gas siphoning at my work - Page 2

gas siphoning at my work

This is a discussion on gas siphoning at my work within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Often there is a vast difference in what we would prefer happen to the petty thieves and the intent of the law. I like the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gas siphoning at my work

Often there is a vast difference in what we would prefer happen to the petty thieves and the intent of the law. I like the PVC pipe and raw sewage idea.

that started up in this area and I got the locking gas caps.

I like some of the ideas here though.

Redneck...

Re-route to a tank with gas and sugar!

ret

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Video??? Absolutely!!!

Fingerprints??? I don't think you'd be able to get the Police to print it unless he's stealing hundreds of gallons, we're talking felony (I think $500 makes it)
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I don't think you'd be able to get the Police to print it unless he's stealing hundreds of gallons, we're talking felony (I think $500 makes it)
    With gas prices now days going up the way they are, it won't be long for it to be that high for a tank of gas.

I was thinking, you would have to have the camera where you can see the gas tank cap/filler. If you take a vid of just the front or the side, they (the criminal) could just say that he/she/it was just walking by and didn't do anything. You have to film them in the act of the crime.

tec
    Install a Air hose from a air tank in the trunk into the gas filler area, fill the air hose with the paint, install a "blow off nozzle" in the filler area. One of the ones where you squeeze the trigger and the air comes out. As the door opens, it squeezes the trigger, which calls for air from the tank to go thru the air hose, which is filled with paint.
    which sprays the thief with the deer urine and paint.

Just to avoid a lawsuit, make certain the nozzle is aimed sorta at the crotch, not at the face.
    Just to avoid a lawsuit, while doing this, park the vehicle in a area where there is no car parked next to it on the gas filler side.

Tagged and bagged.

Or, even less material required (I thought of it last night after typing this) just use some tape, fishing line and a can of mace.
    Last edited by tec; August 19th, 2006 at 09:27 AM.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79 View Post
    Video??? Absolutely!!!

Fingerprints??? I don't think you'd be able to get the Police to print it unless he's stealing hundreds of gallons, we're talking felony (I think $500 makes it)

You're probably right there. It's hard to even get cops to file a report if it's not a felony, much less take fingerprints.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Re-route to a tank with gas and sugar!

ret
    Actually that won't work anymore outside of a lawnmower or other engine which doesnt filter the fuel very well. The dog water that they call gasoline these days won't disolve the sugar. If you don't believe me, try dropping a sugar cube in a jar of gasoline. A month later you still have a sugar cube (or at least granules) at the bottom of the jar.

tec
    So, whats happening with this? any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by tec View Post
    So, whats happening with this? any updates?
    You won't believe this.

I went ahead and purchased a locking gas cap.
    Before work today, I made sure it was locked, tried for 2 mins to try and get it off. It was locked tight.

Some how the BG (oh man i want to call him worst names, trust me)
    but some how the BG was able to get it off and steal some more gas today.
    A good 3 more gallons.

I don't see how they get that damn thing off, grr, this sucks, i swore i put it on right and it was secure.

I have people on my camera, but the problem is its 6 different people, all with out any siphoning tools in sight.
    and over half of them have their heads cut off, so you can't really use it. However, i have a top of the head right where the gas tank is.

I had the camera mounted in the back dash of my car pointed outside the rear window facing where the gas cap is.

So thats 6 people, 3 with out heads, 3 with heads, and one half head above my car. The head matches no one in the other pics from what i can tell.

And my supervisor said no one was seen on the main security camera or the only securtiy camera for the huge parking lot for the company. So I don't know, guess I will just bring the camera tomorrow and mount it on the passenger seat really high facing down out the right passenger rear seat window capturing hopefully the space where a person would be to siphone my gas.

Most locking gas cap keys aren't that secure. only very few patterns to them. Also a determined thief can jam a screw driver in the key hole and force the cap off(people do this when they lose their keys).
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Our maintenance trucks have locking caps; the BGs climb under and cut the fuel lines!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

tec
    Three gallons? Do you have Digital gages to be able to tell its that small of an amount?

See if your gas tube going from the tank to the opening is metal or rubber. Re direct the hose filler opening to the trunk.

Epoxy the end of a steel cable to the inside of your gas filler door, run the cable into the trunk where it can be secured. Then when you need gas, you pop the trunk, release the cable, open the gas filler door. When they want to steal gas, it's harder for them to open.

Install a pushbutton switch in the gas filler door area, open the door and a alarm sounds.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    Our maintenance trucks have locking caps; the BGs climb under and cut the fuel lines!

I had a similar experience in an old 60 ford truck I had as a teen. It was one of those that had the gas tank behind the seat, right in the cab with you. It kept getting robbed, so I put a locking cap on it. One night I filled up on the way home. The next morning as I was going somewhere I kept smelling gas, but couldn't figure out why, until I took a hard right turn. They had taken the filler neck loose from the tank, where a rubber coupleing held it together. Of course they didn't bother to tighten it back up. When I made the right turn the fuel in the tank sloshed to the left (drivers side) and the coupling which was just sitting on the tank popped off. A bunch of gas rushed out of gaping hole in the tank and splashed all over the door and window. I got showered with gas. It went everywhere. I got off the road and shut the truck down as quickly as I could but it was too late gas went everywhere. The back of the seat was soggy with it, and so was my left side. There was even gas in my ear. I was not a happy camper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links