CO or LEO?

This is a discussion on CO or LEO? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here in my state, the 2 biggest cities have their own in house training academies for their local CO and LEO. The CO's are considered ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: CO or LEO?

Here in my state, the 2 biggest cities have their own in house training academies for their local CO and LEO. The CO's are considered officers and have sworn status with a state wide jurisdiction.

Both have Laws of Arrest training and Use of Force training, but somewhat individually specified for their jobs.
    The only difference is the badge, uniform, and job description. As a matter of fact, the CO powers of arrest are statewide, because of an old but still existing law in the Kentucky requiring jailers to chase down and capture their own escapees.

Additionally, many LEA's hire from the Lexington or Louiville jail because they are only lacking training that is specific to patrol and general policing. and are easier to train because they already have the basics.

Of course, different states are set up differently.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nikdfish View Post
    Maybe some state or local systems. Feds want a BS or prior "supervisory" experience for entry positions. As for being a "crap" job, that will vary by organization. Within the federal system, there is a potential for a lot of upward mobility. I started as a CO with them at 25 & retired at 52 as a GS 15...

Nick
    I got a interview offer a few days after I put in my application here in Wisconsin. I had just turned 18. Quickly changed my mind however, I would much rather have a security job than ever work there (in my county and surrounding counties).
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links