Does TSA Make Anyone Else Not Want to Fly This Holiday Season??

This is a discussion on Does TSA Make Anyone Else Not Want to Fly This Holiday Season?? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My family and I (wife who is 6mo pregnant, 4yr old son and 10mo old daughter) have travel plans from Dallas to Chicago to see ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Does TSA Make Anyone Else Not Want to Fly This Holiday Season??

My family and I (wife who is 6mo pregnant, 4yr old son and 10mo old daughter) have travel plans from Dallas to Chicago to see my family for a few days coming up very soon. But the more I read about these inappropriate pat-downs being given by the TSA at airports everywhere, the more I just want to stay home for the holidays and not deal with it. I've been travelling for work a little bit lately and haven't had to do a pat-down yet, but I did have to go through the scanner once. Now, its not as big a deal for me, but I can see myself getting quite pissed if someone (female or not) wants to pat down my wife and/or kids. We teach our 4 year old not to talk to people that he doesn't already know or that mommy or daddy aren't already talking to, and he's very good about it. If a stranger comes up to us and talks to him first, he doesn't say a word, he just turns and looks at me first. But allowing a stranger to touch my wife or very young (and impressionable) son in the ways I've been reading and seeing in news reports and videos taken by bystanders makes my blood boil. So how common are these pat-downs anyway? Is there any recourse that can be taken if it is done inappropriately? Do I have a leg to stand on if I threaten a sexual assault charge on the TSA SCREENER (they are not sworn agents of anything)? What would you do? If you are travelling for the holidays, what are you planning on doing? I find it best to plan my actions ahead of time and not wait until the heat of the moment when I'm mad and end up only making the situation worse. So... thoughts? Recommendations??

OpJ

Red face Just relax a bit please.......

Sure, I dread flying, I dread TSA, I dread a Head Cold too. You will set the stage for the kiddo, so explain to them, several times between now and departure at an age appropriate level, what will happen and what will be done. That will help the young one.

Other than that, don't over analyze the matter and get all worked up about something the likelihood of which happening is infinitesimal. You will not win if you overreact, you will not win if you threaten, you will not win if you act like a jerk. Let them do their job, and be cool about it. Anything else is a guaranteed lose-lose situation.

Or drive. If you overreact you might get to drive anyway, unless you're in jail.

This is coming from a father who will be flying with his family, and his adult daughter that is a Victoria's Secret model.

Added:

Familiarize yourself with the TSA Rules and Protocols, and your Airlines too, so you are not surprised with the process with pregnant wives and infants and kids. Not to prepare yourself to be argumentative, but so you are emotionally ahead of the curve. Agin, be cool and it will be a snap.
    Hopyard and wmhawth like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I'm with you. Fortunately we have no reason to ever fly. Some ghetto turd TSA agent ever manhandled my kid (4 & 3 yr old daughters) like I've seen on videos, I would be going to jail for assault. And they'd be on their way to the hospital. No doubt about it. TSA is out of control. We boycott flying. Have taken trains on our past long distance trips. Fun experience.

I am so much against the pat downs, scanners don't bother me. But I have to fly for my job all over the world so I don't have much choice.

I'd rather have a TSA ghetto turd do their job than some third world turd crash the plane my family and I am on because he/she didn't do their job. OMO
    Rock and Glock and hobie16 like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    The airlines have definitely lost some of my business due to TSA shenanigans and poor customer service by the airlines.

I hope one of the executives of an airline is reading this page. I HOPE significant Congress critters or their staff are reading this.

What has happened to air travel is insane, and not all of the bad stuff is due to 9/11 hysteria.

I'd hoped that some of the crazier stuff would disappear with the change of administration two years ago, and with the subsequent killing of UBL. Apparently we now have an industry which is going to live on in perpetuity long beyond the passing of the major danger.

I want my old life back for our grand children. We are way off course. Meanwhile, I avoid planes as much as possible-- even to the point of driving 18-19 hundred miles each way to where my kid lives.
    NYCrulesU likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I hate flying. I'm 6'6" 240 and the seats literally hurt to sit in, and these unnecessary measures only make it worse. The only time I will fly is when it is on a WVU charter plane where I get an empty seat between me and my neighbor and the group gets fast tracked through security.

Folks, I find the term "Ghetto Turd" a bit depressing in this fine forum. Can we dispense with it and stay on topic?

Thank you!
    Hopyard and 10thmtn like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The airlines have definitely lost some of my business due to TSA shenanigans and poor customer service by the airlines.

I hope one of the executives of an airline is reading this page. I HOPE significant Congress critters or their staff are reading this.

What has happened to air travel is insane, and not all of the bad stuff is due to 9/11 hysteria.

I'd hoped that some of the crazier stuff would disappear with the change of administration two years ago, and with the subsequent killing of UBL. Apparently we now have an industry which is going to live on in perpetuity long beyond the passing of the major danger.

I want my old life back for our grand children. We are way off course. Meanwhile, I avoid planes as much as possible-- even to the point of driving 18-19 hundred miles each way to where my kid lives.
    Unfortunately, once they raise the price of gas, for whatever reason......it never goes back down.

As much as those here hate them, but thank the ACLU because without their work, we would be flying naked.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I'd rather have a TSA ghetto turd do their job than some third world turd crash the plane my family and I am on because he/she didn't do their job. OMO
    Couldn't agree more, BUT I think there are far better ways to do it. Ways that couldn't be considered rape (according to the new FBI definition - not mine) or don't blatantly disregard the 4th Amendment.

OpJ
    varob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I bet you're easy to pick out of the airport line, with your shiny tinfoil hat and all.

Security is one thing. And I am all for ADULT pat downs IF warranted. But when these undereducated, ghetto wastes start assaulting kids, 87 yr old women etc. Enough is enough. I refuse to fly because of TSA ...not some paranoid/racist/profiling fear of someone carrying on a bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Well said.

TSA needs to learn from someone who has been doing airport / airline security for a while. Who? El Al Airlines in Isreal. They interview each and every passenger as their screening process. No pat downs, no full-body-I-see-you-naked scanners. An interview. And they've not had any incidents in over 8 years. TSA is nothing but reactive, not proactive. Oh... and that interview process averages less than 30 minutes from the time you arrive at the airport until you get to your gate. Less intrusive AND faster??! Sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    TSA needs to learn from someone who has been doing airport / airline security for a while. Who? El Al Airlines in Isreal. They interview each and every passenger as their screening process. No pat downs, no full-body-I-see-you-naked scanners. An interview. And they've not had any incidents in over 8 years. TSA is nothing but reactive, not proactive. Oh... and that interview process averages less than 30 minutes from the time you arrive at the airport until you get to your gate. Less intrusive AND faster??! Sounds great.
    Isreal "profiles" too. They have a very good track record with airport security.
    NavyAirdale and noway2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    Isreal "profiles" too. They have a very good track record with airport security.
    It's not profiling if you interview everyone. If you were to say "Hey you, yeah you, with the long scraggly lookin beard and the bath towel wrapped around your head... let's have a talk", then yeah, I'd put that in the category of profiling.
    NavyAirdale likes this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links