Call the VA crisis line -- get tried for weapons charges that could carry 40 sentence

Call the VA crisis line -- get tried for weapons charges that could carry 40 sentence

This is a discussion on Call the VA crisis line -- get tried for weapons charges that could carry 40 sentence within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; More often than not I disagree with the Roanoke Times editorials. However sometimes they nail it. No justice in prosecution - Roanoke.com Editorial: No justice ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Call the VA crisis line -- get tried for weapons charges that could carry 40 sentence

VIP Member

More often than not I disagree with the Roanoke Times editorials. However sometimes they nail it.

No justice in prosecution - Roanoke.com

Editorial: No justice in prosecution

Dismiss the case against a U.S. veteran who only threatened himself.

A case unfolding in federal court — one that never should have been brought to bear — threatens to rend the fragile safety net that was strung to save this nation's troubled veterans.

Sean Duvall could have been just another statistic, just one of the estimated 18 veterans dead each day by their own hand.

Instead, he did what the Department of Veteran Affairs suggests. He called the crisis line set up in 2007 to help suicidal veterans. He was desperate, depressed, homeless and wandering Blacksburg with a suicide note to his family and a home-made gun fashioned from a steel pipe and a shotgun shell.

He had hurt no one, nor did he intend harm to anyone but himself. By seeking help, Duvall unknowingly invited the full and awesome power of the U.S. attorney's office into his life. And now he is being prosecuted by the very government he once defended, the very government that said it would guide him through his troubles if only he'd call and ask for help.

Duvall's crime stems from having a crude weapon and for waiting, as instructed, on the edge of Virginia Tech's campus for help to arrive.

SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Considering the AG's prosecution of this guy, I'm reminded of the cartoon: "Your problem is obvious".

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    And some wonder why these troubled GIs don't trust the gov't to help them. Another Federal disgrace. Now all the slowly and laborously built programs to help these poor guys and gals are esentially back to ground zero.
    garyacman likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Very sad!The Government you once protected with your own life,will take yours for it's own pleasure.I train at least once a month on Fort McClellan base in Al.,a lot of the base has been returned to civilian authority,the rest is just setting there wasting away,there are literally hundreds of barracks that could be given to homeless-in need Vets,but that would'nt turn a profit for our money hungry politicians
    Eagleks and msgt/ret like this.

Very sad. What would we do if all the soldiers just "striked" one day? Or never enlisted at all? We owe these men and women a debt we can never repay, but we sure as hell better start trying!!

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Once again a dis-service to one who served. We can all help by supporting one of the many returning veteran programs, although in most cases they have to ask for help or at least accept the outstreched hand.
    oneshot likes this.

The problem is the GOV is like a malicious virus, it does what it is told from the oval office. Don't take this that I am anti, I just don't trust it.

Real good guys! Charge and lock up a Vet when he calls for help! I guess the government is too busy selling weapons to the Mexican drug lords!
    Eagleks and msgt/ret like this.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I'm sure there's a little more to the story than this, but it does reek of being close to immoral.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

I just spent 6 hours at Audie Murphy VA hospital thursday going thru my annual Spinal Cord clinic assessment.One part of the assessment was with a Psychiatrist asking if I had any depression and or suicidal thoughts,I not only said no,but I explained all the friends and support systems that I have in my life.We ended the session with her getting a really good "Rice Pudding recipe" that I make,I was "ambushed"they sent in the dietician next.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    At a hearing Tuesday, his public defender, Randy Cargill, asked U.S. District Court Judge Samuel Wilson to dismiss the weapons charges that could carry 40years in prison. Wilson did not immediately rule, saying he would do so later in writing. We hope the delay is to allow him to frame a sharply worded rebuke for prosecuting a person seeking help with a mental ailment.

Cargill calls what the government is doing to Duvall dishonorable, wrong, unfair and shocking to the conscience.
    We can only hope and pray that this Judge is a man of conscience and will dismiss this travesty.

Whoever made the decision to prosecute this man should be placed among the ranks of the unemployed...immediately!
    msgt/ret, DaveH, ctr and 1 others like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Very sad!The Government you once protected with your own life,will take yours for it's own pleasure.I train at least once a month on Fort McClellan base in Al.,a lot of the base has been returned to civilian authority,the rest is just setting there wasting away,there are literally hundreds of barracks that could be given to homeless-in need Vets,but that would'nt turn a profit for our money hungry politicians
    You are so right. There is only one problem. It makes sense, and we both know the government never makes any sense...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    This is too bad. But an illegal weapon is an illegal weapon, no matter what his condition is. Would I be facing the same charges if I was in possession of this weapon and mentally unstable?
    Last edited by AZJD1968; February 17th, 2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: More info.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    This is too bad. But an illegal weapon is an illegal weapon, no matter what his condition is. Would I be facing the same charges if I was in possession of this weapon and mentally unstable?

+1 As a 100% disabled Vet I am all for Vets rights but a zip gun ( actually if it was a pipe and a shell it would be a 3/4 lead pipe, 3X3 piece of wood with a nail through the center, and a heavy rubber band) is illegal everywhere.
    AZJD1968 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    Ok, lets take the word "vet" out. It should apply to anyone seeking help. The man could have got rid of the weapon. Instead he was crying for help. IMO there is a difference between that and if the cops stumbled upon it. Everybody should be treated the same. It just made news becasue he is a vet.
    AZJD1968 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links