Fort Bliss soldiers deploy to border

This is a discussion on Fort Bliss soldiers deploy to border within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Soldiers on this mission are allowed one 30 round magazine for self defense but the ROE pretty much ties their hands....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Fort Bliss soldiers deploy to border

Soldiers on this mission are allowed one 30 round magazine for self defense but the ROE pretty much ties their hands.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    Soldiers on this mission are allowed one 30 round magazine for self defense but the ROE pretty much ties their hands.
    Like I said... bring a squirt gun. That just pisses me off. Not that you NEED more than 30rnds... but I wouldn't mind having it. The #1 thing you want as soon as steel starts flying... more ammo. Could be 2 tangos with handguns, you with an M4, you are still going to want more than one freakin mag. And its not so much for illegal border crossers... but for the drug gangs that are ever-so-prevalent along the border, who are known to carry full auto ARs to protect themselves and their product. Good luck to my fellow soldiers headed down there. Makes me wonder if they will take the buildup of troops as a hostile act...

OpJ

I'm glad it's not me going!
    Last edited by SpencerB; February 17th, 2012 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    This is actually my unit that is doing this, I am glad that I didn't have to go because of Sniper School!
    You better tab out!

Already passed range estimation, stalking, and target detection!
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Until they stop the birther law,and impose stiff penalties like prison work gangs for people illegally crossing they will keep trying.After watching "Border Wars" our Border enforcement is a joke,people caught trying to cross numerous times laugh and say they will keep trying since all they do is send them back across the border.Until they change their flawed policies including stiff penalties for ID theft and fraudent use of somebody elses SSN number we will continue to waste the money and services we spend on Border Patrol

^^^^^^^^^^^AGREED!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    I agree with the move ,,,, as long as they allow them to
    carry HOT and ready to defend themselves without some
    of the stupid rules they have had in the past.

^^^^^ULTIMATELY^^^^^^^^

I am in this camp on this one.

Something has to be done, even if its not the "Best " idea, its something of a "shot across the bow" to the infidels and border breechers
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Wrong. They are soldiers. If you want them there then give them badges and have them play border patrol using the ROE that they use and LE use. They are there to prevent illegal activity. That is not a soldiers job. PERIOD. If the solution is we need more on the border, reduce the military by 20000 and rehire them in a proper capacity. This is a bandaid fix to a arterial bleed. Just plain wrong in my book.
    bigmacque likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't care who they send as long as someone gets a handle on it. Why bicker over who does it?
    21bubba and AZJD1968 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't care who they send as long as someone gets a handle on it. Why bicker over who does it?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Because it is not why we have a military. They are not there for law enforcement roles. When I joined it wasn't for LE. If so I would have been a cop. We should care. That is why there are federal laws dictating who is responsible for what. If you don;t care who does what, do you want to throw out EO 12333 which deals with intelligence activities also. I don't care,,pleez.
    bigmacque likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I believe it's easy to be a critic from hundreds of miles away. Ask the people ON the border what they think...

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I believe it's easy to be a critic from hundreds of miles away. Ask the people ON the border what they think...
    It is not being a critic. It is stating what our armed forces are for. And quite frankly it doesn't matter what anybody wants if it is wrong. The point is there is a problem and it needs to be solved the correct way. If they need more people which I am pretty darn sure is what is needed, get more border agents. Let soldiers train for what they are trained for. Being "100's of miles away" is a lame remark which makes no sense whatsoever.
    bigmacque likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    It is not being a critic. It is stating what our armed forces are for. And quite frankly it doesn't matter what anybody wants if it is wrong. The point is there is a problem and it needs to be solved the correct way. If they need more people which I am pretty darn sure is what is needed, get more border agents. Let soldiers train for what they are trained for. Being "100's of miles away" is a lame remark which makes no sense whatsoever.
    Must've been a pretty good "lame" remark, since you seem to believe it was solely directed at you. I'm pretty darn sure that there are people that are there that have a much better understanding of what needs to be done then you do.

Its an election year. Someone has to look like there doing something.....Right, wrong, left, right, blue, green.......Its a show..
    Inspector71 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    The deployment of our military within our borders to enforce civil law is controversial
    This is not a civic law issue. It's an invasion. Using the military to REPEL THE INVADERS, doesn't bother me in the least. Just give them the tools to GET THE JOB DONE.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Its all political. When I was in El Paso we had military spotters. They were unarmed and we had to guard them, they were operating in an urban environment and had no clue what they were doing and would not listen to us telling them what we needed them to report.

For example; Bowie High School is 2 fences and a 4 lane highway from the Rio Grande. Adjacent to Bowie HS is the Chamizal memorial park, adjacent to that is the Bridge of the Americas connecting Mexico and the US. Legit foot traffic was called out as non-legit traffic constantly. Think about this, during school hours there are THOUSANDS of pedestrians. We finally started asking them " Did you see them cross the river?" to which the normal reply was " Negative". My reply was always the same " Then do not call them out". The result was a lawsuit that the GOV lost.

They tied up our radios tremendously, having no idea as to our protocols and procedures. We were given no operational control as to where they would be assigned to help us the most or what they should be looking for.

Done properly it can be a great asset, however, there are too many egos involved.
    bigmacque likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links