What are the capabilities of those Iranian speedboats?

This is a discussion on What are the capabilities of those Iranian speedboats? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; They don't look like they carry any type of missile, so just how dangerous are they? I can't find a clear answer on the WWW....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What are the capabilities of those Iranian speedboats?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

They don't look like they carry any type of missile, so just how dangerous are they? I can't find a clear answer on the WWW.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I know that mines are a major concern, not sure if the speed board drop them though.

Ship hulls are nowhere close to main battle tanks. You could carry a couple of dozen RPG's on a bass boat. You can also carry assorted IEDs like satchel charges with magnets to attach them to the hull. They can also have boarding parties. They are really not much of a threat to U.S. naval assets (assuming our crews are paying attention) but to freighters and tankers they are as serious as the Somali pirates.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Ask the survivors of the USS Cole attack.

VIP Member
    They are quite capable of being shredded by our Navy. They are also quite capable of rotting on the bottom of the ocean for many, many years.

Go Navy!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Ask the survivors of the USS Cole attack.
    That was a much smaller civilian boat that carried explosives and the crew of the USS COle was unprepared for the attack. A flagged Iranian vessel should not pose a danger to a US warship since they would be identified well ahead of time. They are a danger to civilian shipping.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    That was a much smaller civilian boat that carried explosives and the crew of the USS COle was unprepared for the attack. A flagged Iranian vessel should not pose a danger to a US warship since they would be identified well ahead of time. They are a danger to civilian shipping.
    A much smaller, slower boat. Yes, got it.

Several of their vessels do carry anti-ship missiles and could do some damage. Corvettes and larger patrol boast can and do carry missiles. But, we would be monitoring their movements and our radars should pick up any incoming and be able to neutralize even multiple threats. But anything is possible and larger, simultaneous numbers would make it more dangerous, it would be stupid to be complacent.
    suntzu likes this.

Senior Moderator
    The last time we smoked some Iranian Gunboats in the early 80's, they had antiship capability. IRRC they each carried 4 HARPOON antiship missles.

At that time,the HARPOON was a front line missle and a single missle was quite capbable of sinking a Destroyer, or a Frigate or something around that class ans size of ship.

The boats were fast,they could do a launch and be gone before the missle ever hit the target.

I dont know what they carry now, but they could be a serious threat to any ship in the area, as they can pack a powerful puncn if correctly equipped.

Where would they get such stuff? They didnt have to go far to look. The crews were trained at San Diego Naval Training Center and their gunboats were aquired from the good old United States of America.

It was then that I began to realize that not all things are as they seem.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The speedboats usually have 7.62mm machine guns, or .50 cals. They may also pack suicide explosives, as used against the USS Cole in 2000, per above. Personally, I think any speedboat coming closer then 200 yards, and failing to respond to verbal orders to decease and a warning shot, should simply be blasted out of the water. Who knows what intentions they have?

They sink pretty well

From what I have seen on TV it looks like some are the Boghammar class boats. They are the nautical equivalent of the pick up truck with a machine gun mounted in the back. An RPG would be about the most effective weapon they could deploy; kamikaze attacks with explosives while theoretically possible are unlikely. The U.S.S. Cole was in port which allowed the boat to approach, open sea in a whole different arena.

The bigger ones are probably Zolfaqhar speedboats. They pose a bigger threat as they are a modern PT boat. Along with torpedoes, they could carry the Noor or possibly even Qader missles,; Iranian copies of the Chinese C-802 anti-ship missiles. Their potential range is up to 200km and pack a punch similar to the Harpoon. They have terminal guidance and a very low flight profile so could be difficult to stop. I do not know if they have been matched up against anything like our Phalanx CIWS. A couple hits from these missiles could possibly sink a frigate or even a destroyer with lucky placement but it would have to be a sucker punch. There would be no opportunity for a second try given our likely reply to such an attack.

I would guess there would be no operational Iranian vessel at sea after such an event
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

VIP Member
    Surface to bottom of the sea in 3.5 seconds!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have been watching the whole Iranian "situation" with a bit of interest. Something has to give. If you take the predictions that they will have neuclear weapon capability within the hear, I am betting Isreal will act. It is a shame our administration does not support Isreal against Iran, but they they do not need our blessing to defend themselves.

Never underestimate the "Enemy",anything can happen and that guy in Iran with the small penis syndrome may decide to try something stupid
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The last time we smoked some Iranian Gunboats in the early 80's, they had antiship capability. IRRC they each carried 4 HARPOON antiship missles.

At that time,the HARPOON was a front line missle and a single missle was quite capbable of sinking a Destroyer, or a Frigate or something around that class ans size of ship.

The boats were fast,they could do a launch and be gone before the missle ever hit the target.

I dont know what they carry now, but they could be a serious threat to any ship in the area, as they can pack a powerful puncn if correctly equipped.

Where would they get such stuff? They didnt have to go far to look. The crews were trained at San Diego Naval Training Center and their gunboats were aquired from the good old United States of America.

It was then that I began to realize that not all things are as they seem.
    Actually all the US support ceased when the Shah was deposed. My very first ship in 1981 was one of four which were to originally slated to be sold to Iran. After the revolution, those four were kept by our Navy and became the Kidd class destroyers with much upgraded offensive and defensive capabilities. Iran now relies mostly on Russia and China for their military acquisitions. Any remnants they have from the US is very outdated which is not to say it is not still dangerous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links