Video Released of LEO being shot...

This is a discussion on Video Released of LEO being shot... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would like to know where the rounds landed, and yes I am glad he is recovering well from his wounds....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Video Released of LEO being shot...

I would like to know where the rounds landed, and yes I am glad he is recovering well from his wounds.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Scott. The video is edited so I dont know all that went on but...

After the initial contact with the female driver the officer goes into a complete comfort zone and places his hand on top of the car in what I always referred to as the "Hey baby, how you doin" stance. He is lucky the shooter did not fire then.
    His position on the drivers side of the vehicle is well past the door frame which is the edge of the cliff on a traffic stop. You can conduct all business from there and it forces the driver into an ackward position and you have the tactical advantage.

Once he goes to the passenger side of the vehicle he is carrying his flashlight in his weapon hand. You do not have anything in your weapon hand ever it is for your weapon nothing else. He is in the middle of transferring it under his arm when he is shot. Again his position in relation to the shooter he again goes into the no mans land past the door frame and leans in to talk to the suspect. Put them in the ackward position, make them turn to talk to you, do not stick your head in the window.

I am so glad the officer survived and has returned to duty however he became comfortable with the traffic stop and made tactical errors which alowed the shooter to engage. I can assure you that if he had other stops recorded you would see him doing the same actions over time.
    jerp, scott625, Skygod and 2 others like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Scott. The video is edited so I dont know all that went on but...

After the initial contact with the female driver the officer goes into a complete comfort zone and places his hand on top of the car in what I always referred to as the "Hey baby, how you doin" stance. He is lucky the shooter did not fire then.
    His position on the drivers side of the vehicle is well past the door frame which is the edge of the cliff on a traffic stop. You can conduct all business from there and it forces the driver into an ackward position and you have the tactical advantage.

Once he goes to the passenger side of the vehicle he is carrying his flashlight in his weapon hand. You do not have anything in your weapon hand ever it is for your weapon nothing else. He is in the middle of transferring it under his arm when he is shot. Again his position in relation to the shooter he again goes into the no mans land past the door frame and leans in to talk to the suspect. Put them in the ackward position, make them turn to talk to you, do not stick your head in the window.

I am so glad the officer survived and has returned to duty however he became comfortable with the traffic stop and made tactical errors which alowed the shooter to engage. I can assure you that if he had other stops recorded you would see him doing the same actions over time.
    I agree with you there, i work security ( never was a cop, never had training i have no experience, these are the opinions of my coworkers all 15+ years "walking the beat" and such) and 80% of my coworkers were cops and i shared the video with them. As bad as it is they all say "its his own d*** fault!" His second approach, walking to passenger side, he wasnt even looking in the car as he walked around. They like you stated flashlight in weapon hand. He got complacent. One of them also stated like you, that he went from professional stance, to "hey baby" mode. And the officer said that the bf, might have caught that and upset him to shoot the cop, "icing on the cake" to say.

Im glad he is alive, and maybe learned from his mistakes. They should make this a "how not to" video for the academies. But i side with my co-workers, its his own fault, he could've prevented getting shot if he went "by the book". Would have given a defensive position, and reaction time would have increased.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

I thought I missed his return fire and was surprised that he waited so long. I hope there are updates on this guy and would love to see some bullet holes in the Cadillac. If these shots were made by a CCW holder they would have probably been considered negligent or reckless.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Thanks, that was great.

This is a great training aid as others have stated. Especially since the LEO is alive. I would surmise the LEO had his reasons for shooting a car as it departed so I cannot question his reasoning at the time. I am sure he was mindful of what he was doing.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Lots of good points made here to learn from.

Let's not forget that the officer was shot three times with the vest stopping two rounds and his abdomen stopping one.

He's wounded and perhaps not thinking about anything but putting payback on the shooter.

I really do not know how I would have reacted after being shot. I hope proper training would have kicked in.

Glad the officer survived. Glad the POS was caught.

Regards,

FlaRon
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Perhaps it is possible he was trying to mark the car for identification later. I used to manage a body shop and we would get calls or have officers stop by and give us descriptions of a vehicle, and ask us to call if one showed up for repairs. JMO
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Springfield XD9sc
    S&W 4516
    Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links