War in Iraq over...

War in Iraq over...

This is a discussion on War in Iraq over... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...and I just feel kind of empty inside. Thousands of U.S. personnel killed, many more wounded, many, many, many more Iraqi's killed and wounded...I wish ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: War in Iraq over...

War in Iraq over...

...and I just feel kind of empty inside. Thousands of U.S. personnel killed, many more wounded, many, many, many more Iraqi's killed and wounded...I wish I felt some concrete notion of what was accomplished, other than ousting Saddam...and that seems like such a small accomplishment to pay such a large cost in our young men and womens lives. I want to cheer the war's end, but I don't know what I'd be cheering. Thank you, all who have contributed to making this possible, who have fought hard and died for us, and brought us this end. I hope that you feel something inside that makes it all worthwhile for you. I hope that you all, most of all, know what it means.

Thank God for bringing you home.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    ...and I just feel kind of empty inside. Thousands of U.S. personnel killed, many more wounded, many, many, many more Iraqi's killed and wounded...I wish I felt some concrete notion of what was accomplished, other than ousting Saddam...and that seems like such a small accomplishment to pay such a large cost in our young men and womens lives. I want to cheer the war's end, but I don't know what I'd be cheering. Thank you, all who have contributed to making this possible, who have fought hard and died for us, and brought us this end. I hope that you feel something inside that makes it all worthwhile for you. I hope that you all, most of all, know what it means.

Thank God for bringing you home.
    Mixed emotions here also.

Welcome home Vets.
    YANG and hazard123 like this.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

The show in Iraq is not over. This is just so the prez can say he got the troops out for the election coming up. Iran will invade it soon and with nuclear weapons coming up Things are going to shtf then so to speak. I think things are going to backfire.
    Eaglebeak and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    The troops are indeed headed out and being replaced with contractors conducting training and specialized missions.

We will be here for the next 25 years guys and gals may as well accept that fact.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I see U.S. Soldiers back within 10 years

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    The war in Iraq IMHO was just a smaller, less costly version of Viet-Nam or Korea. Once again we withdraw our forces without a clear-cut victory. Once again thousands of American men and women will not be returning home alive or have been seriously wounded making the rest of their lives a living hell. Once again we have spent billions of tax-payers dollars and raised havoc in a foreign country for a perceived threat which was never found and never materialized. Once again we have put our economy in jeapardy, alienated an entire race of people and emboldened an enemy that wears no uniform, fights under no flag and travels freely from country to country. Once again we have invited millions of refugees to live in our country and in the guise of political correctness, allow them to change our way of life rather than force them to become part of this great melting-pot we call America. Once again we have let our self-serving, egotistical, selfish so-called public servants' damaging overconfidence follow one bad decision with hundreds of others.

We are the mightiest nation that has ever existed on the face of the earth. We have the ability to destroy nations without ever putting a soldier in harms way when and if the situation arises, yet we throw away the hope of our nation, our brave soldiers, by making them fight on the lowest level, in the harshest environments, where friends and enemies are indistinguishable, and to what purpose? So our political leaders can tell us our troops are protecting America. I think not!

The way to win a war is to use every weapon at ones disposal to bring a swift and complete victory, including demoralizing the enemies' civilian population so they will not support their own soldiers, go big or stay home, period!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    War? Humm. Did Congress ever declare War? I thought it was another "police action," vintage 1952, 1963, etc.
    kaboomkaboom likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I cannot believe its been almost 6 years since i was there.
    I will never forget those who served there. and the 9 close friends that i lost who served with me
    I hope we never go back!

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Operation IRAQI freedom...... is finally over...... US soldiers should have never been there.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

You can't take a donkey dye him with black and white stripes and call him a zebra,or expect him to act like a zebra anymore than you can turn a muslim country into a government like the USA.within a short period of time the law of the land will be sharia and there will be just as much sectarian violence as before
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    The show in Iraq is not over. This is just so the prez can say he got the troops out for the election coming up. Iran will invade it soon and with nuclear weapons coming up Things are going to shtf then so to speak. I think things are going to backfire.
    I belive this as well. The withdrawal was done for political reasons so the guy in the White House can say he ended the war.

Bush labeled North Korea and Iran as problem states - he was correct. Bush stated Osama was in either Aghanistan or Pakistan - he was correct. Clinton and Obama are big fans of talking to our enemies, but talking hasn't worked with North Korea or Iran. How many times do we have to have a "Neville Chamberlain" moment where we talk nicely to our enemies and accept the lies they feed us and then regret it later?

Iran says they are developing nuclear capability for peaceful purposes. Anyone believe them? Iran has said they want to "wipe Israel of the face of the Earth". How is it so hard to see that a nuclear Iran is a bad thing.

I respect our soldiers and don't wish for a war anywhere for our soldiers to fight and die. However, I do know that a strong US and US military is good for the world - even if we have fights here and there to keep the world in check.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    The December 2011 pull-out date is something Bush agreed to and made official through the U.S.-Iraq Status of Forces Agreement of 2008.

Does it help Obama's campaign? Probably. Is he responsible for that? Not entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    Operation IRAQI freedom...... is finally over...... US soldiers should have never been there.
    OIF was finished last September, IIRC....Op NEW DAWN replaced OIF.
    Bkrazy likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I give them about a year before they are right back where it all started. In spite of all we tried to do for them.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Everything I've ever read by any regular (i.e., non-political, non-governmental) person who has spent time in the middle east says pretty much the same thing: these people are one step out of the tribal desert era and no matter what we offer/show them/do they will not give up their tribal attitudes until they themselves want it.
    hazard123 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links