Watching "Alaska State Troopers", noticed a subject handcuffed in front...

This is a discussion on Watching "Alaska State Troopers", noticed a subject handcuffed in front... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First, let me state that I have the utmost respect for the fine Troopers that patrol Alaska, they deal with harsh terrain and climate daily. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Watching "Alaska State Troopers", noticed a subject handcuffed in front...

Watching "Alaska State Troopers", noticed a subject handcuffed in front...

First, let me state that I have the utmost respect for the fine Troopers that patrol Alaska, they deal with harsh terrain and climate daily. I was taught in the academy, and in every handcuff/ defensive combat training to ALWAYS cuff my subjects behind their back. Too many ways for the prisoner to assault you, or escape, if cuffed in the front. I just watched a Trooper on this show cuff a drunken, self professed violent subject in front. Am I missing something? I, for one, always.. even if I have to use two sets of cuffs for obese subjects, always cuff behind their back...Comments from my fellow officers? Like they told me in boot camp, stay alert, stay alive ...

2. Remove Ads

I'm not a LEO, but I was a nurse for the Ohio Dept. of Corrections and had to go through the corrections academy as well as SRT training. The only time we cuffed anyone in the front was when the cuffs were attached to a belly chain. Like you said, if they are cuffed in the front they can still do quit a bit of damage and possibly escape. I have no idea why an officer would do that.

Always in back, unless physically unable to do so.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Moderator
    I cuff in the back most of the time.

Not every single time but most of the time.

If a person is known to me, not a flight risk, and being cuffed as a matter of policy rather than necessity, I'll cuff in the front.

Since the car has a cage, and I never let a prisoner walk behind me, I don't see it as a big deal.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I watch that show quite often. I will say this...and I hope it's not just for the cameras....but EVERY LEO should act as professional and decent as the AST's on that show do.

They seem to be kind of old school and certainly not out to make every arrest for every single minor violation. I have watched them catch underage drinkers, make them pour out the liquor and send them on their way. They pulled over a car of tweeners with a decent amount of weed. Confiscated the stash, issued a citation and sent them on their way.

They clearly have more important things to actually arrest for and seem to balance their responsibilities extremely well. Arrest for the big stuff, let the minor stuff go with a ticket and a warning...let the petty stuff go with a just a warning.

One episode had a drunk walking down the road in his underwear. Stopped him, warned him and released him to his more sober friends. Saw him again and arrested him. Any other LEO I know would have had him on the ground, manhandling him and arrested for PI (public intoxication) off the get go. And yes, I am in LE so no I am not "cop bashing". I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Anyway. More agencies should act with and show the restraint and common sense the AST's do.
    Last edited by NYCrulesU; December 23rd, 2011 at 11:53 PM.

Senior Moderator
    More angencies should act with and show the restraint and common sense the AST's do
    They dont?

The last drunk I saw walking down the street I took home and told him to stay there. He said was just walking around(although a bit unsteady) trying to get some fresh air.

He did what he was told.

No sense writing someone for that.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    When I saw the episode in the OP I questioned the front cuffing myself. We were taught always behind, never in front unless it was physically impossible.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    Any other LEO I know would have had him on the ground, manhandling him and arrested for PI (public intoxication) off the get go. And yes, I am in LE so no I am not "cop bashing". I know exactly what I'm talking about.
    That's too bad. Have you thought about trying to get on with a more professional agency?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    That's too bad. Have you thought about trying to get on with a more professional agency?

Sure have. When I find one I'll let you know. I think I'll try Oakland or Canton. /sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    They dont?
    No. Most don't.

One example that many civilians would like to hear is a practice of a Sheriff's Dept that I have intimate knowledge of (so that I am speaking of specifics and not a generalized statement). They like to wait outside the local bars and arrest you for PI on your way to your DD's car or a cab. You go to jail, bond out for $500 ($67 roughly), then they "allow" you to pay $360 for the "convenience" of not having to appear in court and they tell you they won't post your mugshot in the paper so that your boss and family won't see it.

Nice way to generate revenue. Not.

Or how about the amount of times I have personally arrested the same cookers for meth manufacturing. Over and over...and over. Prison time? Nope. Bond out. Pay fine and court costs, back to cooking meth and round and round we go.

Crooked ass system. Crooked judges, Sheriff, mayor..and so on.

But hey, I get a paycheck and it keeps food on the table. I have no more illussions of brotherhood or a common goal. It's ALL greed and all BS.

/rant.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    If this is the one I am thinking of he was placed in a boat aper a friend of mine that lives up there if they are being transported in a boat they must be cuffed in front because if something happens they can still hang on to the boat

VIP Member
    Wow, NYCrulesU, you should really find a better agency to work for. I don't know ANY LEOs who would do those things.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Wow, NYCrulesU, you should really find a better agency to work for. I don't know ANY LEOs who would do those things.
    Not my agency. And I know many, from various states up and down the East Coast that would..and do.

Dumb comes in all shapes and sizes. You can take the horse to the waters edge but you can't make him drink. This guy's a self professed violent individual, that was just stupid if you ask me.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Wow. NYCrulesU....I find it disturbing how you can openly trash your department, and the system. Yes, there are plenty of flaws and plenty of loopholes. I find it very hard to believe that the majority of leo's that you know are part of the problem. Out of the hundreds of officers I deal with, I can count the bad apples on one hand. It seems to me that you feel the problem is the majority. To openly call Judges, Sheriffs, and Mayors "crooked" is disturbing. This is the system you are sworn to uphold, flaws or not. My guess is you would be slightly happier in a different profession. I'm not so sure i'd feel as safe with police running around who are only looking for a paycheck, and think the rest of it is BS.

Theres a ton of frustration associated with the job. The court system has its flaws. At times it makes me want to pull my hair out. There is a difference between that and feeling that the whole community of LEO's and Judge's are greedy, unethical and corrupt. I'm not sure where you work, but i'm sorry that you feel its as bad as it is. Just please dont assume we're all like that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links