Need some LE Advice.

Need some LE Advice.

This is a discussion on Need some LE Advice. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It appears that my new neighbors are dealing Heroin and other illegal substances from across the street. It's common knowledge throughout the neighborhood this is ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Hiram25
  • 2 Post By barstoolguru
  • 1 Post By keboostman

Thread: Need some LE Advice.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

Need some LE Advice.

It appears that my new neighbors are dealing Heroin and other illegal substances from across the street. It's common knowledge throughout the neighborhood this is going on. Numerous Ohio plates on cars visiting for only a few minutes. Kids from the high school showing up in groups of 2 or 3, paranoia exhibited by inhabitants, traffic at all hours of the day and a neighborhood woman turned prostitute to afford her habit.

I have notified the Chief of police via email and informed him of my/our suspicions. However, I have not seen any increased police presence or concern. I am worried because with heroin comes theft, robbery, burglary, assaults and an increase in the potential for violent individuals in the area.

Have I done everything I can to assist LE? I don't want to become a target but I don't want it across the street from me either.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Just because you have not seen a police presence, does not mean they are not there. In a lot of cases like this, they try to buy drugs from the house prior to making any arrests, you can't do that in uniform, or out of a police car. I'd give them (PD) an update every couple of weeks, just to keep the pressure on and see what happens.
    ron8903, mano3, Guest1 and 1 others like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Thanks, I figured that. We are a small town.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Video tape the cars and subjects and make a document showing suspicious activity
    Documented proof is hard to turn away
    sgb and carracer like this.

Since you live in a small town, I suggest you pay the police chief a personal visit. Best to communicate important things eye-to-eye, face-to-face.
    rolyat63 likes this.

Are you willing to file a complaint against those neighbors? In many small towns the Police hands are tied because no one is willing to sign a complaint.

Example: In my area it is common for citizens to call and report something. When the officer asks them to fill out and sign a report they refuse. They say I told you what happened now its your job to arrest them. Arrest them for what? The officer did not see a crime being committed and the citizen refuses to sign a complaint or report saying that witnessed a crime being committed.

Not saying that is what is happening in your case. Do not know the full details.

Michael

Ask for a drug task force supervisor to call you....A chat with a middleman boss usually gets things going...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Are you willing to file a complaint against those neighbors? In many small towns the Police hands are tied because no one is willing to sign a complaint.

Example: In my area it is common for citizens to call and report something. When the officer asks them to fill out and sign a report they refuse. They say I told you what happened now its your job to arrest them. Arrest them for what? The officer did not see a crime being committed and the citizen refuses to sign a complaint or report saying that witnessed a crime being committed.

Not saying that is what is happening in your case. Do not know the full details.

Michael
    I just got home from chatting with the Campbell County Kentucky Prosecutor about another related issue. I will sign, appear and testify.

Drugs, burglary and theft has become a big problem in northern ky. A guy over dosed a block away last week

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I just got home from chatting with the Campbell County Kentucky Prosecutor about another related issue. I will sign, appear and testify.
    Good for you!
    Trust me this is one of the biggest issues in controlling crime in a neighborhood. Most people are not willing to step forward the way you are.

Michael

It's a tough call because they can't enter the home without probable cause and even videotaping cars coming and going doesn't constitute probable cause. If I was a LEO assigned to investigate I'd look for a CI -- either somebody who's already "in" there or knows somebody who is -- to get a warrant and even still you gotta time your raid just right. It's just not as simple as you might think it is. These CI's are often arrestees in an unrelated case offered a better deal for ratting out their suppliers or competition.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Be sure to update us on the outcome of the trial.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

It appears that my new neighbors are dealing Heroin and other illegal substances from across the street. It's common knowledge throughout the neighborhood this is going on. Numerous Ohio plates on cars visiting for only a few minutes. Kids from the high school showing up in groups of 2 or 3, paranoia exhibited by inhabitants, traffic at all hours of the day and a neighborhood woman turned prostitute to afford her habit.

I have notified the Chief of police via email and informed him of my/our suspicions. However, I have not seen any increased police presence or concern. I am worried because with heroin comes theft, robbery, burglary, assaults and an increase in the potential for violent individuals in the area.

Have I done everything I can to assist LE? I don't want to become a target but I don't want it across the street from me either.
    if the police will not address the issue take it up with the county prosecutor.
    you should be aware that the cops might be on it but are building a case and are not ready to move on the house just yet.
    I lived in a small town and noticed that the same things were happening at a bar in town, I met with the police chief who was aware of the problem but told me that he couldn't get an officer in there to make a buy because they knew all the cops in town and that he was waiting for state police help. sometimes you need to be patient

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    It's a tough call because they can't enter the home without probable cause and even videotaping cars coming and going doesn't constitute probable cause. If I was a LEO assigned to investigate I'd look for a CI -- either somebody who's already "in" there or knows somebody who is -- to get a warrant and even still you gotta time your raid just right. It's just not as simple as you might think it is. These CI's are often arrestees in an unrelated case offered a better deal for ratting out their suppliers or competition.
    Yup, catch the little fish and tell them you will let them go scott free if they help you catch the bigger fish. Who would turn that down!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    as others have said.....investigators will be working on getting CI to buy some product then get warrants, pretty common

and as for not seeing increase in presence......I can tell you they are watching from afar.....I do all the time, then get traffic violation(s) on the car, knock it down, and go from there....we've shut down 5 dope houses in the past 4 months by doing all this, it works just takes some time
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Sponsored Links