"Tasered" twice = cardiac arrest? - Page 2

"Tasered" twice = cardiac arrest?

This is a discussion on "Tasered" twice = cardiac arrest? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any pictures of when he was 14 to inflame the issue....sorry couldn't resist....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: "Tasered" twice = cardiac arrest?

Any pictures of when he was 14 to inflame the issue....sorry couldn't resist.

Administrator
    See quote below...I'm just not seeing a problem here with him being tazed twice?

Kelly says after the first deputy fired his stun gun, Dillard charged the deputy and punched him in the eye.

The second deputy fired his Taser and subdued Dillard
    64zebra likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The biggest problem with a taser is that we never hear about all the times they are used to subdue a person without causing injury. (other than the small puncture wounds)
    Pepper spray and batons aren't as effective as many believe they are. Going "hands on" increases the risk for both the officers and the suspect.

There was a young man a few years ago that received a total of 7 different shocks from the taser and a few "dry" shocks, along with all sorts of pressure points and muscular impacts during transport. To say this young man was a fighter would have been an understatement. Turns out he was a good, hard working man that had been given a drug cocktail by his ex-GF. Personally I believe the tasers help save his life that night.
    64zebra likes this.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

If you shoot them a third time the body is vaporized.

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Tasers are over used. All to often when they are not needed they are used. They have their place but like any other use of force, it should only be used when totally necessary.
    Yea, you are right, they should of shot the guy instead.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Tasers are over used. All to often when they are not needed they are used. They have their place but like any other use of force, it should only be used when totally necessary

Justherenow. Not trying to start anything but what would be your criteria for the use of a taser? When I was the Chief of my department I purchased a taser for every officer on the street and two for the jail. The guidlines were simple. "Sir or Madam, you are under arrest" "Screw you I am not going" they were given one warning if they did not comply they were tased and taken into custody.

From juveniles, 6'1" 240 type juveniles, to aggressive drunks, to females there was no discrimination. The taser worked everytime the way it was supposed to and there were no late night trips to the ER for my officers or the suspects. Each time a Use of Force report was completed, the empty cartridge and ID tags with the cartridge SN were collected and put into evidence. I never had a complaint for excessive force when the taser was used.

As has been stated you never hear about the lives they save when the only other option is a firearm. I have been tased as a student and an instructor dozens of times. Yep it hurts like hell you have no desire to do anything at that moment but when the cycle is done you have no effects.

It is simply another tool but a very important one.
    64zebra and Bark'n like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    tacman, I was gonna reply something similar, but you about covered it all
    part of the issue with all the tasings on tv, youtube, and other incidents is that there are a LOT of tasers issued now compared to 5 or 10 years ago
    they are used in circumstances where the other choice is physical force, ie: LEO or suspect will get injured, causing more openings for lawsuits, taxpayer costs for injured officers/suspects

I've deployed my taser 6 times now, all justified, all effective, saved me and suspects from injury, one time saved suicidal guy's life....after a 30 second cycle while swiping knife around at officers...still had one hand/arm able to swipe that knife around with most of the rest of his body locked up, our only other choice would have been to shoot him
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Tasers are over used. All to often when they are not needed they are used. They have their place but like any other use of force, it should only be used when totally necessary.
    This is a blanket statement; can you tell us what method we should use when a large (or strong) belligerent person will not do as told by a person in authority?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This is a blanket statement; can you tell us what method we should use when a large (or strong) belligerent person will not do as told by a person in authority?
    So a taser should be used when a person doesn't do as they are told? Every time huh?

How about - a taser should be deployed when a suspect is fleeing from or aggressing towards an officer or when an individual poses a physical threat to an officer, him/herself or anyone else in the immediate area.

Using a taser on an non combative, non aggressive individual for simply "not complying" IS illegal and constitutes excessive force.

VIP Member
    Idontcare. First welcome to the forum.

A taser should not be used when telling someone to move their car from a fire zone and they complain about it, that is not what Yoda was saying or implying. When an LE gives an order to cease and desist whatever activity you are doing and the person becomes aggressive, threatens harm or any other number of things yes deply the taser as intended and end it right there.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    yes idontcare, welcome to the forum
    if the situation is to the point that the officer needs to put their hands on a person, ie: physical force, then the taser is appropriate, its the same level of force as OC or having to knock someone on their butt, but deploying a taser is more beneficial for the suspect and officer as it prevents injury
    other situations such as armed with a knife/club, or other improvised item then a taser can be used instead of using deadly force IF feasible
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by IDontCare View Post
    So a taser should be used when a person doesn't do as they are told? Every time huh?

How about - a taser should be deployed when a suspect is fleeing from or aggressing towards an officer or when an individual poses a physical threat to an officer, him/herself or anyone else in the immediate area.

Using a taser on an non combative, non aggressive individual for simply "not complying" IS illegal and constitutes excessive force.
    Yep..
    Use of force continum...
    Presence
    Verbal commands
    Hands on
    Deadly force

Going hands on with someone is where people get hurt.....
    "Stop what you are doing"
    "No! "
    "Stop what you are doing or you will be Tazed / sprayed "
    "No".... They get Tazed..... Or they can just beat them to submission with wooden batons or collapsible metal pipes.... Yea tazers are the worse choice

Senior Moderator
    It amazes me still when people say, "they shouldnt have been tased", or" tasers are overused" without knowing any of the facts involved.

Reading a news story is not about reading facts. Its about reading the opinion of the news reporter, that more often than not is totally ignorant of the situation.

Before the use of Tasers, the standard go to use of force was the ASP. Using that resulted more often than not in broken bones, smashed noses, missing teeth, busted lips, large open cuts, massive bruising and taking people to the ET was a much more common affair than it is now. It was messy and it could take weeks, months or even years to recover from being ASPed. In a knock down drag out fight, it was common for both offenders and officers to get hurt.

One thing about being tased...yeah, it sucks but when its over...its over. No more pain, no more instant lock up of the body. How the taser is used is totally dependant on the person being tased. Keep fighting...keep getting tased.
    Stop what you are doing, and start complying with instruction...you wont get tased.

Its simple really. Perhaps its so simple that some people cant grasp it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I
    Stop what you are doing, and start complying with instruction...you wont get tased.

Its simple really. Perhaps its so simple that some people cant grasp it.
    + 1... Amen..
    I dunno why people can't understand that pain compliance dosent work on someone who is high, crazy, or otherwise impervious to pain due to some reason... You have to incapacitate them to stop the fight / aggression / unwanted behavior....
    64zebra likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links