USMC Discharges Sgt. For Criticism of POTUS on Facebook - Page 2

USMC Discharges Sgt. For Criticism of POTUS on Facebook

This is a discussion on USMC Discharges Sgt. For Criticism of POTUS on Facebook within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by WHEC724 ... he now has all of his freedoms back. Don't you lose some of your freedoms with a less than honerable ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: USMC Discharges Sgt. For Criticism of POTUS on Facebook

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    ... he now has all of his freedoms back.
    Don't you lose some of your freedoms with a less than honerable discharge? Or is that just if it is dishonerable? Like the right to bear arms?
    Walk softly ...

Any member of the military can criticize POTUS on Facebook or in public as long as they don't identify themselves as a member of the military...

If they do something in uniform, or openly identify themselves as members of the military (especially active duty) then all bets are off...

This Marine went out of his way to piss off his leadership and he succeeded...they may privately agree with him, but to do it so blatantly demands action...
    varob likes this.
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Don't you lose some of your freedoms with a less than honerable discharge? Or is that just if it is dishonerable? Like the right to bear arms?
    You only lose certain benefits like the ability to enlist again and stuff like that.

When I served, Lyndon Johnson was Commander In Chief. He was so unpopular that he chose not to run for reelection. Still, in spite of that unpopularity, most members of the military served faithfully. It's no different today. When you serve, you trust that the American people will elect your Commander in Chief wisely. But when they don't, you still serve. I would hate to see the consequences if it became popular for members of the military to do otherwise.
    RoadKill and RMS like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I would hate to see the consequences if it became popular for members of the military to do otherwise.
    Would that the beginning of a coup?

You would think that being the ones directly effected by a bad Commander in Chief, they could gritch. But like on the Fire Department, we never "aired our dirty laundry in public". No matter how much you wanted to.
    We would just smile and say, "Yeah, he is a nice guy", even though we were lying through our teeth.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Agree with Gene83. In 65-67 I didn't care for President Johnson for a lot of reasons but I went about my duties without a word. I understood what I had sworn to and the ramifications of not living up to the oath.

And yes, military coups are the reason our military is required to stay out of politics and follow the lawful orders of the chain of command--all the way to the top.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was younger

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Would that the beginning of a coup?

You would think that being the ones directly effected by a bad Commander in Chief, they could gritch. But like on the Fire Department, we never "aired our dirty laundry in public". No matter how much you wanted to.
    We would just smile and say, "Yeah, he is a nice guy", even though we were lying through our teeth. Better yet just smile and nod.
    Something like that. But realistically, if you go on the internet and start posting derogatory comments about your boss and think that nothing will happen to you as a result, you've probably got another think coming.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I feel so bad for him because of what he was trying to do... if I remember correctly he said.. I will not follow (((unlawful orders))) to disarm the citizens of United States... He was standing up for us. The keyword here is unlawful orders, which he does have the right to refuse. When he took his oath it was to protect the Constitution of United States. There are only a handful of people in the United States willing to stand up like he did. I hope he gets a lot of support in the future. Former Marine

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    You'd think an NCO could learn a lesson from a 4-Star General being relieved for pretty much the same thing.
    It's different for officers. Article 88 of the UCMJ states that, "Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct."

There are rules against what he did, however. One of the articles calls them Pentagon directives.
    ANGLICO likes this.

That NCO got exactly what he deserved. He merits no support.
    shockwave likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    At least he did not get a Big Chicken Dinner (Bad Conduct Discharge)
    Too bad for him... anything that is not "Honorable" is bad when employers look at your service record... Some people are just too stupid to survive...

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Tom Umberg, a former Army colonel and military prosecutor, said Stein persisted even after being warned.

Please show an example of this happening during the Bush administration and no enforcement taking place.
    A whole unit reserve's from GA got them self on the news with phony stories about Bush sending them in to combat with out proper gear. They made a whole lot of anti Bush statements on live news shows. It went on for some time press loved it. Not one thing was done. It happen a few times.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    It has been many years, but involvement in politics was forbidden in the military to my recollection. Also, I recall we periodically notified federal civilian employees that political activities were forbidden on federal time and property. Hatch Act.
    Most partisan political activity is forbidden to Federal workers by the Hatch Act. Things were eased a bit
    around 10 years ago, but one quick way to lose a job and maybe go to jail is to violate that law.

There are usually either annual reminders or reminders around election season; and sometimes training sessions to make
    sure folks don't cross the line.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    A whole unit reserve's from GA got them self on the news with phony stories about Bush sending them in to combat with out proper gear. They made a whole lot of anti Bush statements on live news shows. It went on for some time press loved it. Not one thing was done. It happen a few times.
    Was that the 343rd Quartermaster Corps Unit where the Commanding Officer and First Sergeant were replaced as a result of the units actions or are you referring to another incident?

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    When I enlisted I took this oath 10USC502:
    “I, XXXXXXXXXX, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.”

I was commissioned about a year later on this oath of office:
    “I, XXXXXXXXXX, having been appointed a ensign in the United States Navy, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foriegn and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the office upon which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

Someone in the marines ten years knew better than to do what he did. My take is the fellow may need some help in the not too distant future. He must be suffering. I hope he didn't lose his VA medical eligibility.

I know XXXXXXXXXX is an unusual name. But it started way back with an ancestor X that couldn't write. Then his son was XX, grandson XXX etc. So if you run across some guy named XXXXXXXXXXX, tell them their old man is full of beans.
    ANGLICO likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links