Officer Down.

Officer Down.

This is a discussion on Officer Down. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today IMPD Officer Dewey Runnels was shot during a routine traffic stop on Indy's east side. Dewey was fired upon several times by the driver ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nutrodoc

Thread: Officer Down.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

Officer Down.

Today IMPD Officer Dewey Runnels was shot during a routine traffic stop on Indy's east side. Dewey was fired upon several times by the driver of the vehicle, even though he was struck in the leg Dewey still returned fire killing the suspect. He is in good condition and will be released from the hospital tomorrow. Officer Runnels is a fine example of what IMPD stands for and needs to be commended.

"Chief Ciesielski visited the wounded officer in the hospital and said Runnels told him "this is what you pay me for." Runnels told Ciesielski that he's ready to get back on patrol."

Officer shot, suspect killed on east side - 13 WTHR
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

When I was the defensive tactics training officer for my department, reviewed all incident reports that involved any degree of violence. One thing I told my officers was to eliminate the word "routine" from there reports and from their thinking. There is no such thing as routine patrol or a routine traffic stop. My handcuff case was previously owned by a New Mexico State Police officer who during a "routine" traffic stop to inform the driver that a tail light was out, was fatally shot. Unknown to the officer, the driver had just committed an armed robbery and thought that's why he was being stopped. Routine = awareness condition white. There is no place for that on patrol. I don't even go on "routine" walks with my wife and dog. I'm not paranoid, but I am aware of my surroundings and I check behind us frequently. The walks are still enjoyable and I'm not tense or anxious - just observant.
    NY27 likes this.

Life in not routine...glad this officer will be OK.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

One for the good guys.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Wounded in-the-line-of-duty Officer, not very good but at least alive.

Dead offender. Priceless.

+1,000 Officer Runnels. Thank you for your service.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    He should get an award for saving the state money (cost of trial).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

sgb
    Awesome job Officer Dewey Runnels, Rot In Demetrius
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Happy it turned out as it should this time!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Links