How does one return items that belonged to KIA Vietnam era service members?

This is a discussion on How does one return items that belonged to KIA Vietnam era service members? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My friend Matt is in Vietnam. He has found and is buying class rings and other things that were stolen from the bodies of American ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gunguy82

Thread: How does one return items that belonged to KIA Vietnam era service members?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

How does one return items that belonged to KIA Vietnam era service members?

My friend Matt is in Vietnam. He has found and is buying class rings and other things that were stolen from the bodies of American soldiers during the war. Does anyone know how he can go about returning these things to the soldiers' families?

This is part of a recent message I received from Matt:

But I did encounter something quite disturbing to me. In HCMC (Formally Saigon) I was exploring back street traditional markets, like many places in S.E. Asia, I discovered many knock off brands, Rayban, Rolex, Prada etc. etc. Then I noticed a lot of High School and College Class rings. At first, I thought were replicas, then after a closer look, I noticed they were high quality, real and with names on some. I was horrified to discover that of the nearly 9,000,000 Americans that did service in Vietnam and the more than 50,000 KIA, many were killed in the South. The Vietcom would pop out of the "tunnels" at night and ambush, kill and loot the unsuspecting Americans and return to the tunnels before reinforcements arrived. Of the 50,000 plus Americans-KIA, many military issued dogtags, lighters and especially class rings are on the streets for sale. All are without a doubt REAL with dates from 1963-1969 from various high schools and universities around America. I came to Vietnam to explore the charity needs of Children as I am a missionary. I have decided to buy the class rings that have names and return them to the families if possible. At the least get them off the streets. I am getting what I can afford that have some kind of name or initials on them for possible ID and of course I will do it free of charge. I have no idea why an organization or the American government has not tried to claim some of these things before. As I said they are REAL and I do know the difference.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You might want to contact the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC) as a starting point.

JPAC - Joint Prisoners of War, Missing in Action Accounting Command
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

This might be another source. The National League of POW/MIA Families. Home
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

If might help to get the vfw and the American legion involved
    atctimmy likes this.
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

Some, may have been sold by soldiers for a few bucks, etc. as well , and not just those KIA.

Any of the above Org's listed, should be able and probably more than willing to help.

On Rings, if they can figure out the school, they often use names or initials of those in the ring compared to yearbook info for that graduation year, and try to match them up. Classmates is one source of a lot of yearbooks around the country, and there are others. The tough part would be determining what state and city and school they are from.
    Last edited by Eagleks; December 27th, 2011 at 12:18 AM.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In a similar note, my father brought home a Japanese flag from either Saipan or Tinian. I always intended to try to local the familiy that gave it to their loved one and attempt to return it. Unfortunately, it was stolen during a break-in.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by gunguy82 View Post
    If might help to get the vfw and the American legion involved
    ....and / or Vietnam Veterans of America.

Welcome To Vietnam Veterans of America
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member
    WOW,lots of good ideas.
    Bless you friend for caring about something so small, but yet could be a highly treasured keepsake.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links