Italians Seize Arms (CLASS III) Shipment Headed for USA

Italians Seize Arms (CLASS III) Shipment Headed for USA

This is a discussion on Italians Seize Arms (CLASS III) Shipment Headed for USA within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Italy reports seizing US-bound arms shipment AFP Sunday, August 20, 2006 ROME, Italy (AFP) - Italian authorities seized a container full of weapons, including Kalashnikov ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Italians Seize Arms (CLASS III) Shipment Headed for USA

Italy reports seizing US-bound arms shipment
    AFP
    Sunday, August 20, 2006

ROME, Italy (AFP) - Italian authorities seized a container full of weapons, including Kalashnikov assault rifles and plastic explosives bound for the United States from Saudi Arabia in May, press reports said yesterday.

Il Mattino newspaper said that the "arsenal" was discovered during a search of a ship registered to an unnamed ex-Soviet republic, which was travelling from Saudi Arabia to the US east coast.

It was boarded by customs officials in the port of Gioia Tauro in the southern Calabria region. They discovered more than 70 AK-47 assault rifles, plastics used in explosives and launch pads for rockets, the daily said.

Without quoting its sources, the Ansa news agency later reported that "the shipment was permitted, but certain papers were missing from the accompanying documents".

It said that the container could continue its journey as soon as the identification documents had been validated.

An inquiry is under way with the participation of US secret services, Il Mattino said.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

"The shipment was PERMITTED?"

Okay...which one of you guys ordered this load of toys? Where is ClassIII? C'mon fess up!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

One more NOTE: It finally happened. My commie server at work finally got around to banning this url. So I'm signing off until I can get home this afternoon. SOB WAIL. No more posts from the job. No more reading while the kids work. DAGNABBIT. Okay everybody....seeeeeeYA this afternoon. ExSoldier

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I think that was a good find, personally.

We all say that "we dont need new laws. Just better enforcement of the current ones." This is that statement in action. If its legal, then I'm sure the weapons will continue. However, plastique is not exactly something to take lightly nor is it Class 3 (that I know of).... and notice they didn't say how much was confiscated.

And BTW... What the hell is a "launch pad for rockets"????? Are we talkin about those little model rockets? Because I can't think of any portable platforms that utilize launch pads. Though they could be referring to ATGM's (anti-tank guided missiles) or the press in their infinite wisdom may have confused terms with "MANPAD's" which are shoulder-fired SAM's. Either way - that's scary.

Bravo to the Italians. We owe 'em one.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

what you mean we owe 'em? they going to let them continue as soon as they provide the fake papers they need and that stuff will end up in the hands of the criminals.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I think other countries are trying as hard as they can to prevent this stuff. If an attack of moderate size happens here, it effects the world. It is in the best interest of every country to defend the United States. The chairman of the US Federal Reserve is referred to as "the worlds most powerful man" for a reason. If the Fed gets unnerved... Europe and Asia reap the aftershocks.

And thats just for a monitary loss. Think about how much damage a team of 12 could do with 50 pounds of plastique and AK's for everyone..... The human loss of life would have been.... just unreal.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

This is scary; just plain scary. Coming from a country that professes a modicum of friendship with the USA, this shipment could wreck havock in a large metro.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    The Saudis actions speak louder than words....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

When says that the shipment was "permitted", it sounds to me like in the context that means that the shipment was legal - probably bound for a US arms dealer that deals with Class III firearms and controlled explosives used in demolition. It's good that the Italians are on alert, but we shouldn't overreact to every (possibly) false alarm.

Just my $.02.

Assistant Administrator
    This could be interpreted in two ways - a shaky backdoor, barely legit shipment. or totally up front to a legal destination. Still tho probably good that this type of stuff is tracked and known about.

Jim - sorry to hear about losing the URL at work, that sux! Wondering if, you had your personal laptop - you could hook up to dialup and get out that way.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yep going to a SLEEPER cell. We gotta watch the Saudies.They arnt as nice as ALOT of sheeples belive.

Lead Moderator
    Saudis a re as much our friends as the Japanese right before Dec 17, 1941.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

China, in the body of Norinco Sports, tried to get several thousand FA AKs in, during the Clinton reign. "Legit" shipment?!?! Give me a break! LAPD going from the AR to the AK, all of a sudden?

This should be a no-brainer to any modest student of history- funding a revolution (anarchy) on the cheap. China needs oil. Saudi likes money. Who needs us interfering?

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    One more NOTE: It finally happened. My commie server at work finally got around to banning this url. So I'm signing off until I can get home this afternoon. SOB WAIL. No more posts from the job. No more reading while the kids work. DAGNABBIT. Okay everybody....seeeeeeYA this afternoon. ExSoldier
    Try this - https://proxify.com/
    If your office is using websense or something similar this should get you around it.

Jim - the site is arguably for "constitutional matters" and "current events" that add to the classroom instruction? I know I'm grasping at straws..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links