Ever wonder why some LEOs and prosecutors get discouraged?

This is a discussion on Ever wonder why some LEOs and prosecutors get discouraged? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; FINALLY Pa. man faces long prison term after 44 arrests net 0 convictions | Richmond Times-Dispatch ** Pa. man faces long prison term after 44 ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Ever wonder why some LEOs and prosecutors get discouraged?

VIP Member

FINALLY

Pa. man faces long prison term after 44 arrests net 0 convictions | Richmond Times-Dispatch

Pa. man faces long prison term after 44 arrests net 0 convictions

By: ASSOCIATED PRESS | Richmond Times Dispatch
    Published: February 02, 2012

PHILADELPHIA — A Philadelphia man arrested 44 times without a conviction faces at least 32 years in federal prison for a pair of armed robberies.

After two days of deliberations, a jury Wednesday convicted 25-year-old John Gassew of two counts each of robbery and possession of a firearm during a crime.

Gassew was profiled by The Philadelphia Inquirer in 2010 after he was arrested 44 times without a conviction in the city court system. About 20 of those cases collapsed after witnesses failed to appear for court.

Federal prosecutors praised the witnesses who testified during Gassew's most recent trial, including four victims who identified him as their assailant.

Sentencing is scheduled for May.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    I have to wonder why there were no convictions. How many of these ever got to trial? Were there 44
    arrests with insufficient evidence to go to trial? Were there 44 arrests with insufficient evidence or with other errors by
    LEO s and prosecutors to enable plea deals that included jail?

It says that in 20 cases witnesses failed to appear; suggesting ominous happenings such as threats to witnesses.
    What about the other 24 cases?

The story is IMO quite incomplete and is from AP, and not even from the Phila. papers. There's got to be one heck of a lot
    more to this than repeated witness tampering; and I sure hope someone who follows these stories in the Phila. papers
    has more info to tell us on it.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Not much to go on here, but as usual, the Cosmos usually catches up with people.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    The story is IMO quite incomplete and is from AP, and not even from the Phila. papers. There's got to be one heck of a lot
    more to this than repeated witness tampering; and I sure hope someone who follows these stories in the Phila. papers
    has more info to tell us on it.

Added moments later. The story in the Philadelphia Inquirer didn't really add much. Strange situation.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Not much to go on here, but as usual, the Cosmos usually catches up with people.
    What you wrote are actually grand words of wisdom. I've seen it happen repeatedly. And not just to people like the ones we are
    talking about. It always catches up. No need to wait for justice in the next world.

"Sit quietly on the bank of the river and eventually you will see the bodies of your enemies float by."
    Andrew Jackson

He fought the law and the law won; eventually...

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    We used to call that the Long Arm of the Law. I always thought they meant their patrol shotgun!

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Karma..........

I'm surprised at 32 yrs for 2 robberies.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

In some places the Gangs are so entrenched and feared in the Community,that people are scared to show up in court for fear that not only they will be got,but their families will be targeted for revenge
    64zebra and DaveH like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links