OH School Shooting: Question for LEO's

This is a discussion on OH School Shooting: Question for LEO's within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was watching the reporting on the OH shooting. Reporter was talking to an "expert" about the different agencies that repsonded and asked if that was ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: OH School Shooting: Question for LEO's

OH School Shooting: Question for LEO's

Was watching the reporting on the OH shooting. Reporter was talking to an "expert" about the different agencies that repsonded and asked if that was a good thing. The expert replied it was. He used the example that after they got one shooter (at this time they were not sure if there were more) the ATF could trace his weapon faster than other agencies and from there determine if there were other weapons. First, is that true or could the local LEO's or FBI or OBI do the same thing. Second, would you not go under the assumption they are armed to the teeth regardless of the info they got back. Weapons could come from multiple sources. I don't know, not LEO. But if I had to go after BG's in a house and intel told me they had AK's and no suicide vests, I would not plan soley on that intel.

Last, does all those agencies get into each others way? Inter agencey rivalries? Military is different but I can tell you that when different agencies get involved in a situation (FBI, OGA's, Military, Embassy staff) things get mucked up.
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Probably just reporters getting too ramped up. There's been a lot of that, this morning.

Private sales are completely legal in Ohio (there are restrictions on age, of-course, but if the minor had access to his parents'/guardians' firearms, it's just as possible that firearms were purchased by those parties on a private basis). I don't see how they would be able to make any kind of determination of "other weapons," based on any kind of "traces."

VIP Member
    In situations such as this, it seems as though those who interject themselves into the situation, reporters, experts, Monday morning quarterbacks, etc. must somehow make themselves relevant to the event. They often do so by asking clever questions and proffering obscure information under the guise of expertise.
    atctimmy likes this.

^ Exactly.

This thing happened very close to home. The various media feeds are going absolutely nuts, and many in our local community have already commented on how quite a bit of what's been said by the media just isn't making any sense. There's also simply quite a bit of speculation, at this time, on everyone's part, with regard to this incident (look at the Twitter claims).

Especially when things are transmitted in real-time and there's no taking back what's been said, there's all kinds of misinformation that's just floating out there.

Thats what I thought. Is the inter agency a help or hinderance during a crisis like this?

^ Can't help you there. I'm just an average Mall-Ninja.

It all depends on the specific jurisdiction. In Maryland the state police have a data base of all handguns sold in the state by licensed dealers andsince sometime in the mid Clinton era all "restricted" rifles and handguns legally sold in the state. There were a couple of times when that information came in handy.
    As far as a trace, the feds can get stuff done a lot faster in that they don't have to figure who to contact to go to a shop to look at paperwork. They have manufacturers and importers on speed dial. They can have what distributor it was shipped to in minutes. The distributor can then tell them the retailer. Then they can have someone from the local field office stop in and look at 4473s.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Was watching the reporting..."

And that's about the point where the facts usually go wrong.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links