Park Ranger killed - Page 3

Park Ranger killed

This is a discussion on Park Ranger killed within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got news, this is actually not that uncommon. That area wasn't safe to hike when I was a green 2LT in the US Army stationed ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Park Ranger killed

Got news, this is actually not that uncommon. That area wasn't safe to hike when I was a green 2LT in the US Army stationed at Fort Lewis in the early 1980s. Even back then, a buddy of mine was nearly killed by an IED laid along an isolated mountain trail by a pot farmer. If the trip wire hadn't been white monofilament and the point guy a 'Nam vet SFC (E-7), the thing could have wiped out a section of troops, like maybe 20 guys. As it was we were all evacuated from the training area via CH47 choppers while EOD and the MP's flew in. Also, serial killers have always abounded in the area. Look at Ted Bundy and the Green River Killer to name but two. I know there have been many more. The area is simply perfect for that sub-species.

All the officers I knew in the infantry back then always carried one or two mags of live ammo just in case. Of course they were always kept carefully apart from the training blanks. Still, doing so was a clear case of the time honored infantry game we called "BET YOUR BARS" Because if you were ever caught, even if you had to use them to drive off the bad guys, you were going to get a court martial and lose your rear-end. We were constantly being briefed by the FBI and BATF (before they added the "E") on biker gangs who were looking to steal arms or ordnance from the military. A working M60 LMG could bring plenty big $$$$. To them it was worth a certain amount of risk if they could get us near a road and figured we'd not be carrying live ammo. So we "O's" tended to play that game and also drew extra supplies of flares (trip & parachute) and tear gas for training... lol.

Moreover, being a Park Ranger got more dangerous in the 1990s. When the true flood of illegals really started to roll in singles and in groups from the smugglers. Back then it quickly became a shift from Ranger Rick to Ranger Rambo as they started being issued M16s and other equipment from the military, especially in the area of surveillance and weapon mounted night optics.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Chad rogers,
    OK, thought she was possibly unarmed. The Forest Service has given a ticket book, and taser to their regular types and stepped up issuing fines. I was afraid it was one of them. IMHO those are being put in harms way just handing out tickets. Looks like plain o'le hypothermia got this guy.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Chad rogers,
    OK, thought she was possibly unarmed. The Forest Service has given a ticket book, and taser to their regular types and stepped up issuing fines. I was afraid it was one of them. IMHO those are being put in harms way just handing out tickets. Looks like plain o'le hypothermia got this guy.
    Yup. Too bad. Except for the violent shivering at the start this is a very easy way to die. Just fall asleep. Hope he wakes up in a very HOT place.
    msgt/ret and Rock and Glock like this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links