SWAT Team (Maybe some LEO's can help)

This is a discussion on SWAT Team (Maybe some LEO's can help) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry if this is not the right thread to post this. I am very interested in becoming a SWAT team member but I know nothing ...

Thread: SWAT Team (Maybe some LEO's can help)

Sorry if this is not the right thread to post this.

I am very interested in becoming a SWAT team member but I know nothing about becoming a SWAT. So I am here to ask some questions and ask for advice. I would like to know what does it take to be in the SWAT team and how do you get on. When you get on how does it work? What is the best way to get in? I am one of those guys that want to lead a team into a house or even lead my own team. I wanted to know if it's like you’re a doctor on call all of the time? Maybe some LEO out there can help me out and point me on the right direction (or website) to find out some more info.

VIP Member
    I moved this into the Law Enforcement Military forum. Probably your audience for this question.

You did not mention if you are currently a LEO. If not that is step one. The rest really will vary based on the department or force you are on. You would need to inquire internally to get the requirements for joining SWAT or becoming a TAC officer. I'm sure other may be able to share more.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I am not an LEO and I am going into the police academy pretty soon.

VIP Member
    ...then you need to get your time in as a regular "uni" or plainclothes member-of-service. Most if not all SWAT/ERT/SRT, etc., require at least four years (a good number of departments want a few years more than that) of exemplary "street" LE service before you can even be considered and/or eligible to apply for and/or be invited to attend training.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    srfl hit the nail on the head. You must serve several years on the streets before even being considered for SWAT or TAC. Alot of times, getting into narcotics and running raids will get you close to the SWAT division as they work hand in hand on alot of ops. But the first step is to work uniform for a few years, and be an exemplary officer.
    Fear No Evil.

SWAT Officer

Well, first you need to finish your training obviously (not meant to be a smart a**), then pay your dues for a few years. In our dept. we looked at the prospective members attitude and motivation. We had a lot of guy's who came on the dept. and just "coasted", having no real initiative and doing basically nothing other than talk, but wanted to be on the "Tac-Team".

We interviewed the guy's fellow shift officers to see if he had good "work ethic's" and was "level-headed", making sound decisions, not whether he could "lift a truck", although it is very important to stay in good physical shape.

One needs to keep his shooting skills sharp. We looked for people who are motivated to be a leader, but willing to take orders in a team environment. Every team I met while on our SWAT team were very aggressive, sometimes bordering on arrogant, it comes with the territory.
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

The cops I have talked to say the best SWAT guys are usually the very quiet types.

The SWAT guys I have met are all humble and don't have the "You're either SWAT or you're not" high horse attitudes. You won't see these guys at the bar after their shift. They are in the gym training, going through trial runs on the weekends, handloading ammo together, running together, training together. They go on a call, they handle business. Then they come back and debrief on their own team's performance. They analyze every move made and what can be improved next time. Then they go train some more. That is the SWAT team members I know.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

While you are putting in your field time, work HARD. Learn your job. Be a team player. Don't gripe if you get the back door details. Don't get into trouble. If you do, admit it, learn from it, go on. DIG for good arrests. Use your off time to keep yourself in good physical shape. Shoot, learn to shoot, shoot more. Stress knowing when to shoot above it all. Don't call in sick unless you are SICK. You be the dependable guy, the guy that the sergeant goes to when he wants something done and knows you will do it and he won't have to check on it later. Don't be the squad griper. Give credit to those who deserve it, don't seek it for yourself as it will find you if you deserve it.
    And keep in mind, when you go to the board, they'll ask you questions I could never dream up, anyway.

In order to get into SWAT at our department you have to have at least 3 years on and it's a competitive position, meaning, you will be going against a lot of other guys who want to get on, too. You will have an oral board and your record from permanent down to your unit will be pulled and reviewed.

The best thing that you can do is get a lot of training, get the additional training of shotgun and rifle (if your department doesn't require it), and get any other training you can get your hands on. Get involved in a lot of warrant services, seek out violators rather than just responding to calls all the time (we call these on-sight calls and yes, they are recorded as such), have a stellar record and be motivated.

Our SWAT guys are on-call but do their regular patrol duties as well. They get paid a few dollars per hour to be on-call all the time while off duty and get overtime, etc. when they are paged out as SWAT. When not working SWAT they wear a regular patrol uniform like everyone else (unless they are assigned to a detectives squad or similar).

Disclaimer: Not a LEO, but I work for a large agency in Arizona where our district is 2 hours away from any city or town with a population of more than 3,000 people. We do our own warrant services, we do our own investigations (no detectives come and "take-over" the scene) and our own building entries. A huge majority of our guys become detectives, SWAT, sergeants, lieutenants and captains (and above) -- much of our command staff come from our district as their first assignment, great training opportunities.

Cheers.

elrey, it appears the others have given you great advice. All I can add is once you are sworn in and doing your time in patrol go get some private training. Schools such as API, Thunder Ranch and Bill Rogers offer pistol, shotgun and rifle. If you ever get a chance to take a Louis Awrebuck shotgun course you will never forget what you learn. Also a precision rifle course would help if you ever want to try out for team sniper. Read up much as you can on team tactics, gear etc. The NTOA has a great yearly roundup and competition, they have a website you can get info from. Good Luck.

Alot of good advise here. Qualities need be cool under stress, good tactical mind, team player, Good shape, excellent shot, and sometimes balls the size of grapefruit. Just joking truely there is a fine line between bravrey and stupidity. You talk of wanting to lead a team. In my case I was voted in. In other departments it will be different. Smaller PD's and SO's allow you to wear multiple hats. It is easier to get into a Tactical or SWAT roll in that scenerio. Yes you will be called alot. As I've said many times it is a way of life not a job. You do become very distrusting of people. Your dealing with the bottom 10% and it takes a toll. I'm not talking about the gore but respect for fellow human beings. One more thing when you get out expect to miss it. Money from the private sect becomes very tempting which is the way I went but you never leave the brotherhood. Good luck and stay safe.
    Jim

Sponsored Links