Excessive Rules and Regulations Anyone? Excessive Police Powers?

This is a discussion on Excessive Rules and Regulations Anyone? Excessive Police Powers? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Chad Rogers Are these the same Founding Fathers who wasted no time at all making Sedition Laws and crushing citizens in the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Excessive Rules and Regulations Anyone? Excessive Police Powers?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Are these the same Founding Fathers who wasted no time at all making Sedition Laws and crushing citizens in the Whiskey Rebellion? At least the real world that I live in had these events wintin a few years of 1789.

I prefer to stay grounded in the reality based world of fact and reason, and not live in the fantasy based world of emotion.
    We always get the sanitized version of history. Jefferson talked big about armed rebellion and is quoted here often, but he was
    quite ready to use power against New England states in a dispute over trade embargoes which were harming the maritime states. The NE states almost seceded during his administration; at least according to some.

Embargo Act of 1807 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "Jefferson placed himself in a strange position with his Embargo policy. Though he had so frequently and eloquently argued for as little government intervention as possible, he now found himself assuming extraordinary powers in an attempt to enforce his policy. "
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It reminds me that many people can't differentiate between our founding fathers and trespassing kids.
    Trespassing means nothing with superior technology and forked tongues.

cheyenne-chief.jpg

Senior Moderator
    When I was a LEO if somebody came to me with this I would have laughed in their face.
    I actually has a guy hand me one of those flyers at a diner and he asked me to read it when I got a chance.

I did. I thanked him for it.

There is no sense in disrespecting someone that may come to your aid someday.
    WHEC724 and azchevy like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yeah!

Silencers and fully autos!

Silencers are good for hearing like all cops will tell you and fully auto should be only for Military not 8 cops who are breaking into a trailer with one crack head with a butter knife.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post

I prefer to stay grounded in the reality based world of fact and reason, and not live in the fantasy based world of emotion.
    That would be my preference also but I just can't keep my unreasonable artistic friends from rubbing my elbows.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    What's scary is that as Big Brother grows in size, the LEO's sworn to protect us will be the ones to take our liberties away.
    Big surprise, a similar thread like this was just shut down by an LEO/moderator.

See what I'm talking about?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Behold the parade of churlishness!

In fact, it's always been this way. Kafka, HL Mencken, many have commented in the distant past that if the authorities want to get you - they can. No man can pass a single day without breaking some law or another.

Yet, you, me, and pretty much every member here has qualified for a rigorous background check and was issued a concealed carry permit. I've never been arrested nor been fined nor had any run-ins with any member of any law enforcement agency.

And you know why? Because there really aren't that many laws you have to worry about.

My line of business means I have to know a lot of what's in that 27-foot-long bookshelf containing the Code of Federal Regulations and, I'm sad to inform the Teabagging set here, just about none of it would ever impinge on your life in any way. Not unless you're trying to dispose of a 55-gallon drum of benzene, or manufacture an aileron, or install a gas line, or transport livestock, or do something similar that might adversely affect others' life and limb.

Most of the CFRs deal with things that, well, you see in other countries they don't have that stuff. And ferries capsize and stuff blows up, and over in India and Russia and China you see lots of people die because crap wasn't up to code. You should be happy that we are an intelligent country with engineering standards.

Sadly, far too many of you have been yammered at by Fox News or similar, and believe that "regulations" are some kind of awful dictatorship. Yet, in many surveys conducted by neutral parties, corporations have replied that no, they are not hampered by regulation at all. Oh, the Gibson guitar company got into trouble because they were using rare materials. Boo hoo hoo. They can use sustainable products and achieve better results.

Remember always that it's Kerr McGee and similar large major polluters who want "regulations" rescinded so they can freely dump waste into our rivers, companies like McDonalds that want zero regulations on the treatment of livestock so they can deliver meat cheaper with fewer inspections. Nobody who is on your side argues for those things. Just the beancounters who want a fast buck at your expense.
    i don't agree with the ferry capsizing type argument for federal standards. Let the market decide. If there are multiple ferries and one uses higher standard parts, quality, etc... and the others don't and people die on them. So be it. That's what they get for not doing their homework and going with the shoddy provider anyway. What we've done is said...ok we're going to appeal to the lowest common denominator and damn everyone else.
    Herknav likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by gunther71 View Post
    Yeah!

Silencers and fully autos!

Silencers are good for hearing like all cops will tell you and fully auto should be only for Military not 8 cops who are breaking into a trailer with one crack head with a butter knife.
    Wow! So tell us, what is on the Christmas card Jim and Sarah Brady are sending out this year?
    What other weapons do you think people who are not tools of the federal government should have access to? Think they should reinstate the ban on magazines that hold more than ten rounds? Perhaps you would be happier if we adopted the gun control policies of Great Britain. Should we be allowed to own rifles with removable magazines or can non military types not be trusted with those either? Would you feel better if non military types were only allowed muzzle loaders?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

What's scary is that as Big Brother grows in size, the LEO's sworn to protect us will be the ones to take our liberties away.
    Some may. All I know is that when the SHTF, I am an American citizen first and know which side I am on.

Big surprise, a similar thread like this was just shut down by an LEO/moderator.

And another was just locked about 30 secs ago. Pretty pathetic when self serving bias plays such as role as to shut down threads because they may disagree with your own occupation.

What 5 branches? Army,Navy,AF, Marines.............Coast Guard was never in DOD, was Treasury Dept before Homeland if that is what you are thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by gunther71 View Post
    Just like the old rumors of getting rid of the 5 military branches and putting them all under the Army.

Aint never gonna happen.

When the government gains control and takes away our gun rights.. I hope gun owners dont surrender thier firearms and become sheep.

Hey, new here posting but been reading for a long time. My experience with LE is that they are getting to arrogant. I retired 6 years ago (Special Forces Sergeant my last 15 years out of 23). I am a civilian consultant now to the military. Among other things I consult and train shooting, tactics, tactical driving offensive and defensive. I got pulled over by a police officer last year for driving to fast for the weather conditions. I was still 10 mph below speed limit. No warning, just started giving me a ticket. I explained to him that I was actually coming back from a winter driving course which included high speed driving. Not only did he blow me off, he went on to say how if he can't drive that fast in this weather safely then nobody can. And that in no circumstance would he drive as fast as I was. I am pissed now so I replied:this is being recorded right? So you just admitted you had to catch up to me and from what I could tell and by the skid marks in the snow that he had to be doing 20 mph over the speed limit. Oh was he pissed. Finaly I left but went to court to fight the ticket. I won. I showed I had more training than the cop did. I did not mind him puliing me over. I was polite at first but when the officer got arrogant.........that was the end of it. So, moderators have shut off threads like this? Just shows how arrogant LEOS are

My friendis a LEO and he hates this website because it is accurate and shows police misconduct. Updated weekly. He admits it is accurate. He feels that LEOS's should not have their dirty laundry aired because it harms the public safety because they lose trust in police. His words, not mine.
    Injustice Everywhere
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 22nd, 2011 at 03:34 PM.
    NYCrulesU likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    My friendis a LEO and he hates this website because it is accurate and shows police misconduct. Updated weekly. He admits it is accurate. He feels that LEOS's should not have their dirty laundry aired because it harms the public safety because they lose trust in police. His words, not mine.
    Injustice Everywhere
    Most police need to be policed. Truth.

Doesn't bother me one bit when dirty laundry is aired. Helps keep those that need it honest.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    i don't agree with the ferry capsizing type argument for federal standards. Let the market decide. .
    Guess you never get on commercial jets. Without the strong regulatory environment they would not be safe. Just one example of a huge improvement to make the point is yesterdays new ruling on how much rest pilots must get between shifts. Left to the companies they made them fly till they and the plane would drop. The companies fought changes for years. Sorry, but I like to think that my pilot had enough time between shifts to get to a hotel and get adequate sleep.
    Chad Rogers likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    And another was just locked about 30 secs ago. Pretty pathetic when self serving bias plays such as role as to shut down threads because they may disagree with your own occupation.

OK... the other two are the same topic as this one. They are reposts of each other. One was a gross violation of the copyright rules. Not to mention, this is not the forum to even discuss these things at all. If its was some vast right wing conspiracy, I would have made both of them disappear instead of leaving them up with the links to the original story. I can close this one too if you'd rather. Should I make post 43 disappear too? According to you, I will. Maybe I should.

So, grow up, put your big boy pants on and cinch up your foil hat. Like usual, you might want to look into your own allegations before you cast stones. That is whats pathetic.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links