Accepted to MCSD

This is a discussion on Accepted to MCSD within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ladies and Gentlemen. A week ago I applied to the Marion County Sheriffs Department here in Indiana, got it in on the last day that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Accepted to MCSD

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

Accepted to MCSD

Ladies and Gentlemen. A week ago I applied to the Marion County Sheriffs Department here in Indiana, got it in on the last day that the process was open. Today I opened my mail and discovered a letter from the sheriff. It said. Mr INCCWCHRIS, At this time we would like to congratulate you on the acceptance of your application to begin the process of hiring as a Marion County Deputy Sheriff. Your test date is Saturday January 14th. I know its just the beginning, but my application was one of the few selected from 400 applicants to even begin the process, so I can't help but be excited. Any advice about the test?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Many years ago when I applied for both local city and county police they accepted hundreds of applications. Those who had reasonable qualifications were sent letters to take the entrance test. Then those who made a certain score were called for an interview. I would say out of 300 applicants only 3 were hired. I say this only to temper your excitement. You still have a long way to go. Good luck and stay safe.

Congratulations and good luck with the test!!! If others have done it, so can you.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Good luck with your test fella. Wish ya luck.

Michael

If haven't already done so, you should be running...a lot.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    If haven't already done so, you should be running...a lot.
    Yep,usually they have a written test,if you pass that then there is usually a Physical agility test,and a lot of Departments will have you take a polygraph.Good Luck.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Good luck.

As SIGguy229 suggested, start preparing for the physical fitness portion.

Just remember, never take the last doughnut during testing or interviews. That's one of the things they watch, to see if you will be competition at break time!!
    gasmitty and Secret Spuk like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Best of luck! Answer the questions correctly! Most important, be honest.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

You are likely to be hired, if you have a clear background. From what I hear from current employees, they cannot keep deputies. Turnover is brisk, due to working conditions and political BS. After the "academy", which is not state certified by ILEA, you will likely be assigned to the jail. You will not be a merit deputy like the other 91 counties in Indiana, but you will be a "special" deputy, which is an at-will employee that can be fired or disciplined at any time with no recourse. Pay is about $10,000 - $20,000 less than actual law enforcement agencies in the metro area. The sheriff is trying to get a merit board in place for the deputies, and the sheriff himself is a good guy. However, because of his predecessor, MCSD lost all of their merit deputies (law enforcement division and investigations division.....street patrol and detectives) to the political BS that was the LE merger of MCSD and IPD to create IMPD in 2007. MCSD is now simply jail, building and court security and inmate transportation. There is a small "warrant squad," but good luck getting that assignment if you are not plugged in politically or an actual retired, certified LE officer.

For someone with zero LE experience, MCSD might be a stepping stone in the right direction towards an LE career. I don't tell you all of this to ruin your day, I just want you to have your eyes open. If you get hired, keep your head down, learn what you can, build a good work record and keep your eyes open for an actual LE job. You can learn some valuable things that are applicable to LE while working in the jail. But if you ever want to be an actual street cop or detective, you'd best be looking elsewhere.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

VIP Member
    Good luck, and stay safe.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    You are likely to be hired, if you have a clear background. From what I hear from current employees, they cannot keep deputies. Turnover is brisk, due to working conditions and political BS. After the "academy", which is not state certified by ILEA, you will likely be assigned to the jail. You will not be a merit deputy like the other 91 counties in Indiana, but you will be a "special" deputy, which is an at-will employee that can be fired or disciplined at any time with no recourse. Pay is about $10,000 - $20,000 less than actual law enforcement agencies in the metro area. The sheriff is trying to get a merit board in place for the deputies, and the sheriff himself is a good guy. However, because of his predecessor, MCSD lost all of their merit deputies (law enforcement division and investigations division.....street patrol and detectives) to the political BS that was the LE merger of MCSD and IPD to create IMPD in 2007. MCSD is now simply jail, building and court security and inmate transportation. There is a small "warrant squad," but good luck getting that assignment if you are not plugged in politically or an actual retired, certified LE officer.

For someone with zero LE experience, MCSD might be a stepping stone in the right direction towards an LE career. I don't tell you all of this to ruin your day, I just want you to have your eyes open. If you get hired, keep your head down, learn what you can, build a good work record and keep your eyes open for an actual LE job. You can learn some valuable things that are applicable to LE while working in the jail. But if you ever want to be an actual street cop or detective, you'd best be looking elsewhere.

That is what I look at it as, a entry position into the much larger field. I am looking to get on a few police departments in the area, but they are the first ones to call me back. I plan to work with them for a few years and get some good experience before applying to IMPD.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Good luck man I tested with Mesa PD In Arizona winter 2009-2010. 2000 people applied, I got all the way to the polygraph as well as 99 other people. They were supposed to hire 25 people but there funding disappeared and no one was hired. If it doesn't work out don't give up man, just keep trying

If you can find out what is on their agility test. Typical is a distance run of say a mile and a half, push ups, pull ups, sit ups, and a bend and reach. Some places instead of pulls ups will do a flexed arm hang or a wall or fence obstacle you have to get over in a specified time.
    When doing your push ups pay particular attention to your form. Back straight and all the way down every time. Same with the pull ups, proper form and no swinging. If it isn't correct it doesn't count.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen. A week ago I applied to the Marion County Sheriffs Department here in Indiana, got it in on the last day that the process was open. Today I opened my mail and discovered a letter from the sheriff. It said. Mr INCCWCHRIS, At this time we would like to congratulate you on the acceptance of your application to begin the process of hiring as a Marion County Deputy Sheriff. Your test date is Saturday January 14th. I know its just the beginning, but my application was one of the few selected from 400 applicants to even begin the process, so I can't help but be excited. Any advice about the test?
    Dag, I saw mcsd and thought it might be Marine Corps San Diego! Oh well! good luck! and congraulations!

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    If you can find out what is on their agility test. Typical is a distance run of say a mile and a half, push ups, pull ups, sit ups, and a bend and reach. Some places instead of pulls ups will do a flexed arm hang or a wall or fence obstacle you have to get over in a specified time.
    When doing your push ups pay particular attention to your form. Back straight and all the way down every time. Same with the pull ups, proper form and no swinging. If it isn't correct it doesn't count.
    This guy is a former military man right?
    No problem with the physical fitness!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links