Contract police forces?

This is a discussion on Contract police forces? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm going to predict something here. Contract police forces in the near future. Let's face it.....states, counties, and cities are running out of funds to ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Contract police forces?

Contract police forces?

I'm going to predict something here. Contract police forces in the near future. Let's face it.....states, counties, and cities are running out of funds to where services are compromised and the employed law enforcement are asked to pay more for benefits, or do away with benefits, cut back on hours, etc.......... In the next few years I figure contract police forces will become reality. Still not much help on the spot for the common victim. What do you think?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Lots of municipalities have already shut down their local police departments and contracted with county sheriff's departments to provide services. No reason to believe it won't continue.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

privatized police is a very, very scary thought.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

THAT's where the villains from the James Bond movies come from. Paid cops.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Lots of municipalities have already shut down their local police departments and contracted with county sheriff's departments to provide services. No reason to believe it won't continue.
    Many counties here now house inmates from the city departments. Privately owned and in cohorts with vending companies etc..... They also back-charge the cities for storing inmates unable to pay fines etc....... I'm talking your on the street police officer where you'll need to dial an 888 number instead of local....kinda like Pizza Hut delivery. Thinking about it more...every good reason for any American to take up self protection as a hobby before it gets to the point of necessity. It won't be long. Want to talk about corruption now with the current forces? Just think about how many checks and balances there will be with contractors on the market. Sort of like how our federal government works now. Special interests. Oh-yeah........they'll all be subject and answer to national security (rogue law created by your establishment). No questions asked. While you carry a defensive sidearm.....don't forget to save one for yourself before being taken prisoner of the state. I'm just sayin'. What's your favorite caliber for a 'one-shot'?

I'd like to chime in...In the courts here in San Bernardino County the Judges have control of the purse strings and have tried to get rid of the Deputies and replace them with whom they want. However our Sheriff has said I will never release any of my prisoners to any person who is not a sworn peace officer in this state. They have tried to contract with out Highway Patrol which is also the state police and they were given the answer NO with no explanation.

Therer are some small towns, well there were... I don't know for a fact now, but my Bro in Law worked for a small private town as a cop and he never was a sworn officer per P.O.S.T. The Indian Reservation officers out here are not cops either. So yes I can see many municipalities going in that direction. It will only take 1 to break the ice and off they go.

VIP Member
    Private Contractors are the way of the future. Before LE it will be the Fire Departments though.

Law Enforcement is still a money making/revenue producing proposition, generally speaking, so they will be there for a bit longer. Contractors even though they draw a bigger salary there are no long term expenses like insurance or retirement to contend with.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Private Contractors are the way of the future. Before LE it will be the Fire Departments though.

Law Enforcement is still a money making/revenue producing proposition, generally speaking, so they will be there for a bit longer. Contractors even though they draw a bigger salary there are no long term expenses like insurance or retirement to contend with.
    Coming from a contractor LOL! I am not sure about this. It will save money for the towns and cities. Also, not being a lawyer, I would assume that any any lawsuit brought because of LE abuse or misconduct will be shared by the contractor and city saving some more money. I think it would work as long as their are no incentives for arrests. That could cause the LE contractor to work on the edge and possibly be prone to violating someones rights. So, I guess with good oversight I am for private contractors as long as it is well thought out. Cities will save big on benefit packages and retirement. Also, if the contractors are not performing you can get a new contract with someone else. You can't fire an entire police dept and start from scratch.
    As a side not I am all in favor of vouchers for schools to send your kids to private schools. The more private schools the less public school teachers and more of a cost savings.

I dunno................our Twp. is now paying for the cleaning costs of our LEO's uniforms......go figure.

Ya, they can get Blackwater contractors.

Back when I was an LEO our PD had a contract with a local cleaners,we would drop uniforms off for cleaning/repair and they would bill the PD.That was about 30 years ago
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep, security contractors have been so fabulously successful that the preeminent organization in that field had had to reorganize and rebrand themselves 4 or so time.

All the contractor racket is is fat contracts for cronies of politicians with the usual kickbacks and guaranteed jobs after the politicians leave office.
    Hopyard, Secret Spuk and DaveH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    Yep, security contractors have been so fabulously successful that the preeminent organization in that field had had to reorganize and rebrand themselves 4 or so time.

All the contractor racket is is fat contracts for cronies of politicians with the usual kickbacks and guaranteed jobs after the politicians leave office.
    That is a pretty broad statement. Many functions done by the military and local and state are contracted out and they work just fine. So if you have a problem with a single contractor spell it out and don't put all contractors in the same boat. If you want to talk about corruption and wasting tax payers money we can always start a talk about unions. But I won't go there.
    rolyat63 likes this.

I thought about this some and I have come up with that private or contract security cannot make arrest as police do. For example here in California a LEO can make an arrest for a Felony whether or not a felony has been commited. The leo has to reasonably believe that a felony has been commited. A private person can only arrest if a felony has been commited in their presence...much like a misdemeanor for a LEO.

Basically you could go tell a private security to go pound sand because their job is to observe and report. As far as contract, if they are not sworn they are no different that a private citizens and yes you can tell them to go pound sand. Like hell if I would stop for a private or contract security for an infraction. I see lots of legislation happening. There is a huge difference bewteen lets say Blackwater Contract Security in a military zone and my local street corner.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'm going to predict something here. Contract police forces in the near future. Let's face it.....states, counties, and cities are running out of funds to where services are compromised and the employed law enforcement are asked to pay more for benefits, or do away with benefits, cut back on hours, etc.......... In the next few years I figure contract police forces will become reality. Still not much help on the spot for the common victim. What do you think?
    As a cold shiver runs up my spine, I wonder. It could be worse, the Feds get involved and we get something like the TSA as local law enforcement.

In my area, I think this would be a good ways off. Our county is pretty rural, and growing, so at best, were improving our situation money wise, at worst holding our own. California, I could see something like this happening on a large scale and in a short manner of time. I do agree, it would be fraught with problems, poor attitudes, and authority complexes would likely be the norm.

Here's to hoping Ram Rod's crystal ball is really fuzzy. No offense.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links