13 hour Police shifts?

This is a discussion on 13 hour Police shifts? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One Phoenix police precinct is doing a 6 month study where officers work 3 13 hour 20 minute shifts in a row with 4 days ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 13 hour Police shifts?

13 hour Police shifts?

One Phoenix police precinct is doing a 6 month study where officers work 3 13 hour 20 minute shifts in a row with 4 days off. Normal Phoenix P.D. shifts are 4 10 hour days. I follow stuff like this closely because when I ETS out of the Army I am going to be applying with Phoenix P.D. So officers on DC what are your shifts and how do you like them?

Phoenix police precinct will test 13-hour days

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    4 tens is the best IMO
    NCW Ray likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Several of the departments in my area have 12 hour shifts.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    13 hours is pushing it when it comes to being alert. It also wrecks havoc with family life.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

13 hours in the heat,sweating under a vest,dealing with traffic and other radio calls,It could possibly lead to mental fatigue that may lead to carelessness and end up going really bad
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    It's been proven that 12 hours is pressing the limits. After that people tend to make unsound decisions. I'll almost guarantee that the first time an officer is involved in a shooting and he's already worked 13 hours, it will be used in a lawsuit against a city.

Besides the legal aspect. How many LEO who work an 8, or 10 or 12 get off after that many hours? I know when I was in the military, my 8 hour days usually ran more like 10 or 11 hours.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Spencer you read the comments on your link ?? could be PD chief had managment consult that said no..city manager and union said yes...gonna try it...
    If the guys want it, they make it work...nice to have 4 days off....the rub may be rotating nite and days after every 4 day off...much written about disrupted sleep patterns...good luck

VIP Member
    12 hours is long enough..and it burned me out after 30 years of it....
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

sgb
    Bean counters - 12 hour shifts should be the max.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

12 hour shifts are bad enough, and the way it usually works out with budget cuts, the officer will catch a late call 30 minutes before shift change and get stuck working 2 or 3 more hours of overtime (I know this from experience). So with the commute home and to work, it can be a 16 hour day there and back again in uniform. That leaves darned little time for family, sleep or anything else. Tired officers make bad decisions, and get grumpy, making for poor safety and poor public relations.
    NCW Ray and Secret Spuk like this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

VIP Member
    I work 12s and wouldn't want a shorter shift. I've never heard anyone in my dept. complain about 12s, but I've heard plenty of guys complain about 8s, I mean, who wants to work 5 days every week? I work M and T, off W and Th, work F, Sa and Su, next week only work W and Th.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

...13 hour shifts? Wow, just how many doughnuts can a man eat?
    JerryMac and Secret Spuk like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    It's been proven that 12 hours is pressing the limits. After that people tend to make unsound decisions. I'll almost guarantee that the first time an officer is involved in a shooting and he's already worked 13 hours, it will be used in a lawsuit against a city.

Besides the legal aspect. How many LEO who work an 8, or 10 or 12 get off after that many hours? I know when I was in the military, my 8 hour days usually ran more like 10 or 11 hours.
    How true! Come up to 15 minutes to the end of your 13 hour shift and get a fatal accident, your good for at least 5-6 more!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I believe for Police Officers a 12 hour shift is too much. While 12, and 13 hour shifts may work for some departments where most time is spent doing patrol, and maybe answering a few calls for service... Many departments are already understaffed, and the cops are being pushed to the limit. In my department, and in my command we answered about an average of two calls an hour from 4 to 12, and on the midnight tour that has gone a high a 4 or 5 per hour. My personal record was on a midnight tour where my sector answered 24 calls. It's been my experience that while cops are working they are more often under some level of stress... When it's busy we eat unhealthy, and drive too fast. The #1 killer of on duty police is auto accidents. The # 1 killer of off duty, and retired Cops is heart attacks.

The devorce rate among Police is always higher than that among most other professions. Spending more time away from your family getting stressed out that much more at work cant be good for the family. I know... they get a 4 day swing between sets. How much of that time will be spent in bed?.. or on a second job? IMO 13 hr tours are wrong is so many ways I could go on for ever. But I'm sure that I'm boring anyone. I see that a few active, and retired Cops have chimed in on this subject. Funny how we all have similar feelings...
    JerryMac and SIXTO like this.

Coming at youu from a different industry here, i work on a boat, and many studies have been done by the Coast Guard, they are always studying something, but we have a 12 hour maximum work day, period. Of course we are on the boat, where we do not travel to and from work every day, and have to worry about eating, ect. We have 3 good meals a day ready, and bed made n reaady to hit at end of shift, which is 6 hours on 6 hours off, but have noticed, many accidents out here happening at the early morning hours, which is end of second shift, and it is a stressfull job. IMO 10 hours a day should be max, and do 3 on 4 off 4 on 3 off .....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links