Automated Door Unlock when placed in Park FEATURE?

This is a discussion on Automated Door Unlock when placed in Park FEATURE? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Armored SUV could not protect U.S. agents in Mexico - The Washington Post "... Forced off the road in a well-coordinated ambush, surrounded by drug ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Automated Door Unlock when placed in Park FEATURE?

Automated Door Unlock when placed in Park FEATURE?

Armored SUV could not protect U.S. agents in Mexico - The Washington Post

"... Forced off the road in a well-coordinated ambush, surrounded by drug cartel gunmen brandishing AK-47s, Zapata and his partner, Victor Avila, rolled to a stop. Zapata put the vehicle in park.

The door locks popped open. ..."

"... The Bureau of Diplomatic Security, which is responsible for outfitting the secure vehicles used by American embassies abroad, declined to comment on the status of their locking mechanisms.

But when McCaul visited Afghanistan last month and rode in an armored State Department Suburban, he said he paid close attention to what happened when the vehicle went into park.

The doors unlocked. ..."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Mine do the same by default, I can reconfigure my settings. Something I have worried about also.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

It is one of those "helpful" things that can be disabled if you know how. The thing is making sure that anyone servicing fleet vehicles knows they are supposed to do it. The problem can be when you have some people that want it and some don't. Easiest thing is to make it a fleet wide S.O.P. that the feature be disabled.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    It is one of those "helpful" things that can be disabled if you know how. The thing is making sure that anyone servicing fleet vehicles knows they are supposed to do it. The problem can be when you have some people that want it and some don't. Easiest thing is to make it a fleet wide S.O.P. that the feature be disabled.
    Most vehicles can be reconfigured on this behavior, but it may require the OEM scantool to change it, which is typically only found at the dealerships.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Interesting info. Sounds like poor planning on the part of those who design these vehicles. I wonder if they are using the same Chevy system that my Impala has. I can change the unlock feature from "Unlock when shifted to Park" to "Unlock when Key is Removed". This is an easy user-settable control. If they are using this system, it would be an easy and free fix - let's hope.
    joker1 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Easy to fix on personal vehicles. Either in the DCC or might be a dealer fix, but easy nonetheless.

Wow, that seems like a major design oversight. Makes me wonder if they did any field testing on these things before approving the contract.

To defeat it you turn the car off THEN put it in park.

Mine do the same thing, and I never liked that happening when I stopped at a drive-thru ATM.

If you can't have them reprogrammed to lock/unlock with ignition on/off, my solution for ATMs is to simply put the shifter in Neutral instead of Park. Neutral keeps doors locked, and either hold your foot on the brake or punch the emergency brake to keep from rolling.

Horrible construction on this situation. My doors do it and. Have changed it sense.

Any armored vehicle that I have seen has additional door throw bolts on the inside to prevent the jacking open of the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    To defeat it you turn the car off THEN put it in park.
    Thanks!
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Mine do the same thing, and I never liked that happening when I stopped at a drive-thru ATM.

If you can't have them reprogrammed to lock/unlock with ignition on/off, my solution for ATMs is to simply put the shifter in Neutral instead of Park. Neutral keeps doors locked, and either hold your foot on the brake or punch the emergency brake to keep from rolling.
    Manual? I always just leave mine in drive at ATMs, but I have an auto. If my car did unlock when shifted to park I would get that fixed immediately.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    years ago i passed on purchasing a car that i was fairly set on...had put time into researching it and went for a test ride. only to find that the remote door opener did
    both sides with one touch. salesman asked service and they said that was it and they could not change it. i didn't buy the car for the mrs and the next year the salesman
    calls that they made it the way i wanted....too late for me though.

manual.....its the book you pay $30,000 for that they give you a car with.

im also hate'n drive by wire, brake assist, anti-plowing , lane holder, auto park ( whats next....auto wipe?)
    and what started it all--anti lock brakes. if i wanted a car that though it new better than me id let the wife drive.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

From that article:

Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links