. Basically it states that we r all in this together and we r working together. What can citizens do? If they see something that might seem out of the ordinary report it to the local authorities for them to check out. Yes we all r under the umbrella of the US of A.
    Chad Rogers likes this.

Senior Moderator
    No such animal here. I'll beleive it when I see it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

DHS Conspiracy

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I am inclined to agree with your assessment. My problem with it is that if Secret Spuk is who he says he is, with the background he claims, I think his viewpoint is worth paying attention to.

I don't think our Federal Government, or our State Government and many of our local governments are sufficiently together to enter into any sort of conspiracy, so I'm leaning toward your view Hiram; but ... with an eye askance given what Sticks reported.

Patches of course can be bought anywhere and just as I've seen ordinary folks walking around with T shirts saying NYPD, I think maybe someone thought they would look cool--- like CWP Badges.
    I'm aware of local PDs purchasing Armored Vehicles and equipment with a DHS Grants. The patriot Act I believe allows for Feds to Federalize locals should there be another attack or we 2nd ammendment guys get out of hand when the Big "O" declares himself our King and they come to take our weapons away. Other than that I think the sky will fall November 6th, 2012 and the world will end shortly there after!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links