Friendly fire... now we need TSA at train stations

This is a discussion on Friendly fire... now we need TSA at train stations within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some LEOs undercover and a felon with a gun on a train... One LEO shot in the hand, John Q shot in shoulder, BG dead. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hiram25
  • 1 Post By paramedic70002

Thread: Friendly fire... now we need TSA at train stations

Some LEOs undercover and a felon with a gun on a train...

One LEO shot in the hand, John Q shot in shoulder, BG dead. The outcome was acceptable... but the last words of the reporter in this story is that we need security in train stations just like they have at airports... I beg to differ...

Here's the story
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

That's just it. The felon came on board with his gun, BG's don't follow the law. Laws should not prohibit us from protecting ourselves, even on trains.
    shooterX likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    That's just it. The felon came on board with his gun, BG's don't follow the law. Laws should not prohibit us from protecting ourselves, even on trains.
    I agree, laws should not prohibit us from protecting ourselves. Here is a question: what would be your opinion of going through metal, i.e. weapon, detectors to board the trains and if you are called out as having a weapon that you pass as long as you are legal? What about open carry, assuming it is legal, but without a permit? The objective being to prevent or discourage the BG, but not infringe on the law abiding.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Gunman killed on train by Dallas police didn’t fire shots during confrontation; 2 others hurt - The Washington Post

Oops:

Preliminary findings indicate no gunshots were fired from the handgun brandished Monday afternoon by the suspect, who was identified Tuesday as Stephen Ray Malone Jr., 32, of Waterford, Mich., by Dallas County’s medical examiner.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Why was that an oops? Do the bad guys need to shoot first?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    When apparently only the LEOs were shooting, and an LEO and a citizen get shot, I'd call that an oopsie.
    MattInFla likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    From the article quoted in #4:
    Police Chief David Brown said the suspect pointed a gun at officers after refusing to allow them to search his bags, prompting the officers to fire.
    Ok, even for civilians this is grounds for shooting.
    Another officer they yelled ‘Gun!’ and drew his weapon, then fired at the suspect. The other two officers also fired, Brown said
    So three of them were shooting.
    “During this altercation, an innocent bystander sitting across the aisle from where the suspects were received non-life-threatening injuries from a gunshot wound,” Brown said.
    So they hit someone who wasn't involved in the situation. And ...
    Sr. Cpl. Samuel Hussey, a 22-year veteran assigned to the Narcotics Division, also was shot and was being treated at Baylor University Medical Center, police said.
    And one of them hit one of their own team.

On this forum how often we recite the mantra about needing to be cognizant of your surrounding and being responsible for every bullet that comes out of your weapon? It sounds to me like these LEO were poorly trained and did not have an appropriate strategy for how to approach and handle a suspect, let alone engage one who responds with lethal force. I also wonder if it were a civilian who did the shooting, would there be a penalty for hitting the innocent bystander? If so, what should be the penalty for the officers in this case? Again from the article:
    Brown said the train was a safer place to confront the suspect than in the train station lobby.
    Small comfort to the innocent guy who got shot.

All I got to say is thank god it wasn't one of us shooting 2 innocent people or we would be eating nasty baloney sammiches
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There is never a perfect shooting situation in my opinion, some maybe better than others though. Response time when a criminal whips out a firearm can be mere seconds and you really are not aware of all the surroundings, the focus will be on the bad person and their firearm.

It's kind of like looking down a tunnel or having blinders on, you just see what is in front of you and you will not be looking around.

We have all (hopefully) fired a handgun, but not all of us in a crowded environment, it's usually at a pristine site and getting to take ample time to aim and fire. Stick any of us into that situation of a split-second decision to shoot or not to shoot and perhaps the outcome would be exactly the same or worse.

All any of us and Law Enforcement people can do is to train for such an event and use that training to minimalize the collateral damage in a situation these guys were faced with.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    . . .

On this forum how often we recite the mantra about needing to be cognizant of your surrounding and being responsible for every bullet that comes out of your weapon? It sounds to me like these LEO were poorly trained and did not have an appropriate strategy for how to approach and handle a suspect, let alone engage one who responds with lethal force. I also wonder if it were a civilian who did the shooting, would there be a penalty for hitting the innocent bystander? If so, what should be the penalty for the officers in this case? Again from the article:

. . .
    I wonder the same (of the part in red/bold), and this is what I've been trying to convey of late. We're supposed to know our target and what is behind it (or around it). Another question... If BG with gun is on one side of the train, and innocent is on the other side of the train how does the innocent bystander get hit? In the shoulder?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I assume from shooting sideways and not sure where he hit the BG to get to the bystander!!?? Who knows, for sure, but they will find out!!
    NRA Member
    Ruger LC9
    Taurus PT92 AF
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (2)
    If you are going to shoot at Mimes, should you use a silencer?? ( Steven Wright)

Maybe ricochet? It is a metal train...that many injuries is hard to picture.

Be Safe!
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

there has been 4 deaths on the Dallas rail system since nov 2011... Three murders and this shooting death so far. The hoods are working the rail systems because there is little to no police presences

DHS power struggle

Terrible situation.

There has been much speculation that the TSA has had plans to roll out security to more than airports, to cover other means of public transportation, such as trains and buses. If an incident like what happened in Madrid were to go down on our soil, watch for the media and the public to cry out for it.

I personally would not be in support of it.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Sponsored Links