Shoot a LEO in the D, get "only" 14 yrs.

This is a discussion on Shoot a LEO in the D, get "only" 14 yrs. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Talk about adding insult to injury... Detroit officer blasts 'insulting' 14-year term for man who shot him...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Shoot a LEO in the D, get "only" 14 yrs.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

That is just terrible. LEOs aren't paid enough to take this kind of abuse.....FROM THE COURTS. Too bad this officer didn't give that bucket of fish guts three lethal wounds. I hope this criminal doesn't make it out of prison alive. I can only hope.
    QKShooter and The Old Anglo like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

The penalty for shooting a LEO, Dentist, Taxi driver or anyone else should be the same. After all aren't we all supposed to be equal in the eyes of the law.

Lets set it at death and not have to worry about who is more important or deserving of protection.

Michael
    DukeoftheD, ccw9mm, Rollo and 9 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The penalty for shooting a LEO, Dentist, Taxi driver or anyone else should be the same. After all aren't we all supposed to be equal in the eyes of the law.

Lets set it at death and not have to worry about who is more important or deserving of protection.

Michael
    I would also include another law in this country that needs to be repealed but would most likely get me "spanked" by the administrators.

But I do agree if one commits a crime (no matter what crime) you get a set penalty and who the crime was committed against carries no more weight.
    Cleandean likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Hopefully, Mr. Procter will 'resist' a future arrest, more are certainly coming, and suffer the needed justice at that time.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Glad I'm not an LEO anymore (retired), and this kind of crap is exactly why both of my kids are strongly steered away from a career in LE. The purpose and calling is noble, but in today's society, it just isn't worth it, IMO.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Be prepared to take care of yourself. Don't rely on the system to protect you or administer justice. Move from dysfunctional cities taking your money and talent. Get involved in local politics at your new residence to keep elected officials focused on quality of life issues. Vote.
    The Old Anglo and Spirit51 like this.

This kind of pansy treatment of criminals infuriates me!!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Oh boy. I better say this first before the stones get thrown at me. The BG should be thrown in jail for life. Period. The judge was an idiot and like the LEO said, the judge was lenient, not the system. OK now. I won't even wade into the whole argument about if you shoot a LEO you should be penalized more than a citizen. Which I disagree with. But, the BG did not shoot him because he was a LEO or because he was acting in an official capacity. Mathews said this:
    "This is the message you send to police officers when we try to do our jobs?" Matthews asked Boykin,
    He was not doing his job at the time. He was getting gas. Sounds like he wanted the guy sentenced more because he was a LEO. He did tell the BG he was a LEO but what does that really mean. Anybody can say that. And if anything that did not help.

I think there should be a thread just on the incident itself. It is a good example of a situation where the BG has the drop on you and has a gun to ones head. We have discussed it before but here is a real one. What did he do right or wrong?
    Sig 210 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael

Yep

VIP Member
    suntzu I agree with you on most of that

he shouldn't have said to the guy that had a gun to his head "hey I'm a cop", IMO that just invites the guy to want to kill a cop
    IMO...if he was going to do anything he should have acted, not talked, to attempt to get the gun away from his head since this guy was so stupid to get that close and pummel his butt into the ground/shoot him....well

as for him not doing his job at the time...yes...at the time the dirtbag first started the encounter he was not doing his job and any enhanced punishment shouldn't be used, I don't see how that it can be, just like if the dirtbag would have come up and hit him in the head it wouldn't be assault on a cop since he wasn't clearly identified as a LEO (your location may vary with how this is done)
    different states have different laws, etc but usually when a cop identifies him/herself as a cop and they take action then they are considered being in the course of their sworn duty, however according to what was described in this situation that does not come into play since he acted after the fact based on him shooting the fleeing suspect to prevent him from shooting/committing more crime

it would be different if the dirtbag had been dealt with previously by this cop and the dirtbag knew he was a cop

one bit of hope in this is that the feds follow through on the serial number issue....that will get him a mandatory 10 year sentence in federal prison AFTER he gets released from state prison....and there is no early release for that
    fastk9dad likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

While I agree that the sentence was too lenient, keep in mind that the victim was 'off-duty' [most likely not in uniform] and the fact that he was LEO may not have entered into the decision.

VIP Member
    While I think the sentence sucked, I would also point out it shouldn't be any stiffer due to Officer Matthews being shot. He was off duty when he was shot, so we have no idea if Proctor knew he was a LEO. The sentence should be the same regardless.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The sentence was a joke but do I think a LEO getting shot off duty, on duty, uniformed or not should mean a different penalty than any non LEO? NO because no one persons life is worth more than another no matter what job they chose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links