Post-traumatic stress disorder Marine found after 2 days in snow

This is a discussion on Post-traumatic stress disorder Marine found after 2 days in snow within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Former Marine found after 2 days in Ore. snow - Law Enforcement News ** February 10, 2012 Former Marine found after 2 days in Ore. ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 10 Post By azchevy
  • 1 Post By gunthorp

Thread: Post-traumatic stress disorder Marine found after 2 days in snow

VIP Member

Post-traumatic stress disorder Marine found after 2 days in snow

Former Marine found after 2 days in Ore. snow - Law Enforcement News

February 10, 2012

Former Marine found after 2 days in Ore. snow[/h][h=2]Police became concerned when they discovered he has post-traumatic stress disorder and had run-ins with law enforcement

Associated Press

ROSEBURG, Ore. — A former Marine sniper who suffers from panic attacks and fled on foot following a minor traffic accident in Oregon was found after two days in the snow.

Jason D. Cooper, 37, of Temecula, Calif., was found Wednesday in a remote wooded area lying on tree branches, trying to keep warm, Oregon State Police said.

He was taken to a Roseburg hospital and transferred to Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland where nursing supervisor Phyllis Riggs said he's listed in critical condition but stable condition and likely to be upgraded Friday.

Cooper had been driving Monday when he was involved in a low-speed rear-end collision on Highway138D, which runs through the Umpqua National Forest.

The other driver was surprised to see Cooper, wearing shorts and sandals, run off through the snow into the woods, The Oregonian reported Friday.

Police followed tracks through snow 2-feet deep but had to stop at dark.

They became more concerned when they discovered he has post-traumatic stress disorder and had run-ins with law enforcement.

"I found out that he had panic attacks during stressful situations and sometimes just had to run away," said Sgt. Dave Randall, also an ex-Marine.

Randall and Senior Trooper Don Frerichs of the Fish and Wildlife Division returned to the crash scene and followed the tracks for more than five miles on snowmobiles.

When they came upon Cooper, obviously suffering from hypothermia, Randall addressed him as Staff Sgt. Cooper and asked him how he was doing.

"He asked me how I knew he was a Marine and I said, `Hey, a Marine always knows a fellow Marine.' After that, we were fast friends."

Cooper told the troopers that at one point he removed his sandals because the straps were cutting his feet. He walked several miles through deep, crusty snow in his bare feet until the ice slashed into his skin, so he put the sandals back on.

He told them that he was so cold he could not stand up. When Randall asked him if he was scared being out in the woods alone for two days, Cooper replied, "Of what?"

After Randall and Frerichs gave Cooper a sandwich and extra clothing, they bundled him onto a snowmobile and took him back to the highway.

"The amazing thing is he will not have any long-lasting effects from the hypothermia or frostbite," Randall said. "He's a tough, tough guy, physically and mentally tough. The real deal."

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

We as a society do not do enough for our veterans..... every other welfare schlep that doesn't deserve it takes and takes, but we do not do enough for our veterans. I wish him well.

VIP Member
    We all need to send prayers to our Vets, whoever, wherever, and however they may be. Thank goodness Sgt. Randall persisted to save a fellow Marine.
    DaveH likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Glad they found him and hope he recovers from the cold. I agree we don't do enough for our veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    We as a society do not do enough for our veterans..... every other welfare schlep that doesn't deserve it takes and takes, but we do not do enough for our veterans. I wish him well.
    AMEN to that....Well put.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Sincerely hope and pray that S/Sgt. Cooper soon recovers. Sadly, there are tens of thousands like S/Sgt. Cooper out there. i know some of them.

For many years the military and VA denied the existence of PTSD. The military and the VA are still ill-prepared to care for troops and veterans with PTSD. My VA doctor has 2,000 patients.
    Last edited by Sig 210; February 15th, 2012 at 10:18 AM.

Links