Just who are "UN peacekeepers"

This is a discussion on Just who are "UN peacekeepers" within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With all thats going on in the middle east, and the cease fire deal from the UN that mandates UN forces get much more involved ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

With all thats going on in the middle east, and the cease fire deal from the UN that mandates UN forces get much more involved to enforce the deal between Isreal, Hesbollla, and Lebenon.. I had a question pop in my head. Just who are UN peasekeepers. Where do they come from? I have never served in the military, but if I would have I can't imagine serving for any other country but my own. What made UN soldiers decide to serve for the UN instead of the military forces of there own nation?

Administrator
    Indonesia has volunteered 1,000 troops and OMG I hate to even type it but, efforts are underway for FRANCE to send some.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    What made UN soldiers decide to serve for the UN instead of the military forces of there own nation?
    Usually they serve because they are ordered to by their Country. Remember when the US forces fought in Korea initially, technically they were UN forces.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    The problem with "Peace Keepers" today is two fold. First the must be a peace to keep. Second the terms must be enforced equally. Does anyone really think these "Peace Keepers" will enforce any term on Hezbollah? I seriously doubt it. Considering Europe's treatment of Jews historically. The terrorists need to be completely detroyed. There will be no peace as long as any party is obsessed with the extinction of Isreal. Hezbollah is trying to complete Hitler's work and the UN knows it but does not care. Time for the UN to go the way of Wilson's League of Nations. The Jews should not be forced to fight for survival with both hands tied behind their backs. We should cut them lose. Sorry I got rather winded but it took a mind of its own. I am not Jewish but every now and then the underdog needs an even break, and they are not getting one.

I heard on the news today that Lebanon is sending troops and tanks to border but will not Inage hesbolla.
    Then what the hell are thy gonna do there? I bet they point their tanks at Israel.
    THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN THE WORLD IS BETWEEN A MOTHER AND HER CHILDREN.
    -Lady Liberty-
    United Stats Army,(Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Usually they serve because they are ordered to by their Country. Remember when the US forces fought in Korea initially, technically they were UN forces.
    Yes, but isn't there a difference between a nation sending troops to enforce a UN mandate and the UNIFIL troops who wear the blue helmets?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    Yes, but isn't there a difference between a nation sending troops to enforce a UN mandate and the UNIFIL troops who wear the blue helmets?
    Wouldn't be my life on it, but I don't think so. The UN has no standing army, all the troops are "donated" by member countries to the best of my knowledge.

The upside is that if I'm wrong, someone will be along in a minute to correct me!!
    Rick

VIP Member
    The United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) was established by the United Nations (UN) Security Council with Resolution 425 on March 19, 1978, "for the purpose of confirming the withdrawal of Israeli forces, restoring international peace and security, and assisting the government of Lebanon in ensuring the return of its effective authority in the area." Subsequent Resolution 426 defined UNIFIL's rules of engagement and instructed it to "use its best efforts to prevent the recurrence of fighting" and to ensure that its area of operation would not be used for hostile activities of any kind. UNIFIL consisted of approximately 7,000 men from 14 UN member states and between 30 and 90 military observers from the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization, headquartered in the town of An Naqurah.

UNIFIL, however, encountered difficulty in performing its mission. Resolution 425 made "full cooperation of all parties concerned" a prerequisite for UNIFIL's deployment. Although Israel had agreed formally to take the necessary steps for compliance with the resolution, it did not believe that UNIFIL could stop PLO incursions across the border. Therefore, when Israel started to withdraw in late March, it refused to relinquish all of the territory it had conquered in southern Lebanon to UNIFIL. Instead, Israel turned over an enclave to its proxy force, the SLA, increasing the area under Major Haddad's control. This area included not only the ten-kilometer-deep security belt adjacent to the Israeli border but also a vertical north-south corridor running from the border to the Litani River and splitting the UNIFIL area into two noncontiguous zones.

Other parties frustrated the UNIFIL peacekeeping efforts. Although the PLO also had promised to cooperate with UNIFIL, it argued that the 1969 Cairo Agreement entitled it to operate in southern Lebanon, and it attempted to reoccupy areas after Israel withdrew. Furthermore, on the grounds that the IDF had not occupied Tyre, the PLO refused to allow UNIFIL to police the city, and Palestinian patrols attempted repeatedly to pass through UNIFIL lines. For its part, the SLA did not even make a pretense of cooperating with UNIFIL. Instead, it attacked UNIFIL personnel and encroached on UNIFIL's perimeter. Nevertheless, UNIFIL restored order to the areas under its control and served as an effective buffer force insulating Israel from the Palestinians. It set up roadblocks, checkpoints, and observation posts, interdicting approximately ten guerrilla patrols per month heading toward Israel. When UNIFIL apprehended Palestinian guerrillas, it confiscated their weapons but usually returned them later to PLO leaders. UNIFIL paid a price for performing its mission, however; between 1978 and 1982, thirty-six UNIFIL members were killed in action.

In late 1987 the future of UNIFIL was in doubt. Ironically, Israel, which had long considered UNIFIL a hindrance to its operations, changed its policy and in 1986 praised the positive role UNIFIL played in stabilizing the region. For its part, the government of Lebanon requested that UNIFIL be expanded to police almost the entire country. But at the same time, the Shias in southern Lebanon, who had traditionally supported UNIFIL, turned against the organization. In September 1986, Shia extremists started attacking UNIFIL's French contingent, and in five weeks of combat they killed four and wounded thirty. UNIFIL's casualty toll mounted and by mid-1987 stood at 139 killed and over 200 wounded. In 1986 the United States Congress cut the annual United States appropriation to UNIFIL from US$40 million to US$18 million, while France announced that it would withdraw its troops from UNIFIL in 1987.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

French Troops? Try the French Foreign Legion!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    OMG I hate to even type it but, efforts are underway for FRANCE to send some.
    Welllll...it sorta depends....France is sending the FOREIGN LEGION.

Those are some serious butt kickers! None of them have French citizenship....not until they successfully complete their seven year enlistment with the Legion. The mortality rate is rather high.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lightbulb Korea

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    IIRC whenever a US unit patrols in the DMZ today, they do so as a UN force. Also remember that the Korean war is still technically being fought. What happened in 1953 was only an armistice...a ceasefire...not a treaty to end the conflict. That war could go HOT at any moment. The folks on the DMZ have but one mission. That is to serve as an early warning for another invasion. Sort of yell BANG! and then die. Another reason we're keeping forces in Korea is not so much to keep the North from coming south....but rather to keep the South from heading North!! The ROKs are tough SOBs. I mean their PT is Tai Kwon Do!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Welllll...it sorta depends....France is sending the FOREIGN LEGION.

Those are some serious butt kickers! None of them have French citizenship....not until they successfully complete their seven year enlistment with the Legion. The mortality rate is rather high.
    The Foreign Legion may be tough, but the French haven't won a war on their own since Napolean. (I think the French issue their troops white flags instead of bullets.)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    IIRC whenever a US unit patrols in the DMZ today, they do so as a UN force.
    Boy do I feel stupid. Having spent a whole bunch of time IN the DMZ I should have remembered that.

The other odd thing I remember about the DMZ is the "man loading". Since the job I was doing in the "Z" wasn't a full time thing whenever we went into the DMZ a couple of the regular MPs had to stay out to avoid an infraction of the Armistice regulations. (I got to be part of the team that worked on "Tunnel #3" that the North Koreans ran into South Korea.)
    Rick

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I only remember one U.S. soldier who refused to put on a U.N uniform. I believe he was court marshalled, jailed and dishonorably discharged. It should be a volunteer position.

Michael New is STILL fighting that decision. He refused to wear the uniform of the UN-he contends his oath was to serve and protect the US NOT the UN.
    I tend to agree.
    The UN has NEVER made a situation better never stopped genocide,in fact The UN has stood by while it happened. UN troops, mostly from 3rd world nations are responsible for numerous war crimes, rapes, & murders.
    By working within the UN, it has pitted American troops against Isreal
    remember a famous picture of an American Officer with his 1911 on an Isreali Tank? Not a good thing.
    We need the US out of the UN and the UN out of the US.

Ron
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman View Post
    I only remember one U.S. soldier who refused to put on a U.N uniform. I believe he was court marshalled, jailed and dishonorably discharged. It should be a volunteer position.
    It's disturbing to think that someone could join the US armed forces with the desire to defend their country, and then be forced to serve a foreign entity. The US military doing UN bidding is bad enough, but being forced to carry their banner and ware their uniform is a slap in the face.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links