Inadvertent TSA Airport Test - and FAIL!

This is a discussion on Inadvertent TSA Airport Test - and FAIL! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So in the past few months, I've been traveling quite a bit for work. I have pretty much the same routine when going through the ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By SpencerB
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Inadvertent TSA Airport test - and FAIL!

Inadvertent TSA Airport test - and FAIL!

So in the past few months, I've been traveling quite a bit for work. I have pretty much the same routine when going through the airports and grab the same equipment bad (work in IT), that includes 1-2 laptops and associated equipment, few thumb drives, few portable external HDs, etc. Always in the same bag and only swap out a laptop for a tablet once in a while. Reason I bring this up is... I just realized a few minutes ago that I had accidentally left a full tube on sun tan lotion in one of the pockets. In all the security check-points at several airports, no TSA officer ever stopped me and asked about it, or made me get rid of it. So all the people getting strip searched, personally violated, molested... I've been getting through fine with a 3oz tube of sunblock (in the fall and winter months, no less) just fine. Now, obviously, I have no malintent and there is in fact, 3oz of sunblock in the tube, not some explosive compound. But it amazes me that I've been through DFW, JFK, ORD, LGA, CLT, and MSY with 3x as much as is allowed by TSA.

Now that I realize I had it in my bag, it has been removed and will not be making any more trips with me... but I have to be honest... I thought about continuing the test to see if anyone at the airports I'll be visiting in the next couple months would catch it. Just wanted to share the interesting finding.

OpJ

photo.jpg

2. Remove Ads

It's because it's a 3 oz bottle, anything 3 oz or less is allowed in the carry-ons
    Rock and Glock and TN_Mike like this.

ahhhh.... I just went back and reviewed TSA's policy... it used to be less than 3oz. Disregard then... my whole premise is null and void. Thanks Spencer. Haha.

3.5 ounces though, and you'd have been in "prolonged detention" until the end of the "war on terrer." With the rest of the "terrerists."

You know, the moms with 6 oz of breast milk in the pump container, The guy with OCD that has to have his disinfectant... and the shoe stink bomber... they guy with "black foot" that had to take his shoes off was considered a WMD in his own right, they may never let him go.

Wouldn't that be terrorble!
    Hopyard likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Haha... I'm about to have fun with TSA end of this month when my wife, 4yr old son, 9mo old daughter, and I fly to see my family in Chicago. My daughter takes formula... and between 6 & 8oz at a time now. Between the time we get thru security at DFW and clear security in Chicago she will take 2, possibly 3 bottles of formula. So thats somewhere between 12oz and 24oz of formula we need to have on-hand. We'll see what they say about it.

According to the TSA website, you have to declare (like a firearm??) formula, but it is permitted in "reasonable" quantities, exceeding 3oz. So whats to stop a terrorist from saying "That? Oh thats my baby formula for Terrorist Jr."

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I like the Full Body Scanners, I figure if they really want to look at a slightly over weight 53 year old man let'em look, they have deep problems.

On the other hand, I wonder if the guy choosing me to go through the body scanner is really setting up his buddy who is looking at the scans.

By the way I have not had any problems going through security check points, if you follow the rules and the instructions you receive you can sail right through.

I have had more problems clearing customs, I think because of the Middle East countries I travel to for work.

Semperfi

Shoulda swapped it out for a tube of KY,that way when you get stopped for secondary inspection you can whip it out and say I came prepared ,be gentle
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Shoulda swapped it out for a tube of KY,that way when you get stopped for secondary inspection you can whip it out and say I came prepared ,be gentle
    I'd be afraid they would get the rubber gloves out and take me up on it.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

TSA...full of idiots run by idiots.

Links