Officer Down

Officer Down

This is a discussion on Officer Down within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; EAST WASHINGTON, Pa. -- A Washington County prosecutor said a police officer is dead after being wounded in a Sunday night shooting during a traffic ...

Thread: Officer Down

Officer Down

EAST WASHINGTON, Pa. -- A Washington County prosecutor said a police officer is dead after being wounded in a Sunday night shooting during a traffic stop along with another officer.

Police said officers John David Dryer and Robert Caldwell pulled over Eli Franklin Myers, 58, on Interstate 70 and were waiting for a tow truck when the suspect opened fire.

Dryer was shot in the head and killed, police said. Caldwell was shot in the hand. His condition has not been released.

Police said Caldwell called for backup and said both he and Dryer were hit and the officers needed to proceed with caution. The officer said he returned fire but didn't think he hit the suspect.

"I saw a body lying near the side of the road, and the gentleman was given CPR or doing chest compressions to him," said a motorist. "A few seconds later, a police officer came up to me and asked me to back up as close to (a) tractor-trailer as possible, that they were calling in a MedEvac helicopter, and the helicopter left a few minutes later."

Authorities said Myers was last seen went east on I-70 in a gray or green minivan with the passenger-side window broken out.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Myers is asked to contact police.

Retrieved from Officer.com
    Rest in peace brother.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Suspect in police officer's slaying killed in shootout;... | www.wjactv.com

EAST WASHINGTON, Pa. --

A man who police said shot and killed an officer in Washington County on Sunday night has been killed by troopers.

The suspect, 58-year-old Eli Franklin Myers III, was a former police officer, 6 News' sister station Channel 11 News reported.

Washington County Sheriff Samuel Romano said Myers was shot dead after a gun battle with state police at his home on Logan Street in the village of Webster, according to Channel 11 News and TribLIVE.

Police charged Myers with killing East Washington Officer John David Dryer during a traffic stop on Interstate 70. Officer Robert Caldwell, who was backing up Dryer, was shot in the hand.

Police said Dryer and Caldwell pulled over Myers and were waiting for a tow truck when the suspect opened fire.

Dryer was shot in the head and killed, police said. Caldwell was shot in the hand. His condition has not been released.

Police said Caldwell called for backup and said both he and Dryer were hit and the officers needed to proceed with caution. The officer said he returned fire but didn't think he hit the suspect.

“I saw a body lying near the side of the road, and the gentleman was given CPR or doing chest compressions to him,” said a motorist. “A few seconds later, a police officer came up to me and asked me to back up as close to (a) tractor-trailer as possible, that they were calling in a MedEvac helicopter, and the helicopter left a few minutes later.”

Gov. Tom Corbett ordered all Pennsylvania flags in the Capitol Complex and at commonwealth facilities in Washington County to fly at half-staff.

The governor's order will remain in effect until the date of Dryer's burial.

It was not immediately clear what prompted the traffic stop.

Exit 19B on Interstate 79 was shut down temporarily Sunday night into Monday morning as officers searched for the shooter.

Stay with 6 News, WJACTV.com and WJACTV.com Mobile for continuing coverage.

VIP Member
    Prayers for those involved and the families and co-workers of the victims.

RIP brother.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Prayers sent, horrible to lose an officer

Prayers sent for deceased officer, his family, friends and co-workers. Hope the other officer heals quickly. If the shooter was an ex-LEO, that would be real sad, but he went to the dark side and it ended as it should.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Prayers for officer & family
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

RIP and thanks for your service.

One more of way too many reminders of how dangerous being a LEO can be. Officers never know what is going on in the mind of a person they make contact with. Suspect, victim or bystander are all potential threats to an officer that's trying to protect and serve us the best way they can.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

mkh
    Rest in Peace John David Dryer .

It's always tought to loose an officer but so close to Christmas seems doubly so.

Prayers for the Officers Family and Brothers & Sisters of LEO.

There are way too many LEO's getting killed over trivial BS.At least the POS won't be a burden on tax payers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sad. Even more so that the perp was a former LEO. My good friend and former H.S. wrestling teamate, Ron Dean, Shreveport PD, was shot and killed in the line of duty 19 years ago Friday. I really miss him and think of him often....especially this time of year. Narcotics Officer Ronald Edward Dean, Jr., Shreveport Police Department, Louisiana

Thanks to all who serve us and for your sacrifices. Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    There are way too many LEO's getting killed over trivial BS.At least the POS won't be a burden on tax payers
    I dont quite understand this atleast part? explain please

Quote Originally Posted by gunther71 View Post
    I dont quite understand this atleast part? explain please
    Dukalmighty is referring to the perpetrator.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Dukalmighty is referring to the perpetrator.
    oh ok, i got it now thanks.

Links