Army Reserves..question

This is a discussion on Army Reserves..question within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by cagueits Maybe the military is not for you, but you could help America in other organizations - i.e Red Cross / CERT ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Army Reserves..question

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Maybe the military is not for you, but you could help America in other organizations - i.e Red Cross / CERT / etc..

Heres a link that might be useful:
    http://www.fema.gov/individual/volunteer.shtm
    Thanks!!! I already signed up for VIPS (police volunteer) in Pittsburgh!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Probably a pretty good bet.

If you're not willing to fight for your country, why would you join?

If you're looking for the college money or something, please don't bother. They have enough of mommy's little darlings already that can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that they're actually in the MILITARY and might have to do what they're told once in a while.

I could understand servicemembers who signed up prior to 9/11 not expecting they would go to war, but after? I ran into all kinds of kids just out of AIT post-9/11 who had no idea they would actually go to IRAQ! Who'da thunkit?

Lastly, the military is completely uninterested in your convienience.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; September 8th, 2006 at 02:53 PM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post

I could understand servicemembers who signed up prior to 9/11 not expecting they would go to war, but after? I ran into all kinds of kids just out of AIT post-9/11 who had no idea they would actually go to IRAQ! Who'da thunkit?

Lastly, the military is completely uninterested in your convienience.
    I couldn't believe it, sitting in Basra, listening to Marine Corps Infantrymen saying "I didn't sign up for this!" Well you should have joined and became a cook or admin, was my usual reply...

look at the time lines from Desert Storm to Somoilia to Kosovo to Afghanistan to Iraq....tell me if you would expect to go 4 years with no action?

Pretty sad when the radio guy is more upbeat about being a combat zone than the grunts...

Been there, done that, Do I belive that every one should have to serve.You betcha.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    I couldn't believe it, sitting in Basra, listening to Marine Corps Infantrymen saying "I didn't sign up for this!" Well you should have joined and became a cook or admin, was my usual reply...
    I always thought the saying was "every Marine an Infantryman". What was he thinking?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by .45forme View Post
    Been there, done that, Do I belive that every one should have to serve.You betcha.
    i kind of agree with that, like many other countries that require 12-18 months of service, I think that makes for a better person with real character in the end.

I do believe though, that's one of the things that makes America's fighting force the best - beyond just being better equipped, the fact that it's an all volunteer force means that (in theory) they all want to be there, and like the military life in it's good and bad times. This makes for better morale and performance.

I have always thought that getting rid of the draft was wrong.
    We have all volenteers and some don't want to fight. If you were drafted at least you had an excuse for not wanting to be there.
    I believe that every citizen over 18 is responible for helping to protect our country and our freedoms. I bet if they started a reserve group of people over 50 there would be a lot of volenteers and none would say they didn't want to fight.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    I would like to join the Army Reserves...BUT...I'm guessing if I do that now in a time of war..I'd be sent off to war! Anyone have a clue if that would be the case???
    I suggest you join up and find out. Good way to grow up. See ya when you get back.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Do not even consider it if you are not willing to give your life to it. Period. That is why it is called a sacrifice.

Going in, even as a reservist, with any lesser thoughts will render you a burden to those beside you and a disgrace to those who have gone before. That is the cold hard truth.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I have always thought that getting rid of the draft was wrong.
    We have all volenteers and some don't want to fight. If you were drafted at least you had an excuse for not wanting to be there.
    I believe that every citizen over 18 is responible for helping to protect our country and our freedoms. I bet if they started a reserve group of people over 50 there would be a lot of volenteers and none would say they didn't want to fight.

Right there with you. Perhaps something like the IDF. Not only would it be a benifit to the Military in general but I'd have to guess that there would be less gang issues in our cities, and maybe just maybe less anti-firearm crap.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

I think you should do at least a year as a Rifleman, then you get the option to get out and you are done, unless all reserves/guard units are commited in combat at the sametime.

For those who vounteer to stay in, once you separate/retire your term honorably, you should: 1) get free medical for life at any hospital; 2) free college education for life at any institution you choose; and 3) no more federal/state/local income taxes ever if you have a CIB/CAR.

Just my 2 cents.

If you want something "convenient" any part of the military is not for you.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

interesting varying opinions..but I understand them all..thanks for the input

I guess I just want it to be more convenient for me.
    Well isn't that the problem. I didn't take the time to sift through three pages of responses, so I'm just going to say that up front. The only other disclaimer I'm going to make is that this isn't going to be pretty.

If you are not willing to serve your country in a time of war, then the military has no use for you....stay away from it. The military exists for one reason, and one reason only - as the nation's hammer. Reservists who are not willing to deploy or fight when the time comes are nothing but social leaches who seek to exploit the small contract committment and reduced risk of getting activated for the right to consider themselves "military" and so that they can feel as though they have contributed without actually having done so. It makes for good stories at the next frat party or around the water cooler at work, I'm sure.
    The military is not a jobs-skills program, nor is it free money for college. Choosing the military is a committment to serve in a time of need...it does not matter what is convenient for you, and we do not care what is convenient for you.

That one sentence that you had the misfortune of typing clearly marks you as a person that I would neither want to depend on nor someone upon whom I would place responsibility for others. Because leadership and responsibility simply are not convenient.

You have answered your own question. If you are looking for something convenient, I suggest you stay where you are, in the job that you love. If a unit cannot depend on you when they need you, then save everyone the time and effort and simply find something else.

Mods, sorry if this is too out of line but this really gets under my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits
    For those who vounteer to stay in, once you separate/retire your term honorably, you should: 1) get free medical for life at any hospital; 2) free college education for life at any institution you choose; and 3) no more federal/state/local income taxes ever if you have a CIB/CAR.
    This is incorrect. Please check your facts before offering advice on what the retirement benefits are.

OK...I get the point and understand the strong feelings. I just wanted to learn more about the reservist situation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links