Not good -- Report on Federal Air Marshal Service

This is a discussion on Not good -- Report on Federal Air Marshal Service within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Report on Federal Air Marshal Service paints an unflattering picture - CNN.com ** By Jim Barnett and Mike M. Ahlers, CNN updated 8:41 AM EST, ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Hopyard
  • 2 Post By suntzu
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By DaveH
  • 1 Post By ctr

Thread: Not good -- Report on Federal Air Marshal Service

VIP Member

Report on Federal Air Marshal Service paints an unflattering picture - CNN.com

By Jim Barnett and Mike M. Ahlers, CNN
    updated 8:41 AM EST, Fri February 3, 2012

SNIP

Washington (CNN) -- A long-awaited report on alleged misconduct within the Federal Air Marshal Service concludes that while supervisors do not engage in "widespread" discrimination and retaliation against rank-and-file air marshals, the agency is far from trouble-free.

SNIP

-----

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Investigators say they "heard too many negative ... accounts" of misconduct to dismiss them
    • A "substantial percentage" of air marshals report supervisor problems, a report says
    • But the report also says rank-and-file air marshals share in the blame
    • The agency's mission has not been compromised by the troubles, he report says.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Glad somebody is trying to get to the bottom of things @ the agency.

They are no different than any other agency, or business.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    Sounds no different than any other place to me. A few folks with questionable judgment, others making mountains from mole hills.

One thing Uncle does right is continuously train on things like non-discrimination and illegality of acts of retaliation. With 2+ million people employed there will always be incidents and bad apples. And rank and file ALWAYS (with rare exceptions anywhere) think unkind things about management. That's life.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Air Marshall = Gestapo

911 was a victory for the enemies of Democracy. They caught us by surprise in an apparent hijack attempt. Just because we lost a battle doesn't mean we need to give up our weapons that defend our philosophies and our way of life.

Just say not to terrorism.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Air Marshall = Gestapo

911 was a victory for the enemies of Democracy. They caught us by surprise in an apparent hijack attempt. Just because we lost a battle doesn't mean we need to give up our weapons that defend our philosophies and our way of life.

What I put in bold--- That is a very very very sad commentary on how you look at things. As best I can tell an ordinary person going about their business as a traveler will never have any encounter with an Air Marshall. As I understand it, their duties are limited to providing emergency protection on board airlines. How in the world does that translate to Gestapo or anything else bad.

The Air Marshall service may have its management issues, its typical employee v management fights over who gets what assignments, and all of that very ordinary stuff, but how in the world can anyone sanely call the folks who try to protect us on-board flights "Gestapo."

My own view is that the service might well be unnecessary. Or, conversely, that it might well be greatly expanded. But Gestapo?

Give me a break. Either you have no clue what the word means or your mode of expression is hyperbolic.
    DaveH and swiftyjuan like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Air Marshall = Gestapo

That is ridiculous. (in bold). I have never heard of a complaint of air marshalls intruding on someones privacy. There job is to not let folks know who they are. The article and this thread is on how the management is bad.
    Now, I am no fan of the TSA but that is in respect to their policies that IMO infringe at the least on our privacy and at worst our rights. Further, I do not believe they are that effective or the amount of money they get budgeted. But even I would not equate them to Gestapo. And my feeling run pretty deep about government intrusion.

I will agree with the last part. Our reaction to the attacks on 9/11 were anticipated by Al Queda. They knew after the attacks another major attack would be difficult. It was 8 years before the first failed attempt to bring down the towers and when they succeeded. They will attack again in a different way and bigger when it suits there needs and agenda. But they accomplished what they set out to do.
    DaveH and swiftyjuan like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Likewise, unless you personally know who they are, you never know if that person sitting next to you on an airliner is a Sky Marshall or not. Not once have I been acosted by or ever seen any example of any Gestapo behavior. The one air marshall I know is so 1-in-a-crowd-of-a-1000 that you'd never pick him out--and that's the way they like it.

The saddest issue with the AM service is that there's not enough of them--as evidensed by 9-11. Perhaps we should all pay $1 more per ticket to pay for the (unseen) armed security we can only wish existed for every flight.
    DaveH likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Ditto the heart of what Hopyard, suntzu and Oldvet said.

The body work of the Air Marshalls is not akin to the Gestapo, IMHO, -- although, the Air Marshall Service's problems appear to go beyond typical management issues (such as fights over who gets what assignments, albeit there is some of that).

I've had more than my share of "contact" with TSA -- as I have the same name as that of a known and convicted terrorist -- i.e., the name he had as a birth name before his "conversion." (Even when he was locked up in Gitmo, the name triggered interesting responses . Always wondered about that. )

Ditto, having a pacemaker and therefore not being able to be "wanded" creating some up-close-and personal experiences.

I just arrive an extra hour early, never leave the secure area at en route layovers, and go with the flow. No need starting a fight you can't win.

However, IMHO, much of TSA of security circus / security theater is unneeded, wasteful, and of questionable effect. Also, see attached.

I object more to a waste of tax money and on principle issues, than logistic issues.

All that said, I have never had a bad encounter w/ an Air Marshall, while having flown an incredible amount -- domestic and international.

As to Gestapo, I have seen normal present day police practices at work around the world. We are not subjected to even close to the typical, much less to the Gestapo.
    Attached Images
    Hopyard likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Air Marshall = Gestapo

Not sure how you came up with this from the OP's post???
    DaveH likes this.

Sponsored Links