SECDEF visits the battle zone, US soldiers DISARMED to be in his presence....

This is a discussion on SECDEF visits the battle zone, US soldiers DISARMED to be in his presence.... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/wo...e.html?_r=1&hp Here is the pertinent paragraph from the middle: In a sign of the nervousness surrounding the visit, Marines and other troops among the 200 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: SECDEF visits the battle zone, US soldiers DISARMED to be in his presence....

Angry SECDEF visits the battle zone, US soldiers DISARMED to be in his presence....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/wo...e.html?_r=1&hp

Here is the pertinent paragraph from the middle:

In a sign of the nervousness surrounding the visit, Marines and other troops among the 200 people gathered in a tent at Camp Leatherneck to hear Mr. Panetta speak were abruptly asked by their commander to get up, place their weapons — M-16 and M-4 automatic rifles and 9-mm pistols — outside the tent and then return unarmed. The commander, Sgt. Maj. Brandon Hall, told reporters he was acting on orders from superiors.

“All I know is, I was told to get the weapons out,” he said. Asked why, he replied, “Somebody got itchy, that’s all I’ve got to say. Somebody got itchy; we just adjust.”

Normally, American forces in Afghanistan keep their weapons with them when the defense secretary visits and speaks to them. The Afghans in the tent were not armed to begin with, as is typical.

ExSoldier's Note: Of course this is typical of the liberal mindset. Take the guns away and there will be NO violence. If one of those patriots wanted to kill the SECDEF all they'd have to do is NOT obey or use a grenade or anything. Armed soldiers of course are the only defense to any sort of enemy attack against the person of the SECDEF. They're already combat attuned and probably faster to react to such an attack than the assigned security detail. What a bunch of maroons! I have exactly ZERO respect for the idiots in charge. It's time for the adults to step up. It's time: Stand up and be counted or line up and be numbered!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

I cannot argue with your logic.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

You've got to be fricken' kiddin' me! That is nothing short of outrageous.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any soldier, past or present should have issues with that. I dont want anyobe disarming me, at home, certainly not over there.thats CRAZY!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/wo...e.html?_r=1&hp

I have exactly ZERO respect for the idiots in charge. It's time for the adults to step up. It's time: Stand up and be counted or line up and be numbered!
    yep

Buzz64, I just noticed: WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I just heard about this on TV. They said that the base commander didn't want the Marines to be treated differently than their Afghan counterparts, which are routinely disarmed. That pisses me off, they are different. How many Marines or Soldiers have been killed by their Afghan counterparts. Anyone who has worked with either the ANA or ANP don't trust them. To put US Marines in that same category is offensive.
    mano3, msgt/ret, Olduser and 1 others like this.
    USMC Sergeant
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Utah BCI Certified Instructor
    Utah Self Defense Instruction- Utah CCW, Discount NRA memberships/renewals
    Gun Blog,CCW News and Reviews

That is completely outrageous!!

American soldiers ARE different and should be treated different. We are the best trained military in the world.

It was wrong to do but depending what just happened I wouldn't be surprised if the orders came from a military commander. Do you not think that some Officer out there was thinking "this would really hurt my carreer if a soldier goes nuts and kills the Sec Def"". I do not support that line of thought but have known officers tha would issue such an order. Or could have come from the Secret Service. But I do not think it is a liberal decision.
    Hopyard and atctimmy like this.

Excuse me for a moment while I allow my " American pride" show. I have servrs this country for many years and we did not get to where we are by standing down. What kind of message does it send our troops that our leadership hos that kind of trust in them? What happened was a 1 man screw up, I have enough faith in our troops that if one person started to screw up the rest would put him in his place before he could do anything.
    We were trained to work as a group, not individually, I reinforce that every time we train. We are depending on these men and women to protect our country, we should trust them to protect everyone equally.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Utter BS.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Thanks for the welcome ExSoldier

*sarcasm* Allow me to wipe the shocked look off my face *sarcasm*

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

This Administration does NOT trust it's own troops let alone it's own citizens.... that tells you a lot about the character of the men and women in charge.
    Crowbait, sigs and Inspector71 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links