Call the VA crisis line -- get tried for weapons charges that could carry 40 sentence

This is a discussion on Call the VA crisis line -- get tried for weapons charges that could carry 40 sentence within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by AZJD1968 This is too bad. But an illegal weapon is an illegal weapon, no matter what his condition is. Would I be ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Call the VA crisis line -- get tried for weapons charges that could carry 40 sentence

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    This is too bad. But an illegal weapon is an illegal weapon, no matter what his condition is. Would I be facing the same charges if I was in possession of this weapon and mentally unstable?
    According to your logic, they should be charging him with attempted murder too. Also, suicide is illegal in many states, book on that too. If the authorities are going to charge people who call in for help with crimes, you might as well shut down the crisis line. It will onyl take of couple of these cases and nobody will call.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Well, at least he'll get three hots and a cot and be off the street.

Leave the zip gun, take the cannoli...

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    According to your logic, they should be charging him with attempted murder too. Also, suicide is illegal in many states, book on that too. If the authorities are going to charge people who call in for help with crimes, you might as well shut down the crisis line. It will onyl take of couple of these cases and nobody will call.
    No sir. The article didn't say that he discharged his weapon at anyone,or threatened to. Only that he possessed it, and that it was illegal.

Also, don't close the crisis line..... People should not be committing a crime when they call, if they are they are subject to the consequences, wether ther are in need of help or not.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    No sir. The article didn't say that he discharged his weapon at anyone,or threatened to. Only that he possessed it, and that it was illegal.
    It seems to me that a suicide note is a threat to kill yourself; hence attemped murder or suicide.

It seems to me that a suicide note is a threat to kill yourself; hence attemped murder or suicide.
    Is writing or possessing a suicide note a crime? I guess that depends on what it says and what he did with it. Just like the weapon he possessed.

My point is that if someone is committing a crime when they call authorities for help, they should be ready to accept the concequences.

VIP Member
    Our laws are descended from the 10 commandments, developed over thousands of years and several cultures. At the heart of the law is intended to be mercy. Where is the mercy in presecuting a man that asks for help? This smacks of zero tolerance stupidity taken to the extreme.
    DaveH and phreddy like this.

I'll argue that one till the day I die...OF OLD AGE BTW... I own my body contrary to whatever the government thinks they do or do not own. If the man chose to end his life...that's his decision. I don't like it or condone it but it certainly isn't murder.
    What burns me up though is the entire debacle of him asking for help and getting burned. He did the right thing and got burned for it anyway. He knew he needed help and asked for it. It's outrageous. What did they expect to come of this? Do they think someone that sees this and needs help is going to ask for it now? I sure wouldn't if I was in those shoes.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Thank you AG Holder <sarcasm off>

VIP Member

02/25 Update

Case against depressed vet may be delayed - Roanoke.com

Case against depressed vet may be delayed

Prosecutors may recommend that Sean Duvall go to a treatment program instead of trying him.

By Laurence Hammack
    981-3239

Sean Duvall may be getting the help he asked for all along.

SNIP

A motion filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Roanoke asks that the case against Duvall be continued for six months. His trial had been set for March 19.

Although attorneys on both sides declined to comment, one possibility for Duvall would be enrollment in the Veterans Treatment Court, a diversion program in which participants can avoid a criminal conviction through close supervision and counseling.

A referral to the program requires approval by prosecutors and the judge. If that were not to happen, the case would move forward with Duvall facing a felony conviction and up to 40 years in prison.

In their motion to continue the case, prosecutors asked that a hearing be set for 2 p.m. Monday "for the court to hear argument in support" of the request.
    Such hearings are normally not scheduled in routine continuances.

The case has stirred strong reactions among veterans groups and mental health advocates, who say it defeats the purpose of a crisis line to charge a man who reached out for help.

SNIP

Several weeks later, he was charged in state court with the misdemeanor charge of carrying a concealed weapon.

That charge was dropped as the case evolved into a federal prosecution on multiple felony charges.

SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    One article I read said that at the moment he called the crisis counselor, he was already on the Virginia Tech campus with a gun. The police didn't lure him there.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

VIP Member
    FWIIW, that is not a crime and was not at that time.

The State issue that was dropped was carrying concealed w/o a permit.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    More often than not I disagree with the Roanoke Times editorials. However sometimes they nail it.

No justice in prosecution - Roanoke.com
    I read the Roanoke Times regularly for four years. You're right, its editorial page sucks.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I just spent 6 hours at Audie Murphy VA hospital thursday going thru my annual Spinal Cord clinic assessment.One part of the assessment was with a Psychiatrist asking if I had any depression and or suicidal thoughts,I not only said no,but I explained all the friends and support systems that I have in my life.We ended the session with her getting a really good "Rice Pudding recipe" that I make,I was "ambushed"they sent in the dietician next.

^^^REMEMBER^^^^^^^^^

The old oxymoron?
    "We're from the government, we're here to help you".
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Was the weapon that he was in possession of an illegal weapon? If so, it is a crime for him to posess it, period. Get rid of the illegal weapon, then call for help or be ready for the backlash.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links