police chief shoots unarmed man and gets off

This is a discussion on police chief shoots unarmed man and gets off within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What if this guy did this to one of us and we knew he was unarmed? What i mean by us is normal ccw citizens? ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: police chief shoots unarmed man and gets off

what if

What if this guy did this to one of us and we knew he was unarmed?

What i mean by us is normal ccw citizens? In the state of Nc only?

Would we get the same treatment the chief did by the grand jury?

Honest answers please

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gunther71 View Post

Honest answers please
    I was going to say that the only way I could ever see a problem with the Officer getting off would be if under the same circumstances an ordinary citizen would not. Personally I believe that it was a righteous shoot with the information I have.
    I hope that the fact it was an Officer had no influence on the Grand Jury. That they would have decided the same had it been a private citizen.

As to your question. I have watched many cases where Police are given much more leeway when they resort to deadly force than an ordinary citizen does under similar circumstances.

Michael
    NYCrulesU likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I was going to say that the only way I could ever see a problem with the Officer getting off would be if under the same circumstances an ordinary citizen would not. Personally I believe that it was a righteous shoot with the information I have.
    I hope that the fact it was an Officer had no influence on the Grand Jury. That they would have decided the same had it been a private citizen.

As to your question. I have watched many cases where Police are given much more leeway when they resort to deadly force than an ordinary citizen does under similar circumstances.

Michael
    THANK YOU, I agree completly and yes the fact he was a p.o was considered

VIP Member
    The grand jury ruled it was not a bad shoot. We don't know the evidence they saw, we don't know if they took into account it was a LEO who did the shooting.

I don't know how NC law is, but some states, any shooting will go to a grand jury to decide if it was justified or not.

We can second guess the GJ all day long, but the fact is they saw it as justified. End of story.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The grand jury ruled it was not a bad shoot. We don't know the evidence they saw, we don't know if they took into account it was a LEO who did the shooting.

I don't know how NC law is, but some states, any shooting will go to a grand jury to decide if it was justified or not.

We can second guess the GJ all day long, but the fact is they saw it as justified. End of story.
    What was i thinking? the final verdicts are never unjust

Just weird how the guy was in his under wear and all

but hey
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 18th, 2011 at 02:03 AM.

Honest answers please
    In Texas the Grand Jury very well might take you to lunch after voting "No bill".
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I think we have to put our faith in the decision of the grand jury and trust that they considered all the facts. Being LEO, he undoubtedly has more leeway than a CC citizen would. The citizen can use equal force, while the LEO can use necessary force. I think that all such shootings should be reviewed, as this one was. I also think that if the chief is going to get his underwear in a wad over the fact that it was investigated that he should find another place to be.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    William Osbun started a chain of events that day that now he, and his supporters, want to find some way to blame on the rest of the world.

I won't be joining the William Osbun pity party. Or chipping in for his wheelchair...

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    William Osbun started a chain of events that day that now he, and his supporters, want to find some way to blame on the rest of the world.

I won't be joining the William Osbun pity party. Or chipping in for his wheelchair...
    I do not believe that the OP questioned the shooting. At least I didn't take it that way. I thought it only questioned how a private citizen under similar circumstances might have been treated.

My opinion as I stated earlier that anyone in the officers place badge or not should not have been arrested. I do not believe that a LEO should have anymore leeway than an ordinary citizen when it comes to self-defense.

Michael

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    What if this incident happened to you and you didn't know he was not armed?

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I think we have to put our faith in the decision of the grand jury and trust that they considered all the facts. Being LEO, he undoubtedly has more leeway than a CC citizen would. The citizen can use equal force, while the LEO can use necessary force. I think that all such shootings should be reviewed, as this one was. I also think that if the chief is going to get his underwear in a wad over the fact that it was investigated that he should find another place to be.
    You can only use equal force in North Carolina? Wow! I'm glad we aren't hamstrung like that.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Moderator
    it's a force of one, how small is that town?
    We have lots of town with one...or none. My town only has one on duty.

In some towns, the only law is the Constable.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Kinda strange that after the LEO shot, he called for back up...then after 45 minutes called for an ambulance...I always learned to call back up at every domestic because of the extreme volatility and danger, before engaging the suspect(s)...And waiting 45 minutes after a shooting to call for an ambulance seems like very poor judgement...

I don't question his shooting the guy tho....

VIP Member
    What was i thinking? the final verdicts are never unjust

Just weird how the guy was in his under wear and all

but hey

^^^^^^^^^How are you to know^^^^^^^^^

The guy jumping over the hood of your car,in his underpants is not the 7 OR 8th degree black belt Sensai down at the local DoJo, and he is , for some reason going to get sideways on the universe, starting with YOU????
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^How are you to know^^^^^^^^^

The guy jumping over the hood of your car,in his underpants is not the 7 OR 8th degree black belt Sensai down at the local DoJo, and he is , for some reason going to get sideways on the universe, starting with YOU????
    Exactly, the benefit of the doubt should in my opinion go the the person being attacked. I should not be able to attack you and then claim you used to much force to defend yourself.

Michael
    jace33 likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links