Act of terrorism thwarted?

This is a discussion on Act of terrorism thwarted? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Perhaps we might have had another Columbine... here in Iowa... But, near as I can find out no guns were found in possession of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Act of terrorism thwarted?

Perhaps we might have had another Columbine... here in Iowa... But, near as I can find out no guns were found in possession of the minors... Though their parents may have the usual hunting guns...

Anyway, here are the stories:

Emily Kay Six Arrested for Conspiracy

Two More Arrested in School Plot

I hope that, over time, more details emerge.
    Last edited by oakchas; January 25th, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I simply don't get it. It's beyond my mental capacity to understand what motivates these "people".

Off to gitmo with them...../end sarcasm
    Last edited by Harryball; January 26th, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    So few details given could it be possible someone overacted in reporting their suspicions?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Too little information,and to tell the truth,they may have been venting against being bullied,I wouldn't put it past a student that when thinking they are helping the Cops to arrest some terrorists to fabricate something that was never said or implied.If they were actually planning another columbine and trying to recruit students,how hard would it be to have a student wear a "wire" and catch them planning it.If it was a severe threat why wasn't the FBI notified to help with electronic surveillance etc.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Off to gitmo with them.....
    That's the kind of attitude that belongs in gitmo.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    In the old days I was more afraid of my parents than the cops.

Of course we walked to school through a blizzard every day, uphill both ways.
    Rock and Glock and RemMod597 like this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    In the old days I was more afraid of my parents than the cops.

The snow was so deep we had to use a snorkel to breathe
    RemMod597 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

hard to say on this one.... hopefully they'll actually look for the truth, and find it, rather than just trying to make a case.

I was good at finding "insiders" , who would tell me as long as they didn't have to get involved. The kids at the school.... "know". Things can't and don't stay that quiet with kids that age. Too much posturing and bragging going on for that. But, I'm betting anyone else .... who may have been "in" for this plan, or "BSing" of one, are laying low.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocPMD View Post
    I simply don't get it. It's beyond my mental capacity to understand what motivates these "people".
    Feeling or being thought of as outcasts. Not part of the "in" crowd. Their way of reacting to that.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    in the old days i was more afraid of my parents than the cops.

barefoot!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    That's the kind of attitude that belongs in gitmo.
    If forgot the.....

/end sarcasm, Sorry you didnt get it...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Before I render any sort of opinion, I would like to see that the "evidence" exists and that this is based upon more than "interviews", for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Before I render any sort of opinion, I would like to see that the "evidence" exists and that this is based upon more than "interviews", for obvious reasons.
    Ya know, that's pretty much what I think... You got some outcast kids wishing they could "do" something to combat their ostracism... This could be nothing more than "geek club," And might be no more "dangerous" than Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes) building a tree fort with "No Girlz Allowed."

I know as a youth I made many nefarious plans.... But I never gathered the necessary toys to carry them out...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Ya know, that's pretty much what I think... You got some outcast kids wishing they could "do" something to combat their ostracism... This could be nothing more than "geek club," And might be no more "dangerous" than Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes) building a tree fort with "No Girlz Allowed."

I know as a youth I made many nefarious plans.... But I never gathered the necessary toys to carry them out...
    That and the other thought that I have is, "do these kids really understand the ramifications of their statements and actions? Do the realize the dire consequences that embellishing or even outright lying could cause?"
    There have been cases in the past where kids have made stuff up and then claimed it was all for 'fun' and they didn't really think anything would come of it, only after someone gets injured or killed do they realize how serious it was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links