Newark NJ offering reward for informing on guns

This is a discussion on Newark NJ offering reward for informing on guns within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Newark NJ is offering 1000 dollars to anonymously inform on somebody you think has an illegal gun. You decide. To me it sounds like Nazi ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Newark NJ offering reward for informing on guns

Newark NJ offering reward for informing on guns

Newark NJ is offering 1000 dollars to anonymously inform on somebody you think has an illegal gun. You decide. To me it sounds like Nazi Germany. I know the stated purpose is to get illegal guns off the street but this is totally anonymous.
    The police will never know who you are even when you collect the 1000 dollars.
    To me it encourages neighbors to report just on a suspicion.
    I hope the police don't feel that just a tip, totally anonymous is enough to search somebody.
    I do not like the way this country is headed. But you all judge for yourself.

Turn in your neighbor for owning a gun....get $1000 REWARD in Newark, NJ - YouTube

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    First of all, there is nothing honorable about the Mayor.

Second of all, in the event you get "arrested" for carrying a legal gun, then the city of Newark would be liable for false arrest.

Since most cops will place you at gunpoint when taking your weapon, that also could be grounds for a lawsuit.

This idea is so fundamentally wrong that I dont even know where to start. I hope that the Mayor, as well as the rest of the fools that govern in Newark, get their lips ripped off for being stupid.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    First of all, there is nothing honorable about the Mayor.

Second of all, in the event you get "arrested" for carrying a legal gun, then the city of Newark would be liable for false arrest.

Since most cops will place you at gunpoint when taking your weapon, that also could be grounds for a lawsuit.

This idea is so fundamentally wrong that I dont even know where to start. I hope that the Mayor, as well as the rest of the fools that govern in Newark, get their lips ripped off for being stupid.
    I honestly thought it was a SNL skit...it just seemed so absurd

The air in NJ is clouding good judgment and causing stupidity.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    SNIP: To me it encourages neighbors to report just on a suspicion.SNIP
    That is the whole idea. A new twist on Neighborhood Watch.

Michael

I grew up in Newark. Craphole of a place. Police State. So glad I have no reason to even go back and visit.

I dunno - maybe it could be quite a money maker if somebody could do some online research to find names and addresses of all the convicted felons in the area and start calling them in one by one. Kinda like playing the scratch-off lottery with the odds stacked in your favor of scoring on at least one out of three
    NYCrulesU and SHTFGearLLC like this.

How about a list of New Jersey politicians? That could be fun!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Its sort of funny how tyrants will abuse people all in the name of safety and get away with it.

If the people of Newark had a lick of sense, they would have started a recall on this Yahoo for being to stupid to act as Mayor.

VIP Member
    It doesn't even have to result in an arrest. Somebody could scatter a carload of Ravens, Titans and Hi Points all over town, phone in the locations, and make a suitcase full of No Questions Asked loot.
    It also occurred to me that when the mayor grows weary of politics, he might have a real future pitching JG Wentworth.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    I grew up in Newark. Craphole of a place. Police State. So glad I have no reason to even go back and visit.
    And that (in bold) is why really drastic action is needed. I'm not sure I like the "bribe to snitch" routine, but if
    a genuine BG is in illegal possession, they need to be taken off the streets.

They are not really talking about going after nice law abiding licensed out of state visitors to Newark (not that such isn't going to happen); at least not usually. They are talking about getting the felons in possession, the gang bangers, the dealers, the
    Stop & Rob thugs, and similar separated from their weapons. So, holding my nose, I say "thumbs up" even if it is Joyzeee.

And for punishment when caught, they should stick the illegally possessed weapon, unloaded, in the waist band of the evil doers,
    then march them at gun point under the river to the NY side. Then let nature take its course.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

They are not really talking about going after nice law abiding licensed out of state visitors to Newark (not that such isn't going to happen); at least not usually.
    No, they are talking about relativley clueless people seeing anyone with a gun and ASSUMING that it is illegal.

What we have here is about to amount to a huge waste of time and resources and anyone that"at least not usually"cant see that is as guilty as the mayor is of being a waste of flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    And that (in bold) is why really drastic action is needed. I'm not sure I like the "bribe to snitch" routine, but if
    a genuine BG is in illegal possession, they need to be taken off the streets.
    I don't like it at all. If somebody knows of a person with an illegal firearm they can tip off the police anonymously anyway. This is a bribe to snitch on your neighbors. Just like after 9/11 they had the "snitch on your neighbor" campaign. Thousands of reports to police and not one led to anything that was terror related. And honestly,how would someone know if a person owns a gun illegaly? I am sure if you know the guy just got out of prison for rape and you saw him with one,but you can still call the cops.
    We are using every excuse/reason to infringe more on our privacy and rights. Living in a crappy place is not a reason to encourage citizens to call a tip line for MONEY.
    How many people will have a cop come to their door to see if a firearm is legal? Ya know what, one is too many if it is from a tip.
    mkh likes this.

Yeah.. This is scary. They might as well be bribing people to tell them if there are jews hiding in somebody's home. Anne Frank is probably spinning in her grave. Yeah, I am also worried about the fact that most people won't know what is a legal and illegal gun.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=adric22;2132593]Yeah.. This is scary. They might as well be bribing people to tell them if there are jews hiding in somebody's home. Anne Frank is probably spinning in her grave. Yeah, I am also worried about the fact that most people won't know what is a legal and illegal gun.[/QUOTE]

My concern is not with a legal or illegal gun. It is with folks who are illegally in possession. Sometimes we really have to be practical and hold our noses a bit. It sounds like Newark is trying to illegally possessed weapons off the streets, and since such are (with the rare exception of the out of state naive) in the hand of people who have chosen to disregard the law, I have no problem with it.

There is a world of difference between trying to clean up your city from gang activity and the poor analogy you used turning in innocent people for systematic slaughter.

I can't think of a single gun crime of violence in my community which has ever involved a license holder. And most are done by people who can not legally possess at all.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links