New 2012 Executive Order signed by president

This is a discussion on New 2012 Executive Order signed by president within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Even I was unaware of this until a friend told me about it yesterday. Very scary and many folks probably are unaware it happened just ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sig 210

Thread: New 2012 Executive Order signed by president

Even I was unaware of this until a friend told me about it yesterday. Very scary and many folks probably are unaware it happened just like I was. Hopefully our nation will sensibly elect a new president and ask them to rescind the order. 'Domestic security' now comes before the constitution and your rights. You and I as American citizens are no longer secure in our own country. Read on and it will all become clear to you.

Jim Garrison: Martial Law by Executive Order

President Obama's National Defense Resources Preparedness Executive Order of March 16 does to the country as a whole what the 2012 National Defense Authorization Act did to the Constitution in particular -- completely eviscerates any due process or judicial oversight for any action by the Government deemed in the interest of "national security." Like the NDAA, the new Executive Order puts the government completely above the law, which, in a democracy, is never supposed to happen. The United States is essentially now under martial law without the exigencies of a national emergency.

Even as the 2012 NDAA was rooted in the Patriot Act and the various executive orders and Congressional bills that ensued to broaden executive power in the "war on terror," so the new Executive Order is rooted in the Defense Production Act of 1950 which gave the Government powers to mobilize national resources in the event of national emergencies, except now virtually every aspect of American life falls under ultimate unchallengeable government control, to be exercised by the president and his secretaries at their discretion.

The 2012 NDAA deemed the United States a "battlefield," as Senator Lindsey Graham put it, and gave the president and his agents the right to seize and arrest any U.S. citizen, detain them indefinitely without charge or trial, and do so only on suspicion, without any judicial oversight or due process. The new Executive Order states that the president and his secretaries have the authority to commandeer all U.S. domestic resources, including food and water, as well as seize all energy and transportation infrastructure inside the borders of the United States. The Government can also forcibly draft U.S. citizens into the military and force U.S. citizens to fulfill "labor requirements" for the purposes of "national defense." There is not even any Congressional oversight allowed, only briefings.

In the NDAA, only the president had the authority to abrogate legitimate freedoms of U.S. citizens. What is extraordinary in the new Executive Order is that this supreme power is designated through the president to the secretaries that run the Government itself:

• The Secretary of Defense has power over all water resources;
    • The Secretary of Commerce has power over all material services and facilities, including construction materials;
    • The Secretary of Transportation has power over all forms of civilian transportation;
    • The Secretary of Agriculture has power over food resources and facilities, livestock plant health resources, and the domestic distribution of farm equipment;
    • The Secretary of Health and Human Services has power over all health resources;
    • The Secretary of Energy has power over all forms of energy.

The Executive Order even stipulates that in the event of conflict between the secretaries in using these powers, the president will determine the resolution through his national security team.

The 2012 NDAA gave the Government the right to abrogate any due process against a U.S. citizen. The new Executive Order gives the government, through the Secretary of Labor, the right to proactively mobilize U.S. citizens for "labor" as the government deems necessary and to coordinate with the Secretary of Defense to maintain data to coordinate the nation's work needs in relation to national defense.

What is extraordinary about the Executive Order is that, like the NDAA, this can all be done in peacetime without any national emergency to justify it. The language of the Order does not state that all these extraordinary measures will be done in the event of "national security" or a "national emergency." They can simply be done for "purposes of national defense," clearly a broader remit that allows the government to do what it wants, when it wants, how it wants, to whomever it wants, all without any judicial restraint or due process. As Orwell famously said in 1984, "War is peace. Peace is war." This is now the reality on the ground in America.

Finally, the 2012 NDAA was hurried through the House and Senate almost like a covert op with minimal public attention or debate. It was then signed by the president at 9:00 PM on New Year's Eve while virtually nobody was paying attention to much other than the approaching new year. This new Executive Order was written and signed in complete secret and then quietly released by the White House on its website without comment. All this was done under a president who studied constitutional law at Harvard.

It is hard to know what to say in the face of such egregious disregard for the integrity of what America has stood and fought for since its founding. It is hard in part because none of us thought such encroachments would ever happen here, certainly not under the watch of a "progressive" like Obama.

At one level, the prospect for war with Iran is probably an immediate justification. But the comprehensiveness of the Executive Order, like that of the 2012 NDAA, speaks to something much deeper, more sinister. I would suggest that this Order, like the NDAA, has been in the works for some time and is simply the next step in the logic of the "global war on terror." Our political elites have come to consider democracy an impediment to effective governance and they are slowly and painstakingly creating all the democratic legalities necessary to abridge our democratic rights with impunity, all to ensure our "security." Of such measures do republics fall and by such measures tyrants emerge.

The only thing that really remains is the occasion to test the new rules of the game. Perhaps that will be war with Iran, perhaps some contrived emergency, or perhaps, as long as the public and media remain asleep, no occasion will be necessary at all. It will just slowly happen of its own accord and we, like the frog in the pot of slowly boiling water, will just sit there and be consumed by our own turpitude.

OK, I would call myself one of those who is "eternally vigilant," but I wouldn't get too alarmed by this one. This EO is fundamentally the SAME as signed by Slick Willie back when he was in office and - as far as I can tell - offers no more power than the last one did. What has changed is the departmental structure and alignments, e.g., Coast Guard is now in DHS rather than Treasury. The new EO addresses those changes and little else.

No, I don't trust the current CIC as far as I can throw him, but I don't think this is a new, nefarious power grab. My eyes remain open, nonetheless.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I think this one added "and peace" to the "in time of war" clause. That could be a rather substantive change.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

What a great nation we live in waiting to be brought to its knees and turned over to its ways just like Sodom and gamora

I sure hope the citizens of this Country come out and vote for the Country in the next election. My only problem is that I don't want to keep the one we have, and I'm not all choked up about any of his opponents.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

A poor choice is better than no choice...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    What a great nation we live in waiting to be brought to its knees and turned over to its ways just like Sodom and gamora
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

You could see this coming from a mile away. Our rights as US citizens where flushed down the drain with the original Patriot Act. This is just us loosing a little more ground on the slippery slope.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

In 2009 the US congress renewed the Defense Production Act which is the basis for this executive order. Used to be FEMA was in charge of carrying out the executive order. Homeland Security Dep't now does that task.

Obama did not want the provisions of the NDAA that pertain to detention, etc. The detention trash in the NDAA is a poison pill dreamed up by Sen Inhofe and other senate idiots: They tried to force Obama to veto the defense appropriations bill. Obama publically stated he will never carry out the detention, etc. stuff in the NDAA. In any event the NDAA expires on 31 October, 2012.

Show me martial law in this executive order.
    Hopyard likes this.

Links