Army Reserves..question

Army Reserves..question

This is a discussion on Army Reserves..question within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would like to join the Army Reserves...BUT...I'm guessing if I do that now in a time of war..I'd be sent off to war! Anyone ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Army Reserves..question

I would like to join the Army Reserves...BUT...I'm guessing if I do that now in a time of war..I'd be sent off to war! Anyone have a clue if that would be the case???

There are a number of factors involved but its a safe bet.

On a related note, while I understand reluctance on anyone's part to go in harm's way, if you are that concerned about being sent to war the military (any service; active, reserve or National Guard) probably is not for you.

When anyone joins the military, you have to be prepared to go to combat if called upon. After all, That is the point of the Military. If your not willing to do that then I agree with the above poster, Don't join. It irritates me when people in the military are deployed and they complain saying , "I don't want to go fight , I just joined for the benefits."
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Sounds like a reluctant warrior there.
    Life is too short to be serious!

erh
    Yes... More than likely..! So, if you DON'T want to serve, then don't...
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Believe it or not...I feel the same way and I figured these would be the types of responses. I guess I just want it to be more convenient for me. I could handle the amount of commitment necessary to join the reserves in a time of peace but at this point in my life with an excellent job, I'm not able/willing to move to Iraq and quit my job. That's all I'm trying to say. Thanks for the input though. Maybe I'll just end up getting drafted! haha...I know that a draft is not totally out of the question in the future...and if there is there is speculation that there won't be student deferrment as well.

and can someone please tell me real quick how to track a thread because I still don't know..haha..thanks

JD
    Administrator
    If your not willing to go to war, why join the military???

If you join you should be ready, willing and able to be in combat, PERIOD.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    Believe it or not...I feel the same way and I figured these would be the types of responses. I guess I just want it to be more convenient for me.
    When you join the military it is for the convenience of the military, not you.

There are a whole bunch of folks that have ended up in Iraq that "didn't join up for that", they just wanted the benefits!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    I could handle the amount of commitment necessary to join the reserves in a time of peace but at this point in my life with an excellent job, I'm not able/willing to move to Iraq and quit my job.
    Federal law protects you from being fired due to Guard Committment. I work at a Nuclear Plant and several of our people have been in Iraq,Afghanistan and a couple in Singapore working Intelligence. Some have been gone for over a year. Those that did their time and came back went right back into their job.

I give the company credit for supporting them, as they voluntarily made up the difference in salary, so their paycheck never changed, but I figure that most companys ,escpecially smaller ones cant afford to do that.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I say this after 8 years of service in the Army. Don't join the military unless you are willing to take up arms at the whim of the Commander in Chief/Congress.

I understand that the benefits are great, I understand you can blow your whole paycheck on the 1st of the month and still have somewhere to sleep and 3 meals a day for the rest of the month, I understand that you get to see some cool places, I understand that you can get your college paid for. But guess what all those cool things come with a price - you don't get something for nothing in this world.

I absolutely loved the military but I was also one of the guys that actually volunteered to go to Desert Storm (Didn't get to go - still kind of bummed about that). Its a great way of life and gave me that ability to give something back to a country that I love dearly. It is something that I was passionate about and quenched my need to serve.

Wow, I am really rambling now. I will try and wrap up quickly - if you want to give back to this country and you don't want to fight, then pick something that you are truly passionate about; peace corp, helping kids with literacy, whatever. But PLEASE don't join the military unless you are willing to give your life for the guy in the foxhole next to you. You will be doing both of you a huge favor.

Alright, guess its time to put my soap box back into the closet.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

good advice..looks like i'll stick to my desk job and shooting at lunch time! glad i sparked the conversation though

Maybe the military is not for you, but you could help America in other organizations - i.e Red Cross / CERT / etc..

Heres a link that might be useful:
    http://www.fema.gov/individual/volunteer.shtm

erh
    Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    and can someone please tell me real quick how to track a thread because I still don't know..haha..thanks
    ^^ Use the "Thread Tools" ^^ @ the top of the page...
    Good luck w/ your decision; it's atough one..!
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Quote Originally Posted by erh View Post
    ^^ Use the "Thread Tools" ^^ @ the top of the page...
    GIANT THANK YOU!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links