DHS orders 450 million rounds - Page 3

DHS orders 450 million rounds

This is a discussion on DHS orders 450 million rounds within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; nothing to see here, I just had a buddy use his connections to order me some ammo for my new Glock 23, didn't want to ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: DHS orders 450 million rounds

VIP Member
    nothing to see here, I just had a buddy use his connections to order me some ammo for my new Glock 23, didn't want to tell anyone but oh well, now its in the news......

LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Sounds to me like they doing some stocking up.
    That is a lot of rounds in reserve even for them. Of course maybe they are buying so much looking for a discount.

Okay so I did some serious Googling and this is what I found.

This is the article about the purchase that came out on 3/14 Government Security News Mag It states "This contract features a base of 12 months, includes four option years, and will have a maximum volume of 450 million rounds, it said." so that's not too unbelievable.

I also found that DHS purchased 200 mil .40 cal rounds back in 2009, Dec., I think, so again, it's not that outrageous so I can sleep good again tonight ... with my gun under my pillow.

If it's target ammo why on earth would you waste the money on hollow points?
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware

Administrator
    Because....It's OUR Money...so why should they worry about wasting it? When has Govt. ever worried about wasting our money?
    The U.S. Govt throws away 10,000 perfectly good computers every single week. <~~~TRUE
    Because...if they don't spend all of their budget...it might get cut the following year.
    Quote Originally Posted by docdozer View Post
    Katana likes this.

Relax it is only money and free money at that.
    Everything is free now.

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    I wonder why the huge demand from DHS?
    Sounds a bit "high" to me. That's 246,575.34 rounds per day, 7 days a week for 5 years
    That would sure eat up a lot of brass.

On the other hand, the decreased retail availability for hollow points does drive up demand, and hence price for such ammunition. Whether the consequence is an intended one, remains to be seen.

So is this a calculated move by the government to curb ammunition availability to civilians or is it simply another way for it to spend money? Weigh in with your thoughts below.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I *assume* ICE, like my employer, doesn't use target ammo. They only use service ammo here, whether on duty or at the range. I would only use my carry ammo at the range too if I wasn't the one paying for it...

Also, don't get too wrapped up on the 450M number. It's not uncommon with multi-year govt. contracts to write a ceiling value much higher than anyone can imagine needing. The relevant number will be what they actually purchase each year.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Because....It's OUR Money...so why should they worry about wasting it? When has Govt. ever worried about wasting our money?
    The U.S. Govt throws away 10,000 perfectly good computers every single week. <~~~TRUE
    Because...if they don't spend all of their budget...it might get cut the following year.
    Yep.

they put us in wars we don't agree with, spend money on toilets that are overpriced, throw away perfectly good computers and other things. It's crazy.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmruger View Post
    I am sure this is what they go through in a year! THink about it they have like 237K employees, if even 1/3 of those carry a gun that is a lot of ammo every year!

DHS report

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/m...mance-plan.pdf

My information obtain from a BP agent is that they get about 6000 rds a year ( 1500 a quarter) for practice

Really glad I put my .40 away awhile ago. Hopefully the actual quantity is substantially lower.

Quote Originally Posted by alexr View Post
    I *assume* ICE, like my employer, doesn't use target ammo. They only use service ammo here, whether on duty or at the range. I would only use my carry ammo at the range too if I wasn't the one paying for it...

Also, don't get too wrapped up on the 450M number. It's not uncommon with multi-year govt. contracts to write a ceiling value much higher than anyone can imagine needing. The relevant number will be what they actually purchase each year.
    I agree with Alexr .. This is the article about the purchase that came out on 3/14/2012 Government Security News Mag It states "This contract features a base of 12 months, includes four option years, and will have a maximum volume of 450 million rounds, it said."

I also found this on Winchester’s site: 8/2009 Winchester Awarded Department of Homeland Security Contract “Winchester® Ammunition was recently awarded a contract by the Immigration, Customs and Enforcement (ICE) division of the Department of Homeland Security to supply a maximum of 200 million, 40 cal. rounds over the next five years.”

These are just some of the agencies that now fall under DHS that may carry guns.

The U.S. Customs Service (Treasury)
    The Immigration and Naturalization Service (Justice)
    The Federal Protective Service
    The Transportation Security Administration (Transportation)
    Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (Treasury)
    National Infrastructure Protection Center (FBI)
    U.S. Coast Guard
    U.S. Secret Service

so, I wouldn't be too alarmed at the article ... it's in the normal range. However, if you are in any way concerned about the current attacks on the 2nd ammendment and if the current administration remains in power after the next election, you better hang on to your holsters because it's going to be a bumpy ride and your holsters may be all you have left. Not being paranoid here .. just saying ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links