Just who are "UN peacekeepers"

This is a discussion on Just who are "UN peacekeepers" within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; UN peacekeepers come from all over, a short list. A team provides much of the Command and control of the B team. In the Congo ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just who are "UN peacekeepers"

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    UN peacekeepers come from all over, a short list. A team provides much of the Command and control of the B team. In the Congo Pakistani troops supported by Indian helicopters kicked butt very well.

A team members are:

NATO members
    Scandinavian
    French

B team
    India
    Russia
    Ukraine
    Pakistan
    Malaysia
    South American (result may very vary from good to poor)
    Japanese (limited deployment potential, may move to A team in future)

Bottom of the barrel

Indonesia (although they can be tough, poorly led, almost B team need better officers)
    Egypt ( With the right training and Officers could be B team)
    Jordon (although they can be good, can not be used in the ME)
    Bangladesh
    African troops
    Iranian
    Others

2. Remove Ads

still makes you wonder why it always seems that the vast majority of the UN members are actually US members? kinda funny that they tell us what do to huh!...lmao

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman View Post
    I only remember one U.S. soldier who refused to put on a U.N uniform. I believe he was court marshalled, jailed and dishonorably discharged. It should be a volunteer position.
    That would be SP/4 Michael New. He became a poster boy for the John Birch Society against the NWO.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Here's a lovely thought: Nearly all US authorities agree that it's only a matter of time before terrorists are able to detonate a nuke here on US soil. In the event of such a disaster, it is almost certain that our concerned "allies" would call for UN forces to travel to the US to "help" with disaster relief. Once they hit our shores we'll NEVER be rid of them. It'd be like letting a kid loose in a candy store. Looting on a Biblical scale. Lock up your daughters, too! Maybe the gunowners would react....but don't count on it. Especially if an unfriendly Presidential administration is in place. I'm not only speaking of the Democrats. John McCain would make the Clinton "gun ban" look like the joke it was. So would Mitt Romney. So would Rudy Gulianni. Those are all serious Republican Presidential contenders.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Colin I hate to disagree with ya man, but Bangladesh has one of the best military forces in the world. They are extremely well disciplined and have some fairly good weapons. Their officer corps are top notch as well. The only problem is that they are becoming burnt-out. Their military is set-up for local conflicts in their region of the world and 2/3 of their standing military has been sent overseas for peacekeeping operations in the last few years. The U.N. doesn't deploy military units with any forethought so they continually deploy these guys because of their excellent results inthe past, but the strain is beginning to show.

Their only downfall is their lack of access to supermodern weapons and technology (less-than-lethal, crowd control, etc).
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Question Bangladesh...close to India?

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Colin I hate to disagree with ya man, but Bangladesh has one of the best military forces in the world. They are extremely well disciplined and have some fairly good weapons.
    Isn't Bangladesh close to India? Isn't India the home of the GHURKAS? I trained with those guys a long time ago. Scary. Very scary troops.

Colin I hate to disagree with ya man, but Bangladesh has one of the best military forces in the world. They are extremely well disciplined and have some fairly good weapons. Their officer corps are top notch as well. The only problem is that they are becoming burnt-out. Their military is set-up for local conflicts in their region of the world and 2/3 of their standing military has been sent overseas for peacekeeping operations in the last few years. The U.N. doesn't deploy military units with any forethought so they continually deploy these guys because of their excellent results inthe past, but the strain is beginning to show.

Their only downfall is their lack of access to supermodern weapons and technology (less-than-lethal, crowd control, etc).
    No problem with disagreeing with me, this is the first time I have heard this support for them, so I will have to look into it more. I just read at http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/cong.../20060222.aspx an interesting article that would put Guatemala and South Africa into the B team.

Yeah. Its the last place anyone would expect to find or hear about something like that. If I hadn't JUST done a briefing on Kosovo/Serbia (Don't ask) I would have said the SAME thing that you did. I was pretty blown away so I looked into it myself. Most people can't even find Bangladesh on a map.

Has anyone here ever served or worked with them??? I read reports from some unit commanders, etc, but nothing ever first-hand.

And yeah, ExSoldier, you're dead on. Its surrounded by India on all sides, if I'm not mistaken. And yeah, the Ghurkas are some terrifying people. I remember hearing the SAS learned a LOT from them. But, I could be wrong - just something I *thought* I heard.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Talking Been a little while since I TAUGHT geography....

And yeah, ExSoldier, you're dead on. Its surrounded by India on all sides, if I'm not mistaken. And yeah, the Ghurkas are some terrifying people. I remember hearing the SAS learned a LOT from them. But, I could be wrong - just something I *thought* I heard.
    Nice to know I've still got it in the geography dept. I trained with lessee....the Ghurkas, 1st SAS, 1st PARA and Her Majesty's 3rd Royal Anglian Infantry back in the mid 80's when we played host to the bunch at Fort Lewis. British troops get a BEER ration in the field! Bloody good. Them boys can drink, too.

I knew a guy that was attached with an UN Iranian battalion, one night they mutinied and killed all of their officers, the 5 Canadians spent the night barricaded in their barracks with their weapons at the ready.

Another friend of mine was stationed in Damascus, Syria. Once a week they go up on the roof of the UN building and watch the public hangings.

One of the bigger surprises in Africa is how close the Pakistani and Indian militaries work together, considering they are sworn enemies at home!

Beer rations?!!?!? Unfair!!!!

Colin: That's some amazing stuff!!! I always like to hear about the little things that never makes it to the news or is hushed-up.
    My friend's dad used to do security for the US State Dept. He was sitting on a hotel room balcony in Beruit (as you can guess, this was many years ago) enjoying a quick drink before heading out for the night. As he was scanning across the city, he said he saw a plume of smoke from a backyard and then a missile track up into the sky and arc towards him.
    Then it just exploded in mid-air. Needless to say, he finished the bottle and stayed home that night.
    After the Marines mopped-up, they found out it was a wire-guided missile and the wire had caught on the backyard wall, cut, and detonated the missile.
    Who needs luck when you've got idiots for enemies? lol j/k
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

Here's the latest I've heard:

Italians take lead role in UN force

Richard Owen and Richard Beeston
    August 21, 2006
    ITALY, rather than France, has emerged as the leading European contributor to the UN force in Lebanon after the Italian centre-left cabinet approved the deployment of troops.

A statement issued after the cabinet meeting did not give the size of the Italian contingent, but UN officials confirmed reports in the Italian media at the weekend that Rome was to deploy about 3000 troops.

The announcement came after the shock decision by France late last week not to commit the 5000 troops it had originally suggested to lead the force.

France has 200 soldiers serving in the UN in southern Lebanon and has offered to send only another 200.........

Along with Italy and France, Bangladesh, Indonesia and Finland have promised troops. Other possible contributors are Spain, Turkey and Germany.

I also heard:

Bangladash: 2,000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links