Houston PD attains ISO 9001 certification

This is a discussion on Houston PD attains ISO 9001 certification within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I thought this was an interesting article. This is one of the first LE agencies, that I'm aware of, to attain certification. Houston Cops Get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Houston PD attains ISO 9001 certification

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

Houston PD attains ISO 9001 certification

I thought this was an interesting article. This is one of the first LE agencies, that I'm aware of, to attain certification.

Houston Cops Get ISO 9001-Certified
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    I thought this was an interesting article. This is one of the first LE agencies, that I'm aware of, to attain certification.

Houston Cops Get ISO 9001-Certified
    I read the article and still have no idea what it means. Sounds like something written by an MBA in public affairs.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Administrator
    Lol, be proud Houston. You're wasting thousands and thousands of dollars.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I read the article and still have no idea what it means. Sounds like something written by an MBA in public affairs.
    I know, I know, I apologize. If you're not in this type of business, i.e. Quality Management Systems (QMS), it does sound like a lot of gobbledy goop. Basically ISO 9001 is an internationally recognized standard/framework for defining and documenting your own procedures and practices and then complying with them. You then pay a (third party) registrar/auditor (a lot of money), to come into your facilities/organization to verify and validate that you're doing what you say you were going to do in your procedures.

Of course, it's a bit more complicated to implement something such as this, but essentially, that's about it. The value and purpose of taking on this type of endeavor is to develop a system of quality assurance that establishes control over your processes and operations via standardized work and practices which then (hopefully) result in predictable outcomes. From a marketing, or in this case public relations pespective, it tells the "customer" that your organization does things in a disciplined, predictable and controlled manner.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Senior Moderator
    The value and purpose of taking on this type of endeavor is to develop a system of quality assurance that establishes control over your processes and operations via standardized work and practices which then (hopefully) result in predictable outcomes
    ISO is only about one thing. Control of all things as adminstered by a Global Government. It's a move towards one world goverment...nothing more, nothing less.

Why a Police Dept wants to get ISO certified is beyond me. They dang sure dont need an International Organization advising them on how deal with law enforcement matters.
    Once you lose local control of anything...you'll never get it back.

This is just a step in that direction.
    Secret Spuk and dV8r like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

ISO certification is sometimes required by a customer you want to do business with. Many of the requirements for certification can be helpful
    in organizing and developing good procedures to make your operation efficient. I can see where some of these things could help any business
    or organization. I'm not sure why going all the way to certification was really necessary for a police department.

Before I retired the company I worked for became ISO certified. The certification has nothing to do with quality. It has everything to do with repeatability and documentation.
    If for instance we made a poor quality product that was properly documented and poorly made in the exact same way every time it would pass their inspection.
    If on the other hand we made a high quality product that did not have the proper documentation, it would fail the inspection.
    You could make concrete canoes to be sold to backpackers in the desert and if properly documented they could wear the ISO approved label.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Before I retired the company I worked for became ISO certified. The certification has nothing to do with quality. It has everything to do with repeatability and documentation.
    If for instance we made a poor quality product that was properly documented and poorly made in the exact same way every time it would pass their inspection.
    If on the other hand we made a high quality product that did not have the proper documentation, it would fail the inspection.
    You could make concrete canoes to be sold to backpackers in the desert and if properly documented they could wear the ISO approved label.

Michael
    I thought so.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Sounds just like government work . . . .
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Sounds like a waste of a large sum of money to me. But, Tally XD just said that...
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I'll bet there is "some money to be followed" in Houston.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

What will happen is whoever ran the project from the PD will leave, become a consultant, help other agencies acquire the same certification and charge a large amount of money to do so. The PD's current processes / procedures will slow to a crawl, paper work will increase, and he "users" of the system will never get any work done. The upside is every officer's show laces will be exactly the same size, could be do to short to tie shoes but non the less the same size.

I work in IT for pharma. Literally what would take us 5 minutes now takes a week because of the paper work. Quality has not increased.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's more big business eyewash.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

More wasted money, more paperwork, and it means absolutely nothing.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    More wasted money, more paperwork, and it means absolutely nothing
    Not quite.

They get to fly an ISO flag out in front of the office right beside the American Flag and State Flag.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links