How often is calling the PD too often? - Page 2

How often is calling the PD too often?

This is a discussion on How often is calling the PD too often? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by PatrioticRick Calling 911 always seems to bother me, because I don't think most things justify a real emergency, like a car alarm ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often is calling the PD too often?

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    Calling 911 always seems to bother me, because I don't think most things justify a real emergency, like a car alarm or a suspicious vehicle, etc. So I call the sheriff's office direct and let them decide. Of course in my little ho-dunk town, any excuse to haul a$$ across town and they're there.

From what I read recently 911 isn't just about an emergency, it's also about dispatching a car or other emergency vehicle that can get to your location quickly. The cop down the street may be tied up with other things so they may not be able to respond to your call.

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman View Post
    From what I read recently 911 isn't just about an emergency, it's also about dispatching a car or other emergency vehicle that can get to your location quickly. The cop down the street may be tied up with other things so they may not be able to respond to your call.
    The phone number you call doesn't dictate our response. If I get a regular phone call about someone who has a guy trying to get in their house and the only LEO I have near him is taking a stolen vehicle report, I'm breaking him from that call to go to that house now. If someone calls 9-1-1 because there is someone playing loud music and the LEO is on the stolen vehicle call, the caller will have to listen to music a bit longer than he hoped.

Cheers.

id have to 2nd what soundwave said the line you call in on has little to do with how fast you get an officer. ALL the calls that get put in are given priorities. the higher the priority the faster you get an officer. if you call 911 about a car parked in your driveway you might get an officer 2 hrs later and get a ticket for abuse of 911. 911 is and was set up for EMERGENCIES. Not for hey i locked my keys in the car or stuff like that. If you are calling in on 911 for stupid stuff, and we only have so many 911 lines and call takers, someone could be dying for their house could be burning down and stuff like that. If it is not an emergency look the number up and stop being lazy!

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I guess I've kinda gave the impression when I call it's the 911 line. When I have called it has always been the non-emergency or state radio, unless it really has been an emergency.

It was just something I was pondering last night, and I am not satisfied with how I handled the situation that prompted the call last night. Which really was got me thinking about it last night.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Dakotaranger, if I read right you said that a domestic dispute was what you called about that night. I'm not sure about anyone else's jurisdictions, but domestic disputes are a 9-1-1 type call at my agency. So in my book, you definitely did the right thing by calling 9-1-1. We have four different types of domestic disputes: physical, verbal, seperated and unknown.

Seperateds are priority 3's, verbals are priority 2's, physical and unknowns are priority 1's. Priority 1 is the highest priority calls we give and justify dropping any non-priority 1 calls in favor of that call. Now as I said, I can't speak for all agencies, but here's what our priority 1 and 2 call types are... All of these are easily considered what qualifies a 9-1-1 type call.

Priority 1's: Possible fights and fights in progress, unknown and physical domestic violence, bank and armed robberies, assaults in progress, officer involved shootings, officer needs help immediately, car jackings, shootings.

Priority 2's: Possible or visually-seen prowlers, fights about to happen, verbal domestic violence, all motor vehicle accidents involving injuries or unknown injuries, all hit-and-runs, all silent/panic/holdup/fire alarms, homicides, suicide attempts and threats, possible or just-happened rapes, burglaries in progress, possible armed robberies, theft of our bait vehicles, natural deaths, all 9-1-1 hangups and open lines (including cellphones), aircraft down, drive by's, man down, rescue call, river rescue call, and shots fired (perceived as being shot at rather than just heard).

Cheers.

I have to call the Police half of the days I work, I get a 40min responce time. If its a seriouse incodent I call 911, I get a much faster responce time then.

I've only ever called 911 twice.
    First time was when I spotted a fire, it was under a bridge and no people nearby but the blaze was rather large.

The 2nd time was about 3am in the morning when I had my ex wife call 911. I'd heard someone screaming loudly for help and actually screaming that they were dying. I had her call 911 while I went out to investigate and help if I could. Boy was I pissed, it was a drunk.

Ex Member Array Ghost Who Walks's Avatar
    Hmmm ... ? When the police operator replies, 'Oh, hi Bob, what is it this time?' You know you've been calling too much!

(Go ahead and call; that's what they're there for! I never hesitate to phone in aggressive drivers or broken down vehicles. I'm sure I've helped a few people out of really tight spots. Rather than getting personally involved, I prefer to let the police handle anything out of the ordinary which might adversely affect myself or others.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links