A Tribute to Vietnam Veterans...The Vietnam Version of "Before You Go"

This is a discussion on A Tribute to Vietnam Veterans...The Vietnam Version of "Before You Go" within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This song was written originally as a tribute to the Veterans of WWII and the Korean War...it has since been adapted to The Vietnam War....Please ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By First Sgt

Thread: A Tribute to Vietnam Veterans...The Vietnam Version of "Before You Go"

This song was written originally as a tribute to the Veterans of WWII and the Korean War...it has since been adapted to The Vietnam War....Please watch and listen...The link is at the bottom of the story...After listening to the WWII/Korean War version, look to the right on the site and click on the Vietnam War version..

Here is the "original" story and music for WWII/Korean War

This is a wonderful video. For many of us, our fathers, grandfathers, uncles,
    >
    > and other relatives served in World War II. There aren't many
    >
    > of them left but they were known as the greatest generation.
    >
    > Please read to the end and then click on the website
    >
    > The elderly parking lot attendant wasn't in a good mood!
    >
    > Neither was Sam Bierstock. It was around 1 a.m., and Bierstock, a Delray Beach, Fla. , eye doctor, business consultant, corporate speaker and musician, was bone tired after appearing at an event.
    >
    > He pulled up in his car, and the parking attendant began to speak. "I took two bullets for this country and look what I'm doing," he said bitterly.
    >
    > At first, Bierstock didn't know what to say to the World War II veteran. But he rolled down his window and told the man, "Really, from the bottom of my heart, I want to thank you."
    >
    > Then the old soldier began to cry.
    >
    > "That really got to me," Bierstock says.
    >
    > Cut to today.
    >
    > Bierstock, 58, and John Melnick, 54, of Pompano Beach - a member of Bierstock's band, Dr. Sam and the Managed Care Band - have written a song inspired by that old soldier in the airport parking lot. The mournful "Before You Go" does more than salute those who fought in WWII. It encourages people to go out of their way to thank the aging warriors before they die.
    >
    > "If we had lost that particular war, our whole way of life would have been shot," says Bierstock, who plays harmonica. "The WW II soldiers are now dying at the rate of about 2,000 every day. I thought we needed to thank them."
    >
    > The song is striking a chord. Within four days of Bierstock placing it on the Web, the song and accompanying photo essay have bounced around nine countries, producing tears and heartfelt thanks from veterans, their sons and daughters and grandchildren.

> "It made me cry," wrote one veteran's son Another sent an e-mail saying that only after his father consumed several glasses of wine would he discuss " the unspeakable horrors" he and other soldiers had witnessed in places such as Anzio, Iwo Jima, Bataan and Omaha Beach. "I can never thank them enough," the son wrote. "Thank you for thinking about them."
    >
    > Bierstock and Melnick thought about shipping it off to a professional singer, maybe a Lee Greenwood type, but because time was running out for so many veterans, they decided it was best to release it quickly, for free, on the Web. They've sent the song to Sen. John McCain and others in Washington. Already they have been invited to perform it in Houstonfor a Veterans Day tribute - this after just a few days on the Web. They hope every veteran in America gets a chance to hear it.
    >
    > GOD BLESS every EVERY veteran...
    > and THANK you to those of you veterans who may receive this !
    >
    The WWII/Korean War Version of Before You Go - Before You Go
    Last edited by First Sgt; May 21st, 2012 at 06:26 PM.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Thank you for posting. Very moving.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

They forgot one word "AMEN" Thanks for sharing...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Thanks for sharing this. It is very touching. I have been sending it to others. I had to keep my tissues handy. Reminds me of my late father. Navy WWII. Pacific Uncle Army WWII Europe Uncles Army and Air Force Korea Both brothers Navy and Air Force Vietnam. Plus all those who have touched my life in so many ways.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Thanks for the post. My dad is one of the surviving WWII veterans. He spent the war in the South Pacific, island hopping. I have several cousins who are Vietnam Vet's and while I'm a Vietnam era vet, I don't consider myself in the same class with them. God Bless them and watch over them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

great post
    S&W M&P 45c sold
    HK USPc 45 sold
    Glock 36M CC

Thank you for posting.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Very nice! Also, very true!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Unfortunately, very few care.

Stay safe,
    Vv

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    For the Vietnam Vets. Still in Saigon - YouTube
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    More true than a lot of us want to admit.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Like to thankyou.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    Thanks for posting this one Burger Boy...Agree with you msgt/ret.... Nha Trang and Phu Cat, 1 Aug 69 - 1 Aug 70, my unit 6994th Security Squadron Home Page , MIA/POW You are NOT Forgotten
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VNvet View Post
    Unfortunately, very few care.

Stay safe,
    Vv
    The tribute potentially means more to those of us who have only second- or third-hand knowledge of our countrymen's involvement in these conflicts.
    The most meaningful part of the site was the "Veteran's Day Message to the Younger Generation". The first half draws the contrast between today's social media and satellite technology. The second half speaks to our responsibility, as citizens, to cast an intelligent, informed vote as a debt to our vets living and deceased. In fact, intelligent and informed votes may prevent useless casualties and bring our soldiers out of harm's way or minimize their exposure in the first place.
    Winston Churchill said, "The greatest argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter."...
    Don't be one of those kids who can't answer the most basic of questions about the country you live in and which provides you with all of the jewels of freedom that are so easily taken for granted.
    That is the least you can do for the men and women you see on the stage before you. They put their lives on the line for you. Some of them have suffered the results for their entire lives. The biggest thanks you can give them is to take the rights they protected for you seriously. What you owe them is to care.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Links