Westboro Baptist protesters hit Willis Marine’s funeral - Page 3

Westboro Baptist protesters hit Willis Marine’s funeral

This is a discussion on Westboro Baptist protesters hit Willis Marine’s funeral within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by phreddy From what I understand, they protest in hopes of getting assaulted or their rights violated. Then they sue. In the past ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Westboro Baptist protesters hit Willis Marine’s funeral

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    From what I understand, they protest in hopes of getting assaulted or their rights violated. Then they sue. In the past they have won millions of $.
    Yup, that's how they fund their activities. Most of Phelps' non-branching family tree are attorneys.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

From what I understand, they protest in hopes of getting assaulted or their rights violated. Then they sue. In the past they have won millions of $.
    Source? They won 200K in court and lawyer costs, none for damages against the City of Topeka. They did not bring the lawsuit, the lawsuitts were brought by the city.They lost a civil suit and were ordered to pay 5 million to the father of a marine which was overturned.
    At least 3 family members have been arrested.

I am no fan of these idiots, but they are not getting awarded millions.

The Hell's Angles rode to edge of town to meet them if it is the one in Simpsonville you are speaking of. That usually does the trick :-)

They were supposed to picket a funeral for a medic in Greenville, SC recently. They never showed up. I don't know the reason, but there was a lot of support for the deceased soldiers family. I don't believe Westboro could have gotten anywhere near the funeral.

My understanding is that the majority of the members of this church, if not all, are Phelps family. Either directly related or by marriage. Don't think he's been too successful garnering others to join in his weird belief system. Hats off to the Riders and those folks in a community who show up to disrupt their activities and support the families. Unfortunately we can't have free speech and religion without accepting that some nut cases may decide to exercise thier rights too. If they ever come near here I'll be there to support the fallen warrior and his family by excercising my righrts.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was younger

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links