LEO stuck in bad weather

This is a discussion on LEO stuck in bad weather within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello every one, This question is for all the LEOs we have here, a few years ago my wife and I was driving down the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: LEO stuck in bad weather

LEO stuck in bad weather

Hello every one,

This question is for all the LEOs we have here, a few years ago my wife and I was driving down the canyon. It was snowing probably 3-4" of snow on the road, we passed a pull-off and there was a LEO stuck (trying to back up and go forward and the tires would just spin) I wanted to pull over and help pull him out. My wife said not to, he has a phone and radio if he need help. What are your thoughts and feeling on this?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I probably would have stopped.
    FTG-05 and oneshot like this.

I would stop and help assuming I wasn't on a tight schedule for something important. I used to drive a Jeep Cherokee with 33s and 5" of lift with a winch and enough equipment to recover anything that could get stuck in the woods minus log trucks and skidders. Now that I drive a Dodge Ram I don't have the same stuff but one of these days if I remember I'll pick up some recovery equipment for these winter occasions.

That same thing happened to me this winter. The Forestry guy got stuck about 1/4 mile from my land. He was moving his pick up to get his snowmobile out. I knew the man and didn't like him. Always messing with folks about fishing regulations or in the winter snowmobiling issues. Anyway. It is winter and the snow is coming down and he is a human being. So of course I pulled him out. Just the right thing to do.

VIP Member
    Just do the right thing. A clear conscience makes a soft pillow.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I would help. In the winter, I typically have my truck ballasted and a length of recovery rope, so It wouldn't be too much of a hassle to drag the guy out.

Both times I've broken down, a PA State Trooper has always stopped to check in. Yes, it is their job, and is pretty much expected of them, but returning the favor would make me feel better at the end of the day.

VIP Member
    I would have helped; a bit of courtesy just makes the day better.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The police don't stop to ask whether I need help... I'd probably agree with your wife. He's got a radio if he needs help.

I would probably help because maybe you'll get a get out of jail free card!
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I would've, and have stopped. But i'll do it for anyone LEO or not, if nothing else to offer them a phone call.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

The question is as a LEO and you where stuck would you want some one to come help? Or would you be scared "they" might try to hurt you?

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I can't imagine not stopping. Were you in such a hurry that you couldn't take time to at least check it out? Maybe help was already on the way but then again maybe he was out of radio or phone range. Maybe you could have given him a lift to a place where he could get things handled. What ever happened to the Golden Rule? Hopefully no one was seriously in need of his help while you left him stranded!

I have in the past and will do so in the future. We pay it forward when we drive no matter who it is; it is an unwritten law of the road
    Chevyguy85 and Sky Pilot like this.

Senior Moderator
    The police don't stop to ask whether I need help... I'd probably agree with your wife. He's got a radio if he needs help.
    I stop for every stranded vehicle I see when I am on patrol. Depending on the location, I may even have the lights flashing to alert on coming traffic. I dont leave until the situation is resolved.

My rule is a simple one, treat everyone as you would like to be treated. Eventually, what goes around,comes around.

As far as I know,pretty much everyone in my dept. does the same.
    It may be the reason that there are always cookies,cakes,chocolates and all other sorts of sugary treats in the office all the time.

The question is as a LEO and you where stuck would you want some one to come help? Or would you be scared "they" might try to hurt you?
    I have been stranded. NO,I wasnt scared that someone would try to hurt me. If I was that scared, I wouldnt be wearing a uniform.
    QKShooter, ctr, 64zebra and 6 others like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I stop for every stranded vehicle I see when I am on patrol. Depending on the location, I may even have the lights flashing to alert on coming traffic. I dont leave until the situation is resolved.

My rule is a simple one, treat everyone as you would like to be treated. Eventually, what goes around,comes around.
    What you put in bold, if practiced, would solve about 100% of the world's problems.

Thanks for reminding folks.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links