SECDEF visits the battle zone, US soldiers DISARMED to be in his presence.... - Page 2

SECDEF visits the battle zone, US soldiers DISARMED to be in his presence....

This is a discussion on SECDEF visits the battle zone, US soldiers DISARMED to be in his presence.... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This. +1...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: SECDEF visits the battle zone, US soldiers DISARMED to be in his presence....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This. +1
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

It's not just this administration.

When I was still a cadet, we had the President pay us a visit. All of our rifles were inspected prior to the parade, to make sure none had a firing pin.

Hopyard likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

When I first read the headline on Drudge I couldn't believe it. This is a profound insult and g d those responsible for this. They betrayed the ethos.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

"the base commander didn't want the Marines to be treated differently
    than their Afghan counterparts" ,,,,, shame on the base commander,,,, but
    the Marines are AMERICAN and therefore SHOULD BE TREATED DIFFERENTLY.

Excuse me ,,,,, but you know it is SO. More the political correction CRAP.

If I was given the choose between listening to Mr. Panetta,,,,, or keeping my weapon
    I would never heard him PERIOD.
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    "the base commander didn't want the Marines to be treated differently
    than their Afghan counterparts" ,,,,, shame on the base commander,,,, but
    the Marines are AMERICAN and therefore SHOULD BE TREATED DIFFERENTLY.

Excuse me ,,,,, but you know it is SO. More the political correction CRAP.

If I was given the choose between listening to Mr. Panetta,,,,, or keeping my weapon
    I would never heard him PERIOD
    I think one of the principles of the board owners and moderators is to not promote in any fashion any illegal
    act. I think you just said you would disobey. Can you say UCMJ-Court Martial etc.?

I know people just say stuff they truly don't mean without really thinking it through when
    they post on open forums. So we can I suppose take that with a grain of salt.

Meanwhile, remember, there is one chain of command, and it is headed by the lawful civilian
    authorities. Presently, that chain starts with President Obama and Secretary of Defense Panetta.
    Maybe that will change in Nov. and maybe it won't. Either way, if you are active duty your loyalty must be
    to your chain of command; especially per the enlisted person's oath.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Pathetic.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Neither President or SecDef had anything to do with this. The Area Commander, a Marine General, made the call on this. I spent 30 years on active duty in the USMC and we were never armed for meetings with any VIPs. 6 years of my time was in RVN and we were not allowed to be armed even at USO shows. There was always a perimeter security element and it was big enough to stop any outside attacks. I am sure the same SOP prevailed here. Making a civilian issue out of a military situation is ridiculous anyways. I never felt anybody was insulting me when I turned my m-16 in to go to a U.S. show. I was trained to expect security measures. "Much ado about nothing."
    AZJD1968, Sig 210 and Hopyard like this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think one of the principles of the board owners and moderators is to not promote in any fashion any illegal
    act. I think you just said you would disobey. Can you say UCMJ-Court Martial etc.?

I know people just say stuff they truly don't mean without really thinking it through when
    they post on open forums. So we can I suppose take that with a grain of salt.

Meanwhile, remember, there is one chain of command, and it is headed by the lawful civilian
    authorities. Presently, that chain starts with President Obama and Secretary of Defense Panetta.
    Maybe that will change in Nov. and maybe it won't. Either way, if you are active duty your loyalty must be
    Hopy I don't know where you are coming from on this one. Excusing the typo the man said "If I was given the choice". To me that statement implies that he was not (hypothetically) ordered to both be there and be disarmed.

I recall my time in the service and very rarely was I "given the choice".
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I think everyone has completely missed the point and jumping to some pretty outlandish conclusions.

This was a no-brainer tactical move that left the military command with no other choice but to disarm every soldier in attendance.

All soldiers are trained to shoot the enemy on sight - are there still any questions?
    atctimmy, Crowbait and kerberos like this.

Two millenia ago we would have observed that our young emperor has lost the trust and loyalty of the legions.
    atctimmy and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    O
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

remember, there is one chain of command, and it is headed by the lawful civilian
    I agree.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    This type of action has occured in the past and will continue.

When Anwar Sadat, President of Egypt, was assinated by his own troops shortly after we had the current US President pay us a visit at Lejuene. We were issued rifles for pass and review with no bolts in them. It was a slap in the face to me then as this is now.

Yes the Marine General in charge made the decision with I am sure guidance from above. I also understand an Afghan was found on the tarmac at another camp with a firebomb waiting for the SECDEF's aircraft to land.

But such is todays world.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

SecDef has all soldiers disarmed...Mmmmmm.
    I wonder when BHO will have his Secret Service disarmed? Can never be too careful, don't ya' know!;banghead:
    paramedic70002 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This has happened before and will happen again. That is true, still boils down to trusting your soldiers. If a commander does not trust his ( her) soldiers, what does that say about that chain of command and it's leadership? Something to ponder. As an 82nd soldier we stoop on a parade field with m-16 ( include all functioning pieces) with exposed bayonette while dignitaries were present. That being the whole division.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    If the SecDef initiated this, shameful. Can't trust armed troops in a combat zone or no testicular fortitude to brave it out, stay home.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links