Fla undercover cop shoots kid at family business

This is a discussion on Fla undercover cop shoots kid at family business within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "They send an Assistant State Attorney out to the scene to work with the homicide unit, to make sure all things are being done, God ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Fla undercover cop shoots kid at family business

"They send an Assistant State Attorney out to the scene to work with the homicide unit, to make sure all things are being done, God forbid there be a prosecution," says Scott.

Scott say in a case like this, the deputy may come back from administrative leave to do "light duty" work inside the department. But the deputy doesn't go back on patrol until, or unless, he's cleared in the shooting probe.
    In the meantime, he is offered counseling.

"It's a very daunting event, I don't care how tough an officer thinks they are. When you use deadly force it's a traumatic event, psychologically and emotionally," says Scott.

Read more: Officer involved shooting investigation - what's next?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You ever read an NCOER or OER for someone in the army? Those statements sound like he was doing his job, nothing more, nothing less. I am not taking a side on this one. But reading statements like that don't really mean much.
    Yeah but OERs etc are required to be written. Letters from community members are strictly voluntary and are usually very few and far between.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Where is the "kid"? I'm thinking he is 10 or 11. Did the media say "kid"?

The officer didn't know he had been arrested before, that doesn't matter.
    64zebra likes this.
    --Jason--

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Being from S. FL, I can only say that the PBCSD isn't exactly overloaded with a bunch of deputies of the Einstein caliber of intelligence. Just personal experience speaking here.

As for the stated incident, I wasn't there to witness it, so I guess it will have to be worked out in the investigation and/or courts.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    When your order to stop what you’re doing..... Do it. The Adams kid was drinking and obviously didn't do what he was told
    The answer is yes and no. Many times officers give an order they do not have authority to give. Thankfully we still do have some rights left in America. Since we do not know all the facts, and we never will, we should not judge.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    The answer is yes and no. Many times officers give an order they do not have authority to give. Thankfully we still do have some rights left in America. Since we do not know all the facts, and we never will, we should not judge.

Wow so let me get this straight. A police officer who is within his jurisdiction, with a badge, who has identified himself as such and while wearing a tactical uniform that says Deputy, Police, SWAT or whatever with a gun tells you to get on the ground, cease and desist, or again whatever you are going to sit there and tell him he does not have the authority to do that?

That has nothing to do with rights but it does have everything to do with stupidity but you stroke on their partner and see how far that gets you.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Oh boy... another one in Florida.

I've read both articals in the thread, as well as all the postings. First off the Officer was not undercover. He was in a soft uniform, driving an unmarked car according to the reporting. It's been said that the officer was making some sort of observations, or on some survailence. This In my opinion is normal rightious police work. One thing everyone should keep in mind is that these things happen very very fast. The Officer may not have had enough time and space to do anything else. I see the Officer understanding there may be some confusion of his identity and getting out of his car to show his soft uniform.

VIP Member
    Just posting to play devil's advocate for discussion sake. I have no more clue about what happened than anyone else and do not want to speculate.

Why was the officer sitting in the parking lot of a privately owned business, presumably the parking lot is privately owned as well? Why is the Adam's boy's inquiry or "investigation" of a strange vehicle in his lot any different than if you came home
    and found a strange car in your driveway and you thought it was occupied by an imposter claiming to be a cop?

The young man used lousy judgment in not fleeing and calling 911, but unless he attacked the officer, and maybe not even then, did he deserve to get shot.

Sadly we see stories similar to this one here with a remarkable regularity.

Added a moment later after reading Secret Spuk's post: "This In my opinion is normal rightious police work."
    Yes, it is normal righteous police work, but the manner in which it was being done created a situation which,
    didn't need to happen.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

In the meantime, he (the cop) is offered counseling.

"It's a very daunting event, I don't care how tough an officer thinks they are. When you use deadly force it's a traumatic event, psychologically and emotionally," says Chief Andrew Scott.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Most people may not think of attacking an LEO, but this guy (on probation, driving a stolen SUV) did, quite successfully, until he was finally caught:

Suffolk VA LEO beat unconscious after traffic stop
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

If this was civilian on civilian we would be praising the shooter. It would appear that folks have a deep down disliking for law enforcement. Get over it. IMO the officer was right in this shoot....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    If this was civilian on civilian we would be praising the shooter. It would appear that folks have a deep down disliking for law enforcement. Get over it. IMO the officer was right in this shoot....
    Why would anyone be praising the shooter. If this actually were a civilian on civilian it would be a case of the owner (or someone with an interest ) of the property arriving at his place, seeing a car that didn't belong, walking up to ask what's going on, and getting attacked.

There is only one issue here. How well clear it was that the car was a cop's car, that the man inside was a cop for real and not a phony about to break into the business.

As I said earlier, the kid was stupid, but to use a paraphrase which is being bandied about in relation to a certain event
    and person by a certain police department, "it didn't need to happen."

So let's see, in one instance you get a murder charge because it didn't need to happen and in the other
    you get a walk because it didn't need to happen?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Why would anyone be praising the shooter. If this actually were a civilian on civilian it would be a case of the owner (or someone with an interest ) of the property arriving at his place, seeing a car that didn't belong, walking up to ask what's going on, and getting attacked.

There is only one issue here. How well clear it was that the car was a cop's car, that the man inside was a cop for real and not a phony about to break into the business.

As I said earlier, the kid was stupid, but to use a paraphrase which is being bandied about in relation to a certain event
    and person by a certain police department, "it didn't need to happen."

So let's see, in one instance you get a murder charge because it didn't need to happen and in the other
    you get a walk because it didn't need to happen?
    Maybe I didnt make the point clear. It would be posted as a good defensive shooting if it were civilian on civilian. That is what I meant by praising the shooter. Hope that helps....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just posting to play devil's advocate for discussion sake. I have no more clue about what happened than anyone else and do not want to speculate.

Why was the officer sitting in the parking lot of a privately owned business, presumably the parking lot is privately owned as well? Why is the Adam's boy's inquiry or "investigation" of a strange vehicle in his lot any different than if you came home
    and found a strange car in your driveway and you thought it was occupied by an imposter claiming to be a cop?

The young man used lousy judgment in not fleeing and calling 911, but unless he attacked the officer, and maybe not even then, did he deserve to get shot.

Sadly we see stories similar to this one here with a remarkable regularity.

Added a moment later after reading Secret Spuk's post: "This In my opinion is normal rightious police work."
    Yes, it is normal righteous police work, but the manner in which it was being done created a situation which,
    didn't need to happen.

Maybe I should clarify my comment. Sitting in an unmarked police car conducting observations is normal rightious police work. Happens all the time.

As I said this kind of work is done all the time. Many departments where this technique is used will assign a second officer. One officer to make and record observations, and one officer for security. Usually as protection if the O/P is found out by the subjects, or for the intervention of a concerned citizen such as this case. Maybe the Palm Beach Sheriff's dept dont have the resources.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Maybe I didnt make the point clear. It would be posted as a good defensive shooting if it were civilian on civilian. That is what I meant by praising the shooter. Hope that helps....
    Maybe we are just talking past each other. If I went to my place of business and found a stranger sitting in a car, perhaps posing as an officer, if I was stupid and challenged him instead of retreating to call 911, and if on challenging he got out of his car to confront me, and shot me, I don't think we would be praising the shooter.

Spuk is correct that this is how righteous work goes, but truly righteous work would involve the utmost in making sure
    a misunderstanding doesn't happen. Like, maybe, let the owner know you are going to have an unmarked car in his
    parking lot? Not hard to do.

So to reuse the phrase being bandied about with regard to the stuff we don't talk about; it didn't need to happen.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links